Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 158

Author Topic: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc  (Read 265538 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc
« Reply #795 on: June 14, 2017, 08:09:16 am »

Fuck that, I want to be able to sprinkle some powder in a fabber and have it spit out a chunk of filet mignon!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: June 14, 2017, 08:40:36 am »

Actually there is a sound economic basis for welfare, you can derive it from what's called fiscal multipliers. e.g. a dollar spent on any particular thing is going to stimulate the economy to some degree, and that's different depending on what you spend it on.

For example, tax breaks for millionaires produce 30 cents of GDP for every dollar returned. So if you tax a millionaire $1 extra, you lose 30 cents in GDP, and if you give back $1 you gain 30 cents in GDP.

However ... food stamps produce about $1.70 in GDP for every dollar spent. That's because that dollar goes through the most possible people's hands before it's saved in a bank account somewhere. So, a millionaire's big fat bank account isn't actually a very efficient form of economic stimulus. If you take a dollar from him and give it to some poor person, the overall national GDP will rise by almost $1.50.

So there's nothing fucking magical about tax breaks that makes more GDP happen. If you give back $1 in taxes, we already know how much GDP is going to be impacted by that, we have the data on that. Taxes are just negative spending and spending is just negative taxes.

The apologists for the rich like to talk about the economy like it's a zero-sum game, as if, if we stop feeding the poor then the middle class will "get their taxes back" but this is bullshit. A starving underclass is going to drive down your wages through wage competition, probably losing you more wealth than any theoretical saving. Meanwhile, crime will skyrocket due to deprivation and hunger, and they'll spend 50 times as much as welfare ever cost, locking up the starving peasants in prison.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 08:51:49 am by Reelya »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: June 14, 2017, 12:14:13 pm »

Aaaaand... another Uber top man is forced to resign.
74-year old billionaire and board member David Bonderman is forced to resign, after making a sexist joke on a board meeting on how to combat the sexism within Uber's culture.

When fellow board member Arianna Huffington said that having one female board member increases the chance of getting another female board member, Bonderman replied that "the only chance that increases is the chance for more bullocks".

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: June 14, 2017, 02:16:48 pm »

[/b]When fellow board member Arianna Huffington said that having one female board member increases the chance of getting another female board member, Bonderman replied that "the only chance that increases is the chance for more bullocks".

How can you be that bad at anatomy?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: June 14, 2017, 07:05:33 pm »

When he says 'Bullocks' does he mean young male cattle?
Because that sounds like reverse sexism.

So there's nothing fucking magical about tax breaks that makes more GDP happen.
On the one hand that's really interesting stuff, and on the other hand, the whole 'More poor people spending more poordollars on their little necessities is good for the economy' thing makes me feel even more depressed.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 07:08:20 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: June 14, 2017, 07:43:31 pm »

The traditional meaning of bullock is a castrated male bull. The guy's pretty old so my guess is that he meant that deliberately, i.e. women board members would "castrate" the men, turning them into girly men instead of cigar smoking, whisky-chugging men's men.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 07:45:36 pm by Reelya »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: June 14, 2017, 09:07:04 pm »

Quote from: Wiku
Bullock may refer to:

Bullock (in British English), a castrated male bovine animal of any age
    Bullock (in North America), a young bull (an uncastrated male bovine animal)
    Bullock (in Australia and New Zealand), an ox, an adult bovine animal used for draught (usually but not always a castrated male)
UBER is an American company yeah?

My guess was 'Having a woman on the board will attract a bunch of young blood'.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: June 14, 2017, 09:11:04 pm »

wtf that's the opposite meaning between ameringlish and bringlish.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: June 14, 2017, 10:51:16 pm »

The guy is 74 years old, my guess is that his use of the language could be a little different. "Bullock" isn't a term that comes up in general conversation, like at all. So I think saying that he must be for sure be using one dictionary meaning over the other since he's an American isn't actually much of a sure thing.

I think it's clear that "attracting young blood" to the company wasn't the meaning. Maybe he meant that having women around would turn the guys into horny animals instead.

Or ... he could have meant bollocks / bullshit but it's been reported as "bullocks" because the US press doesn't know the slang.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 10:59:45 pm by Reelya »

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: June 14, 2017, 11:13:45 pm »

... Has no one here ever heard or used bollocks in a sentence before? A load of bollocks? That's bollocks? You've bollocksed it up?
The former two uses, as a noun, are synonyms of 'nonsense.' As a verb, is 'to make a mess of things.' With testicular overtones to give it the quality of a swear word. They're certainly not using some technical farming term; the only time a bunch of rich execs have even seen a farm in person was probably when their private $15k a year elementary school took them on a field trip to one. They're saying 'more women = more problematic messes with sexism like the ones we currently have.' A fairly common justification at terrible tech workplaces which constantly get sued for repeatedly failing to deal with their company's internal sexism and sexual harassment problems.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: June 15, 2017, 12:21:10 am »

Damn. Probably right. For some reason I thought old fashioned Texan rancher.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: June 15, 2017, 12:29:37 am »

Actually, I'm having trouble finding any reference that has Martinuz's wording in it. Martinuz provided the reference in quotations so it would look like a quote, but searching for that quote (or the word bullock in this context) doesn't bring up any references. So perhaps Martinuz got this from the Dutch press and there's been some sort of comminucations failure one way or the other?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: June 15, 2017, 12:40:10 am »

And yet he's being asked to resign.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: June 15, 2017, 01:58:59 am »

Alway, he said "Bullock", so unless it's a misspelling, then it's not "bollocks"
I probably misspelled it. I am not sure if he actually said bollocks, I translated it back from dutch from being translated from english. He said something along the line of 'bollocks, drivel, tattle, twaddle, etc.'
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: June 15, 2017, 02:04:04 am »

My guess is that it was "Balls in the room", referring to the conception that this woman had a pair by making such a statement (more women needed) at the board meeting.

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 158