Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 158

Author Topic: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc  (Read 265550 times)

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc
« Reply #166 on: October 07, 2016, 06:50:04 pm »

« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 12:24:17 pm by Reelya »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 10, 2016, 10:02:00 pm »

PTW.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 10, 2016, 10:04:45 pm »

can't remember if I've posted in here, so ptw
It's FEF, not FEOF

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 11, 2016, 05:16:56 am »

RIP Samsung Galaxy Note 7. They decided to completely abandon the production line, and withdraw all deliveries.
So if you pre-ordered one, you can forget about ever getting it. If you're lucky, you will get a refund. (If Samsung doesn't go bankrupt that is)

It's expected to cost Samsung 15 billion, if not more. Maybe RIP Samsung.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 11, 2016, 05:27:13 am »

That's kinda badass.
I think that an actual yearly even that showcases the advances made in prosthetic technology is a really good idea. I hope it really takes off - I'd like to spectate at one sometime, anyway.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 11, 2016, 05:30:34 am »

RIP Samsung Galaxy Note 7. They decided to completely abandon the production line, and withdraw all deliveries.
So if you pre-ordered one, you can forget about ever getting it. If you're lucky, you will get a refund. (If Samsung doesn't go bankrupt that is)

It's expected to cost Samsung 15 billion, if not more. Maybe RIP Samsung.
How did that reach market?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 11, 2016, 07:28:51 am »

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 11, 2016, 08:02:42 am »

How did that reach market?
Sales boomed
They were hot stuff, flying off the shelves.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 11, 2016, 08:08:20 am »

Masterfuly crafted !!phone!!. It menaces with spikes of HOT PLASMA.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #176 on: October 11, 2016, 11:17:27 am »

We're going to Mars a lot now.

Like, Elon Musk, China, and the USA are all probably going to try to use the same launch window at this rate. Which would certainly be interesting.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 11, 2016, 11:25:22 am »

You know that scene in Iron Sky just after the USS George W. Bush calls for help..?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 12, 2016, 08:49:04 am »

Good news folks, Comcast confirms that they have no intention of trying to improve their networks to handle 4k video or anything beyond that because 1 TB is totally a lot guys.

They even put out a condescending little video talking about how "you could watch like 620 hours of video, there are only 720 in a month!" and though they offered a nod to the correct pronunciation of .gif (like the peanut butter), they immediately reverted to the incorrect one.

"Well doing nothing but watch videos for an entire month all day every day does seem excessive" you say?

That's assuming ~1.3 Gigabytes per hour, or 1920x1080 resolution. Got a larger screen? One-a-them fancy new Vee-Arr gadgets you wear on yer face that are really better with 4k or even 8k content? Well, still, it's not like you would ever need more than 1 TB/Month, right? I mean, where would you even buffer it, since nobody ever needed more than 640K of memory either?

Just for the heck of it, I put in a complaint to the FCC, the specific thing I complained about can be summed up as "Why is it ok for them to agree to a contract with me where I am paying for 1 month of 85 Mbps Down/12 Mbps Up service, when I could at most use it like that for 26 hours according to their new caps?" though I went ahead and noted that I "would be happy to shop around and see what the competitors offer, except there aren't any, which sounds kind of like a monopoly. Isn't that illegal?" and thanked them for reading.

Will it do any good, I dunno, someone in the comments claimed the FCC can't even do anything about it, but if the Federal Communications Commission exists for reasons beyond dealing with a monopolistic company deciding to state outright that they don't intend to improve their networks so if we want to use more data we gotta pay, then I'm not sure what it is there for, but oh hey, if they do decide to deliver faster service, at least now we know we better get all lubed up and bent over beforehand!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 12, 2016, 09:03:00 am »

Well no one ever said  comcast had a good reason for caps. Them making it 1TB is just to sound like large numbers so they can try to hide cablecutters under bigger internet fees.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 158