Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 158

Author Topic: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc  (Read 265830 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc
« Reply #1950 on: August 09, 2019, 06:37:18 pm »

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/08/severe-local-0-day-escalation-exploit-found-in-steam-client-services/

Earlier today, disgruntled security researcher Vasily Kravets released a zero-day vulnerability in the Windows version of the ubiquitous gaming service Steam. The vulnerability allows any user to run arbitrary code with LOCALSYSTEM privileges using just a very few simple commands.

Is it time to panic?

Looks like Steam just fixed it in their beta* or something as it just updated a bit ago with this in the changelog:
Steam Windows Service
Fixed privilege escalation exploit using symbolic links in Windows registry

*I opted into the Steam Beta a while back when they borked text size and didn't bother changing back.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: August 10, 2019, 07:08:23 am »

Mere seconds after posting updated instruction for the steam bug, centurylink, my isp, decides it needs to go down.  Posting from my phone, via cellular.

American ISPs are great, ya?

It isn't so bad. Mine has 9 fives uptime.
It's OK. My ISP has assigned my home router an IP address that is on an Akamai blacklist.  Some of my bill-pay websites now just give me Akamai's infamous "Access Denied" error.

DHCP renew doesn't work on my end, so I'm going to have to call them to fix it.

I can work around it by plugging my computer directly into the modem, so it's not critical, but I'm annoyed for at least these reasons:
1. ISP doesn't assign different IP addresses when I do a DHCP renew.
2. Some third party has the ability to block my IP without my knowledge, for unknown reasons.
3. The tech support at my bill-pay site wasn't able to figure out that the error message I was getting was an Akamai block, but I was.
4. I will have to call my ISP to ask for a new address.

This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: August 10, 2019, 12:00:11 pm »

I can confirm windows 10 looks completely different on that front, instead of those two options there's just a disable button, which I don't know if that will do the same thing or not tbh

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: August 12, 2019, 09:01:21 pm »

Yeah, it does the same thing, click it and it will prompt you to choose if you want to convert the inherited permissions to explicit permissions on the object(yes, this is what we want) or if you just want to rid it of all permissions.
 Choose the first option and then proceed exactly as Wierd showed, you will double-click the group you want to edit. It will look a bit different, you need to click "show advanced permissions" or something like that. It is not in columns, but it shows the same items as the pic Wierd sent us.
 Give permissions to the administrator group and remove the permissions wierd stated(set value, create subkey, create link, delete, write DAC, write owner) from the users group.

EDIT:
I am driving a win7 machine, because I hate win10.  That might be part of it.  I can make pictures though. Hold on.
Different since win8, yeah.

Also, just move to win 10 already mate. You are very knowledgeable though, I can't tell you anything you don't already know, but all that means is that you are aware that you should've made the switch way earlier.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 09:06:46 pm by Magistrum »
In a time before time, I had a name.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: August 12, 2019, 09:13:47 pm »

Built a computer for father-in-law recently, got it where it boots and is ready for a system install, he asked me if I had experience with win 10.

I laughed, haven't got a clue how to install that shit, can't even remember how to do a fresh install of arch anymore but it bootstraps just fine to new systems.

As for permissions, chmod --help but I don't think w10 has incorporated all of  that yet, though it does handle some native linux stuff better now.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: August 12, 2019, 09:27:43 pm »

Russian nuclear-powered cruise missile

So Russia is experimenting with Nuclear-powered missiles. These missiles would be capable of flying significantly higher and further, and staying in the air much longer compared to non-nuclear-powered missiles. One of them just exploded.

Can someone smart please reassure me that this definitely is not going to end with radioactive material being released into the upper atmosphere and then carried by the winds to every corner of the earth and leaving nothing alive except cockroaches?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: August 12, 2019, 09:37:22 pm »

Well, for one thing a single missile exploding wouldn't be a world ending event even if it was a dirty bomb.

On the large scale of what happens if we start using nuclear powered rockets, well, it depends.  There are both closed cycle nuclear rocket and jet engines, which don't release nuclear material, and open cycle engines which do.  I'm pretty sure open cycle engines are lighter and have better performance, so it would be tempting to use that for a rocket engine.

If it could be proven that's what's happening I'd expect extreme domestic and international outrage at the risks imposed by that, even if the rockets didn't otherwise violate any treaties and carried conventional warheads.

I'm not sure just what kind of volume of open cycle nuclear rocket engines being used we'd have to see for there to be detectable environmental effects, but I'd be surprised if it's feasible to make an apocalypse that way.  At least by accident.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: August 12, 2019, 10:37:26 pm »

Russian nuclear-powered cruise missile

So Russia is experimenting with Nuclear-powered missiles. These missiles would be capable of flying significantly higher and further, and staying in the air much longer compared to non-nuclear-powered missiles. One of them just exploded.

Can someone smart please reassure me that this definitely is not going to end with radioactive material being released into the upper atmosphere and then carried by the winds to every corner of the earth and leaving nothing alive except cockroaches?
of course it won't, the cockroaches will die off come winter

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: August 12, 2019, 11:03:30 pm »

Yeah, it does the same thing, click it and it will prompt you to choose if you want to convert the inherited permissions to explicit permissions on the object(yes, this is what we want) or if you just want to rid it of all permissions.
 Choose the first option and then proceed exactly as Wierd showed, you will double-click the group you want to edit. It will look a bit different, you need to click "show advanced permissions" or something like that. It is not in columns, but it shows the same items as the pic Wierd sent us.
 Give permissions to the administrator group and remove the permissions wierd stated(set value, create subkey, create link, delete, write DAC, write owner) from the users group.

EDIT:
I am driving a win7 machine, because I hate win10.  That might be part of it.  I can make pictures though. Hold on.
Different since win8, yeah.

Also, just move to win 10 already mate. You are very knowledgeable though, I can't tell you anything you don't already know, but all that means is that you are aware that you should've made the switch way earlier.

The plan is to run out the clock on win7, then go all on-board with Mint, or Xubuntu.

unless microsoft backtracks hard on how it treats power users, I will not be using their OS, even for games.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: August 13, 2019, 01:07:59 am »

Well, it's a cruise missile. They don't go into the upper atmosphere in the first place; they cruise like airplanes, hence the name. ICBMs are the ones that go in ballistic suborbital arcs.

It looks like the Skyfall is an attempt to build a cruise missile with intercontinental range so as to avoid our anti-missile defenses and demonstrate a new capacity to destroy Washington Mar-A-Lago with impunity.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: August 13, 2019, 01:23:11 am »

Trade wars, recessions, and cold wars...

Tell me again, when will the shadow of the McCarthy era finally dissolve?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: August 13, 2019, 01:26:47 am »

This is a fallacy. Cockroaches won't survive without humans, they're dependent on our urban ecosystems.

But you'd need a lot of those missiles to explode or release fallout for that to even happen.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: August 13, 2019, 01:29:54 am »

This is a fallacy. Cockroaches won't survive without humans, they're dependent on our urban ecosystems.

But you'd need a lot of those missiles to explode or release fallout for that to even happen.

Just the ones dependent on the urban ecosystems anyway.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: August 13, 2019, 01:33:12 am »

German roaches are quite capable of living outside, they just have this nasty problem of every insect predator in the universe finding them irresistibly delicious.  (It's one of the reasons why they are such prolific type R strategists, and subsequently, why they are so hard to eradicate in human controlled ecosystems where predators are kept down, and food supplies are abundant.)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: August 13, 2019, 04:26:28 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 07:52:00 pm by dragdeler »
let
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 158