Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 158

Author Topic: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc  (Read 265472 times)

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
Re: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc
« Reply #855 on: July 08, 2017, 11:53:34 pm »

No, you're correct.  HO(CO)(CO)OH [//no R] has uses besides crystallization/formation of amino acids, but I'm not quite sure of all of them yet.

Back on the Formic acid front, though, I wonder if it can be used as a catalyst for crystallizing carbon into sheets of graphene? There certainly seems to be enough of the stuff floating around, more accessible to people than hemp straw. I think. I'm not really sure of the specifics of how industry works.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: July 09, 2017, 02:10:01 am »

They're calling their formic acid mix Hydrozine? That seems like a terrible name for a domestic vehicle fuel, considering that the better-known Hydrazine is a highly volatile and toxic compound once used as a component of the rocket fuel in the Messerschmitt Me 163 Komet and also used in the space shuttle boosters.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 02:13:58 am by Reelya »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: July 09, 2017, 02:13:53 am »

Well, compared to my own prior suggestion:
I would have lobbied to call it "anty-hydrogen"...  ;)
…hydr(a|o)zine is positively benign!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: July 09, 2017, 02:34:53 am »

That gets confusing quickly.  If you say you want anti-anty hydrogen, do you mean that it is the antimatter equivalent to formic acid, made entirely of antiatoms, or do you mean that there is some alternative to ants, such as say, termites, that causes violent mutual annihilation upon exposure?

See, this gets very confusing very quickly...

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: July 09, 2017, 04:37:18 am »

See, this gets very confusing very quickly...

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: October 12, 2017, 01:56:03 pm »

The student team from Delft university managed to get their car battery cleared from the Singapore airport in time to participate in the yearly Bridgestone World Solar Challenge in Australia...
And they won it for the 7th time!

It took them 4 days and 6 hours to complete the 3000km track through Australia, with a top speed of 110 km/h, and an average speed of over 80 km/h.

Not bad, for self-sufficient solar power

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuna

wiki not updated yet for latest win
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 01:59:46 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: October 12, 2017, 02:11:14 pm »

That's nice in terms of engineering, but if you want to convince people that it's a viable tech you want to look at the cruiser class:

Sunswift can travel 500 km on a single battery charge, or 800 km with battery + solar. Also, it has a passenger seat. So ... about 40% of the power needed for this car can come from solar. That's getting there, you could see how with design and material improvements you could get another 20-30% of the way, then if they can get photovoltaic cells above 30% efficiency (they're 23% now) then you're heading towards viable solar car territory.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 02:22:12 pm by Reelya »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: October 12, 2017, 02:14:02 pm »

Yeah, my hometown university has been working on that for quite a while now as well.

https://solarteameindhoven.nl/stella-vie/stella-lux/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuND8epNLec

full documentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SMCZ-lXBvA
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 02:17:47 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: October 12, 2017, 02:15:10 pm »

I just posted a (different, just to not repeat myself) link to this about a high temperature pump in the Science thread, while searching for this one. You must have updated the thread timestamp whilst I was flipping past its newer location, before I got to its older chronological one, then I saw the Science one.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: October 12, 2017, 02:30:25 pm »

The current breakthrough solar tech has an efficiency of 40%, by using layers which trap different frequencies. That hasn't trickled down to the solar car people yet however, who are using 23-26% cells. So the next-gen solar cars could be using much better cells.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: November 03, 2017, 10:37:38 am »

Nobody could have predicted this outcome.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: November 03, 2017, 12:28:19 pm »

But how much did doing the massive government report add to global warming? Answer me that, scientists. /s

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: November 03, 2017, 02:26:37 pm »

I still think (and I've said it often, so forgive me if I've already repeated it here on this forum) that most people - at least in the US - don't really care if global warming is man-made or not.  What people care about is how much it's going to personally cost them to fix in either direct costs or in terms of having to give up something they currently enjoy.

It also doesn't help that if one person sacrifices, it means almost nothing - it's kind of like immunizations. You need 95% of the population to take action to have any meaningful effect.

It's also annoying when as an individual you can reduce commuting, buy an electric car, whatever, and then you see a garbage truck belching black sooty smoke down the street, which just basically erased every action you took.

Part of it is that the mitigating technologies are more expensive today than their alternatives, with the idea that in the future costs will be lower - but that's a tough concept for most people.  Just look at electric cars - they have an easily computable lower TCO compared to ICE, but their up-front costs for a comparable vehicle are higher - so people opt for the cheaper out-of-pocket cost even though the cumulative cost is higher.  Heck, that happens with loans in general - "I can't afford $30k for a car, but I can afford 48 payments of $700!"

Also consider Tesla's powerwall - yeah it's got a really low $/kW-hr, but you still have to buy a lot of kW-hr - you can't buy $100 worth of powerwall, you can only buy $14k worth of powerwall.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #869 on: November 03, 2017, 02:43:20 pm »

On a tech note, its currently page 00000010 (big-endian)
128bit dwarf fortress when. (Well, its already partially 128bit thanks to SSE, but fully 128bit when.)
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 158