Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 158

Author Topic: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc  (Read 265991 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc
« Reply #465 on: February 09, 2017, 07:01:38 am »

Japan will get around both the PR and technical issues here by sending in the most adorable robots ever to lead the clean-up efforts.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: February 09, 2017, 12:24:07 pm »

Mentioning Nippon, apparently Fukushima's radiation levels are now higher than ever, and may now be considered as the worst nuclear disaster in the history of humanity, surpassing Chernobyl.

You also gotta wonder if it's just that the Soviets didn't have fancy robots to measure the radiation level in Chernobyl.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 06:52:03 am by Sheb »

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #467 on: February 09, 2017, 02:23:50 pm »

Mentioning Nippon, apparently Fukushima's radiation levels are now higher than ever, and may now be considered as the worst nuclear disaster in the history of humanity, surpassing Chernobyl.

Hey, it's only the worst nuclear disaster in recorded history. There could be all kinds of prehistoric disasters that were worse. Come to think of it, when the human population was in the bottleneck period, a couple dozen people with bad sunburns would mean that, proportionately, a large portion of the species had radiation burns.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: February 09, 2017, 05:14:11 pm »

Designing a disaster the worse based on radioactivity level rather than number of victims seems weird to me.

Well, highly radioactive land is basically useless, and probably not very good in terms of wildlife/environment.

But yeah, People dying is probably worse than people not dying.  Doesn't mean people won't start hating nuclear power forever, though.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: February 09, 2017, 05:23:36 pm »

Nah..  Radioactivity isn't forever.  And the worse it is initially, the shorter the half-lifes, and/or the less "forever" will the people be to complain about it!

(Some poetic interpretations made.)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: February 09, 2017, 05:28:14 pm »

It actually makes a good nature reserve. The whole "radioactive desert" idea is really just a science fiction idea, and doesn't reflect the reality of irradiated wilderness.

The thing about mutations and mutants from radiation is BS because of sexual reproduction, genetic recombination and natural selection. Basically a gene pool has a lot of redundancy, and at each generation the gene pool is being reshuffled, while the worst mutations are being weeded out constantly. Basically a high mutation rate pushes the gene pool away from equilibrium but the further the gene pool goes from equilibrium the faster natural selection actually works - because suboptimal animals die off a lot faster than near-optimal ones. Even if all individual animals are compromised to some degree, only ones with at least the bare minimum needed to replicate go on to breed, and it doesn't take many generations to "patch" the proper genome back together because of the large amount of redundant copies spread across the population.

So the whole idea of e.g. three-eyed or two headed dogs that breed true from nuclear radiation is just BS. They're going to return to being normal dogs in no time flat, because having two heads isn't a benefit, and if it didn't evolve in millions of years there's no specific reason to think that it's going to be a good design now in a handful of years at a higher mutation rate.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 05:32:19 pm by Reelya »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: February 11, 2017, 09:41:27 pm »

Not sure if this is the best thread to say so, but it's the closest I could find to say that Grace Hopper gets honoured at Yale, and at the expense of somebody else who I'm not going to worry about.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: February 11, 2017, 10:09:31 pm »

This article was amended on 9 February to explain that the camera had probed deeper inside the No 2 reactor – and closer to the damaged nuclear fuel – than before, hence the high radiation estimate.
They stuck the camera right up inside the reactor, there aren't spots where you can just be in the vicinity and receive 530 Sieverts or something, you'd have to be able to climb down inside the reactor itself and stick your head in the most dangerous microwave ever, which, well, let's just call that natural selection?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
50 Sv from standing next to the Chernobyl reactor for 10 minutes after the explosion.

I would not be surprised if you could go stick your head inside the wreckage of Chernobyl's reactors and receive hundreds of Sv.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: February 11, 2017, 10:38:13 pm »

You also gotta wonder if it's just that the Soviets didn't have fancy robots to measure the radiation level in Chernobyl.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x223h9r_bbc-horizon-1996-inside-chernobyl-s-sarcophagus_shortfilms
Go to 20 minutes in. (Then watch the whole thing because it's excellent)
Also of note, robots shown at 12 minutes in, pushing material back into the core shutting down (hence why the robots in the articles about fukushima are listed as having an expected lifetime dose). The issue at Chernobyl wasn't so much the level of radiation in the core (not really a bad thing) but the fact that half the core was on the roof and surrounding area (a rather bad thing).
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 10:52:43 pm by alway »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: February 11, 2017, 11:21:10 pm »

Plus the roof was missing, the dude who talked about seeing "a column of blue light" was probably describing steam from the explosion being illuminated by Cherenkov glow, which is one of those "my god that's the most beautiful and terrifying thing I've ever seen" moments, after which he went inside with the others who knew they had to shut it down and contain it however they could, though that was kinda moot after the two went in for the control rod lowering controls to discover they could see the exposed core and got a tan from the radiation dose.

They did have robots at Chernobyl btw, one of the interviews has someone noting that "the problem was when the high levels of radiation reach the robot it stops being a robot and turns into a chunk of metal and plastic" so they used "bio-robots" or "dudes in hazard suits" to remove material.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: February 14, 2017, 05:54:22 pm »

Taxis the Dahir Insaat way
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: February 15, 2017, 02:08:02 am »

Hover cars, finally?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: February 15, 2017, 04:00:59 am »

How about we cut the middle man out and you live in a hover pod that attaches itself to a central cluster? Then when it's time to get up and go somewhere your hover pod drops you off in a "just in time" fashion.

But there's one good thing about all this: automated driving etc will give people who have money a lot more free time to kill. That will increase the amount they spend on digital content such as games and movies, so there will be more job growth in those areas.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 04:03:02 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 158