Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 158

Author Topic: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc  (Read 265508 times)

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc
« Reply #180 on: October 12, 2016, 11:22:30 pm »

Will it do any good, I dunno, someone in the comments claimed the FCC can't even do anything about it, but if the Federal Communications Commission exists for reasons beyond dealing with a monopolistic company deciding to state outright that they don't intend to improve their networks so if we want to use more data we gotta pay, then I'm not sure what it is there for, but oh hey, if they do decide to deliver faster service, at least now we know we better get all lubed up and bent over beforehand!
Political control of the airwaves, regulation of bleed-over station interference, regulation of civil defense and rescue stations?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 12, 2016, 11:52:39 pm »

Plus the internet analogue of those, but seriously, where exactly else would busting up a service monopoly fall, and if it isn't the FCC, who would be best to push the observation that the internet should probably be a utility with appropriate regulations and management, because otherwise we end up with unchecked monopolies like Comcast?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 12, 2016, 11:55:22 pm »

A time crystal, a four-dimensional molecular structure that oscillates continuously at its lowest energy state due to timey-wimey bullshit, has been observed in a lab
Shoes...

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 13, 2016, 12:00:45 am »

I don't think that is the link you meant to provide?

https://arxiv.org/abs/1609.08684 is the preprint though.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 13, 2016, 12:06:59 am »

I don't think that is the link you meant to provide?

https://arxiv.org/abs/1609.08684 is the preprint though.

A perpetual motion device with a song about how we're gonna be rich as hell off perpetual motion technology?  No, that was indeed the link I meant to link.
Shoes...

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 13, 2016, 01:03:18 am »

Oh, I didn't listen to the song, just saw this douchebag kid and "WWE" pop up and closed the youtube tab, as for the overbalanced wheel... really?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 13, 2016, 01:06:54 am »

It's a joke dude.  Time crystals can theoretically continue to oscillate with no energy input forever so I made a joke about perpetual motion devices and all the money.

I
Shoes...

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 13, 2016, 01:09:55 am »

Ah, but you didn't include a link to the actual meat of the story. I had missed the time crystal blurb pop up in my periodic checks of various science news sites so the gif and youtube link were very disappointing.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 13, 2016, 01:44:07 am »

(There was a song? No sound on my device, though the URL had me expecting thst...)

If it aint dilithium, I'm not interested in four dimensional crystals with possible time-related applications

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 13, 2016, 01:44:59 am »

It was the Shane McMahon theme song, better known as the "here comes the moneeeeeey" in Dunkey videos.
Shoes...

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #190 on: October 13, 2016, 02:22:51 am »

They change shape without energy, huh...? So what happens when you make something like cellular automata with them? :D We know some of the rules are turing-complete...
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 13, 2016, 03:46:14 am »

Since it's at ground-state it doesn't actually produce any energy, so probably not much.  They oscillate between two states at a constant rate forever, even past heat death.  There's probably not many applications outside of timey-wimey experimental shit, but I can't post memes about that.
Shoes...

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 13, 2016, 04:32:12 am »

Well, the crystal being discussed is a string of interacting ytterbium ions which are triggered to flip spin orientation via laser pulses, which can be accompanied by tuning which sets up a spin-spin interaction with the rest of the string, and optical effects from other lasers are used to set up a disordered MBL or many-body localization effect with the electromagnetic fields they produce.

When you trigger the flip effect the system just oscillates back and forth, it's the dna helix looking pattern on the left here, labeled (a).

When you add the disorder effect it produces a much noiser state oscillation, the second from the left, labeled (b).

When you add the spin-spin interaction along with the other two it stops oscillating and evolves in a smooth fashion over time, the third from the left, labeled (c).

If you increase the amount of spin-spin interaction too high the system tends towards a noisy state, fourth from the left, labeled (d).

This string of ions exhibits symmetry which is preserved unless the interactions are stimulated in a certain fashion, at which point the regular "beat" of the system turns into a steady trend over time which disappears again when the strength of the interactions is increased too far, so it exhibits a spontaneously broken symmetry over time, with the analogue being that a crystal may exhibit symmetry when viewed from one point, but loses that symmetry when the view is translated to a different point, a spontaneously broken symmetry under spatial translations.

I think that's what is going on, I'm a bit tired and it's a rather complicated bit of physics that I'm not as familiar with.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 13, 2016, 09:26:51 am »

Good news folks, Comcast confirms that they have no intention of trying to improve their networks to handle 4k video or anything beyond that because 1 TB is totally a lot guys.

They even put out a condescending little video talking about how "you could watch like 620 hours of video, there are only 720 in a month!" and though they offered a nod to the correct pronunciation of .gif (like the peanut butter), they immediately reverted to the incorrect one.

"Well doing nothing but watch videos for an entire month all day every day does seem excessive" you say?

That's assuming ~1.3 Gigabytes per hour, or 1920x1080 resolution. Got a larger screen? One-a-them fancy new Vee-Arr gadgets you wear on yer face that are really better with 4k or even 8k content? Well, still, it's not like you would ever need more than 1 TB/Month, right? I mean, where would you even buffer it, since nobody ever needed more than 640K of memory either?

Just for the heck of it, I put in a complaint to the FCC, the specific thing I complained about can be summed up as "Why is it ok for them to agree to a contract with me where I am paying for 1 month of 85 Mbps Down/12 Mbps Up service, when I could at most use it like that for 26 hours according to their new caps?" though I went ahead and noted that I "would be happy to shop around and see what the competitors offer, except there aren't any, which sounds kind of like a monopoly. Isn't that illegal?" and thanked them for reading.

Will it do any good, I dunno, someone in the comments claimed the FCC can't even do anything about it, but if the Federal Communications Commission exists for reasons beyond dealing with a monopolistic company deciding to state outright that they don't intend to improve their networks so if we want to use more data we gotta pay, then I'm not sure what it is there for, but oh hey, if they do decide to deliver faster service, at least now we know we better get all lubed up and bent over beforehand!
Complain to the DoJ, maybe?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 13, 2016, 04:41:59 pm »

How are the Bitcoin traders reacting?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 158