Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 158

Author Topic: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc  (Read 265513 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc
« Reply #840 on: July 06, 2017, 11:27:52 am »

Energy density has to be shit though - just look at all the oxygen in the molecule.

Your MOM is full of oxygen.
Naah, MOM contains just one oxygen.
There isn't an element with a shorthand that is just 'M' though, unless you flip it so it becomes WOW, the W being Tungsten.
M stands for Yourmomium.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: July 06, 2017, 12:25:25 pm »

Energy density has to be shit though - just look at all the oxygen in the molecule.

There isn't an element with a shorthand that is just 'M' though, unless you flip it so it becomes WOW, the W being Tungsten.
Context.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: July 06, 2017, 12:29:37 pm »

unless you flip it so it becomes WOW

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: July 06, 2017, 05:51:22 pm »

Uh, your mom is full of amino acids, which are amines and carboxyl groups.

HCO2H is 2/5 Hydrogen, but I've never thought of Oxygen as a... low energy atom, I mean, the various terrifying hydrogen compounds don't have shit on fun stuff you can do with a couple oxygens and a couple flourines.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: July 06, 2017, 06:29:46 pm »

The rest state of an oxygen compound tends towards stable. FOOF is hardly...  'stable'. That being the point (and or 'amusement potential') of it.

It all depends on which possibly elevated and small-in-size perch in the energy-landscape the molecule resides in, more than just which atoms are there.  N2 is fairly unreactive,  but C2N14 isn't. Unsurprisingly, to anyone who understands what an "Azidotetrazole" might be.  ;)

And hexanitrohexaazaisowurtzitane even has O2s in it. Not sure that helps, though.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: July 06, 2017, 06:42:27 pm »

Anything with more than 1 z is scary, if there is also more than 1 x I'm terrified before you start telling me that it has stuff like "tetra" or "nitro" or "hexa" and a "tane" for good measure.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: July 06, 2017, 06:53:44 pm »

A team of students from my hometown's university, that proved last year they could run a small miniature car on formic acid, has now upscaled their design.
Have the fellows released a scholarly article yet?
Would be very keen to give it a peek

Also, unsure if that was firsthand writing but if so, very journalism, much concise, well entertain, good read.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 06:56:12 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: July 06, 2017, 07:01:22 pm »

HCO2H is 2/5 Hydrogen, but I've never thought of Oxygen as a... low energy atom, I mean, the various terrifying hydrogen compounds don't have shit on fun stuff you can do with a couple oxygens and a couple flourines.
Unless you're looking at nuclear reactions, all the relevant energy is in the bonds, not the atoms themselves. And in formic acid a lot of bonds are already low-energy, since they're the same type of bond that occurs in the combustion product. It's not too inaccurate to think of formic acid as CO2 + H2, or rather CO + H2O. So for every hydrogen molecule that's "stored" in a molecule of formic acid, you're lugging around a whole molecule of carbon dioxide.

That's why gasoline is such a great fuel: All the bonds in there are energy-rich, so everything that you're lugging around with you is actually useful.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: July 06, 2017, 07:41:49 pm »

(After a bit of link-following...  I'm now intrigued by P3N21 Or, to be precise, 2.2.4.4.6.6hexa-azido-2.4.6-triphospha-1.3.5-triazine.  I better stop now, lest I get on a List or something.)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: July 07, 2017, 01:08:27 am »

A team of students from my hometown's university, that proved last year they could run a small miniature car on formic acid, has now upscaled their design.
Have the fellows released a scholarly article yet?
Would be very keen to give it a peek

Also, unsure if that was firsthand writing but if so, very journalism, much concise, well entertain, good read.
Not sure if they released a scholarly article yet. What I wrote was freely translated from a Volkskrant article.
here is the article:
http://www.volkskrant.nl/binnenland/deze-stadsbus-in-eindhoven-rijdt-nu-op-mierenzuur-en-dat-is-behoorlijk-revolutionair~a4504850/

Their scale model prototype, made in 2016, made all kinds of media though, including but not limited to Discovery Channel and Russia Today.

Here's a link to the university newspaper: https://www.tue.nl/en/university/news-and-press/news/03-07-2017-how-to-power-a-bus-on-formic-acid/
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: July 08, 2017, 09:03:31 am »

Powering things with formic acid has some interesting mind images. From horrid Alien-esque biotechnology. All the way to silly Flintstones derived ideas of "technology." "Oh, my ant engine has indigestion today."

Granted, I know formic acid exists outside of ant butts, but that's where its inextricably tied to in my mind.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: July 08, 2017, 02:15:20 pm »

[snipped stuff I knew][/snipped stuff I knew]
Feels like that post would have better served someone who lacks basic chemistry knowledge.
Powering things with formic acid has some interesting mind images. From horrid Alien-esque biotechnology. All the way to silly Flintstones derived ideas of "technology." "Oh, my ant engine has indigestion today."

Granted, I know formic acid exists outside of ant butts, but that's where its inextricably tied to in my mind.
I had the image of drone engines swarming after the queen engine grows wings and her mates join her.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: July 08, 2017, 04:23:03 pm »

You forgot the best part about formic acid. Who wouldn't like a car that has fuel that can double as meat tenderizer or salad dressing?

EDIT: hmmwait, I though vinegar also had formic acid as an ingredient. Apparently I remembered wrongly, it's acetic acid. Formic acid should be good as well though for meat and salads. The SAS survival handbook says the formic acid in ants, when eating them alive, gives them a fresh, lemon-like flavour.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 04:27:42 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: July 08, 2017, 05:22:32 pm »

EDIT: I forgot how to chemistry.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 11:43:41 pm by inteuniso »
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: July 08, 2017, 07:24:16 pm »

Formic Acid: H(CO)OH
Dicarboxylic Acid: HO(CO)R(CO)OH
Those - using a non-standard notation for this explanation only - are 'straight through' chains, each, with (CO) being a C in the chain having an O-double-bonded off to the side, and R  being pretty much any midchain radical you want, including nothing at all for Oxalic Acid, HO(CO)(CO)OH. Formic is monocarboxylic.

Similarly notated, we have Carbonic Acid that is HO(CO)OH and Acetic Acid that is H(CH2)(CO)OH. I'm looking at it carefully and sure that you can't conceivably get a simpler type of acid than Formic without it not being actually carboxylic at all, any more.

Unless you've found a good counterexample whilst using hemp-products, maybe...
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 158