Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 158

Author Topic: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc  (Read 265515 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc
« Reply #825 on: June 28, 2017, 02:25:46 am »

Something which will change it from a moral quandry into a moral certainty, simply by being more economically viable.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: June 28, 2017, 02:28:16 am »

The civil war in the US was as much economically driven as it was sociologically driven. Much of the slavery that went on had little if anything to do with agricultural processes either.

http://teachinghistory.org/history-content/beyond-the-textbook/23912

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: June 28, 2017, 04:50:06 am »

Will this result in Cattle Emancipation?

(Jokes about not-your-type-of-voter already mindlessly herd-voting for not-your-choice-of-result will now be considered obligatory. Or flock-voting if they also do poultry. Turkeys/Christmas being a given.)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: June 28, 2017, 04:59:35 am »

(Emancipated bovines joining the union army. Cows with Guns reference)
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: June 28, 2017, 05:29:46 am »

Similarly, there's synthetic milk coming onto the market which uses modified plant sources to make milk proteins, so the taste is much closer to real milk. Also, it can be used as the basis for non-dairy cheeses and yogurts without having to vastly change things. This stuff could take over because the land use and water requirements are far less than a dairy farm.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 05:31:38 am by Reelya »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: June 28, 2017, 05:32:14 am »

Considering the vast majority of dairy farms in the first world operate at a loss, why the heck not.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: June 28, 2017, 05:37:47 am »

Fat content?

I cant STAND 2% milk. Vile, horrible stuff.  Sadly, also becoming lactose intolerant it seems. Do much better with the best value fake lactaid (as in generic brand) milk-- but still get the whole milk kind.

Plant protein derived alternative would probably be cheaper, and if it had the right fat content, and tasted right (the lactaid stuff is sweeter than normal milk, because the lactose is broken down by lactase in the milk) I would be down for it-- but if it reproduces the taste and mouth feel of 2%, fuck that shit.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: June 28, 2017, 05:56:46 am »

You'll be happy to know the synth-milk they're making doesn't contain lactose. They already know that lactose intolerance is a thing, so they used plant sugars along with casein/whey proteins.

I'm sure they'll make a range of fat contents as well.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: July 06, 2017, 04:30:52 am »

A team of students from my hometown's university, that proved last year they could run a small miniature car on formic acid, has now upscaled their design.
Eindhoven is now the first city in the world to have a city bus that runs on formic acid.

Formic acid is interesting, because it's a good energy carrier, and contrary to hydrogen, can be stored at room temperature without needing pressure tanks.
It also is not flammable, and cannot explode. It's nicknamed 'Hydrogen 2.0' by the student team. It is also CO2-neutral.

Formic acid can be created by having CO2 and H2 react with each other. It can then be easily stored in plastic tanks. To turn it into power for an electric engine, two steps are nescessary. First a reformer (catalyst) turnes the formic acid back into CO2 and H2, then the latter is used by fuel cells to produce water and electricity.

Up until recently, it was hard to produce the hydrogen fast, and in meaningful quantities. With another invention from Eindhoven University, namely that adding ruthenium to the catalyst vastly increased performance, the students had no trouble upsizing their engine prototype to a size that can drive a city bus.

"One of the main challenges was to create a reliable reformer, one that doesn't break every week. The reformer that drives the bus now, has been performing without falure for three months now during the test phase. In our lab, we have a similar reformer that has been running non stop for 2 years now.
Another big challenge was increasing reformer speed, so it could be made smaller. Our first prototype had a volume of 200 liters. Our current design is only 20. It produces enough hydrogen per minute to allow the fuel cells to provide 10 to 15 kW netto output."

Now this isn't strong enough to drive the bus. However, it is enough to keep the bus' batteries charged over the course of the day. With a tank of 300 liters of formic acid, the action radius of the electric bus increases from 80 to 300 kilometers. This means in practice, that the city busses will no longer need to return to loading stations to reacharge their batteries during their daily schedules.

The main benefit of formic acid, is that it can be tanked easily. This makes it suitable for normal cars as well. With 50 liters of formic acid, an electric car would be able to drive about 250km. Gas station owners who want to supply formic acid don't need to invest 1.5 million like they would need for hydrogen service. For a mere 30-40k existing tanks and pumps can be refitted.

There's still challenges though. For instance, a lot of energy is lost in the transition. the so called 'wheel to wheel ratio' of formic acid is about 33%, meaning that two thirds of the energy put into the system is wasted. Still better than hydrogen though, which has a wheel to wheel ratio of 25%.

Another big advantage is that formic acid tanks can be shaped and molded into any desired form. Contrary to hydrogen tanks, which need to be cylindrical to withstand the huge 700 bar pressure. This restriction has made it hard to fit fuel tanks for more than 5 liters of hydrogen into a car. Obviously, formic acid tanks allow for much more design freedom.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: July 06, 2017, 07:25:52 am »

Energy density has to be shit though - just look at all the oxygen in the molecule.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: July 06, 2017, 07:28:34 am »

Energy density has to be shit though - just look at all the oxygen in the molecule.

Your MOM is full of oxygen.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: July 06, 2017, 07:37:49 am »

-snip-
Now watch as it goes nowhere for decades because of the oil lobbyists.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: July 06, 2017, 09:28:49 am »

It's nicknamed 'Hydrogen 2.0' by the student team.
I would have lobbied to call it "anty-hydrogen"...  ;)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: July 06, 2017, 10:42:15 am »

Naah, MOM contains just one oxygen.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: July 06, 2017, 11:25:22 am »

Naah, MOM contains just one oxygen.

There isn't an element with a shorthand that is just 'M' though, unless you flip it so it becomes WOW, the W being Tungsten.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 158