Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 158

Author Topic: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc  (Read 265658 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc
« Reply #720 on: April 26, 2017, 04:48:43 am »

Not sure if this belongs here, or in science--

Scientists succeed in reaching milestone in artificial womb tech. Keep lambs alive for over a month in artificial amnionic sac.

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2017/04/25/525044286/scientists-create-artificial-womb-that-could-help-prematurely-born-babies
Cool shit.

In a *smack your forehead so hard a painting fell off the wall next door* type of moment I may have found a ray of hope for the new firefox setup. I can't find any signs that they're deprecating userChrome.css completely, just removing the addons that go through the XUL/XPCom system.

Code: (userChrome.css) [Select]
@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul"); /* only needed once */

#reader-mode-button,
#readinglist-addremove-button {
 display:none !important;
}

#TabsToolbar {   
    font-size:     16px !important;
    height:        22px !important;
    max-width:     1040px !important
-moz-box-ordinal-group: 21 !important;       
    margin-top: -4px !important;
    margin-right: 800px !important;
}

#nav-bar {
    font-size:     16px !important;
    height:        22px !important;
    min-height:    1px !important;
    max-width: 800px !important;
    margin-top: -22px !important;
margin-left: 1040px !important;
}

#urlbar .urlbar-textbox-container {
    height: 20px !important;
    margin-top: -8px !important;
}
Naturally someone who has different screen sizes/browser width/desired tab-to-urlbar-ratio would want to change the margin values there, but really I can't figure out at this point why I went through the process of using two different addons for a while (hide caption titlebar plus and classic theme restorer) and later just the CTR add-on for something I could accomplish with 30 lines in a .css file.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2017/02/16/the-road-to-firefox-57-compatibility-milestones/comment-page-1/#comment-223635

'Will userChrome.css and userContent.css still be working in Firefox 57 and up?'
"I don’t know of any plans to remove support for them."
'It is my understanding that using css code to modify the UI won’t be allowed. If true what can a person place in userChrome.css that would be allowed?'
"As long as it is supported, you can add any CSS like before. You just won’t be able to do it from an add-on."

So I guess the lesson is: if you can manage to slap some rules in a text file, don't panic?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: April 28, 2017, 12:57:53 am »

Stark Industries...
Unfortunate phrasing, though:
He was inspired by his father, an aeronautical engineer and inventor, who killed himself when Mr Browning was a teenager.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #722 on: May 06, 2017, 03:15:12 pm »

I mean, I think the good news is that anyone dogmatic enough to be ok with growing vat soldiers would also feel that the vat soldiers are subhuman, and so would probably be quickly deposed? Maybe?

What happened to all those superconductor breakthroughs last year? We were so close to a unified theory of superconductors that would let us design them from scratch, and then no new updates for a year.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: May 06, 2017, 06:11:49 pm »

SIGGRAPH 2017 technical papers preview video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YvIHREdVX4
Papers and videos for them can likely be found online if anything looks interesting to you.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 06:13:23 pm by alway »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: May 07, 2017, 06:51:46 am »

Looks impressive. The part with the Obama speech is slightly worrisome though. I guess it's time to deny video evidence from all court cases. Computer modelling is becoming too indistinguishable from real video, especially with the added ability to make people in videos say anything you want.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: May 07, 2017, 08:25:13 am »

How do you rely on your thoughts about the case when thoughts can be magnetically implanted?

EDIT: Yes the aluminium in the tinfoil hat makes implantation easier.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 11:03:24 am by inteuniso »
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: May 07, 2017, 10:42:32 am »

Looks impressive. The part with the Obama speech is slightly worrisome though. I guess it's time to deny video evidence from all court cases. Computer modelling is becoming too indistinguishable from real video, especially with the added ability to make people in videos say anything you want.
This was one of the talks last year, which was even more along those lines: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohmajJTcpNk

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: May 07, 2017, 01:57:19 pm »

We'll develop deep neural networks to discern real videos from ones made by the other deep neural networks.

It might be the case that using that fake voice editor leaves some fingerprints, e.g. the bit you edited would be mathematically linked to the unedited sample in a way that can be detected.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 01:58:56 pm by Reelya »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: May 07, 2017, 02:00:21 pm »

SIGGRAPH 2017 technical papers preview video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YvIHREdVX4
Papers and videos for them can likely be found online if anything looks interesting to you.
Detail Preservation In Piling Armadillos.

All of my wats.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: May 07, 2017, 02:02:23 pm »

I'm just weirded iut by the fact that they don't actually look like armadillos.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: May 07, 2017, 02:02:59 pm »

I briefly thought it was a reference to the Marvel one but it isn't him either.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: May 07, 2017, 02:09:25 pm »

It might be the case that using that fake voice editor leaves some fingerprints, e.g. the bit you edited would be mathematically linked to the unedited sample in a way that can be detected.
Something like what can be done for images, though with different criteria, obviously, and possibly in an arms-race as fake-it-apps perform their own pre-passing analysis and jiggling to normalise all the clues back to an indicative value no more than a background amount.  (Like checking that your loose steganography also obeys Benford's law, to foil trivial detection of patterns.)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: May 07, 2017, 02:48:23 pm »

It's a scan of an armadillo toy model thing, from the Stanford datasets https://graphics.stanford.edu/data/3Dscanrep/
And as noted on that page, along with the bunny, one of the few canonical models where distortion isn't generally frowned upon.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: May 07, 2017, 02:58:04 pm »

Give him some nunchaku and 80's-looking gear and he could be a villain in TMNT.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 158