Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Best outfitting for military dwarves?  (Read 9754 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Best outfitting for military dwarves?
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2016, 07:16:36 am »

Pick's edge is shorter, but what does the extra 62,5% velocity mean for it?

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2016, 11:57:43 am »

What if you embark somewhere without sedimentary layers and therefore no iron ore?  Your steel supply is very limited in that case.

Personally I like silver, at least of the metals I have a lot of, or platinum for special items.  Is that really best, though?  What do you do if you have no or little iron?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2016, 12:02:04 pm »

Skip straight to candy, or if that's not available bronze for edged weapons and armor. You could get some extra protection by wearing 6 layers of leather cloaks, as well, but I don't brother in part because iirc military are more adamant about keeping them on even in withered state.

Though I find iron more common than tin.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2016, 01:18:32 pm »

Silver warhammers can solve most problems. You don't need all that much Iron to outfit a few squads in it, but even if you don't have access to it silver warhammers + copper armor gets you pretty far. I find Goblins and other vanilla threats will generally struggle to get by a hammerlord's shield and parrying skills and with the force of a silver warhammer they don't get many chances to begin with.

I almost always take tetrahedrite when I embark because it's incredibly efficient at getting a decent military off the ground without costing too much.
Pages: 1 2 [3]