Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 158

Author Topic: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc  (Read 266065 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
Re: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc
« Reply #1725 on: February 26, 2019, 09:35:32 pm »

Finally, a phone with the dimensions that a phone ought to have. Extra Thick.
Never really understood the point of going thinner and thinner when they could have stayed the same size and put beefier hardware in there. At some point being thinner doesn't make it easier to handle and just makes the whole thing structurally weak.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: February 26, 2019, 11:58:22 pm »

Extra THICC!

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: February 27, 2019, 12:27:14 am »

Given the, er, extra THICC and wide (6.2" diagonal) nature of the phone, a good one-handed mode is gonna be a must if it's supposed to be used like any other phone.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: February 27, 2019, 12:45:39 am »

I care about phones to the extent of how awesome their camera is
you're one of those people...
Not likely, monarch. I can't recall the last time I actually made a call on a phone, mobile or not. This is probably for the best because the urge to slip into my gravelly 'hey whadda yawant s'worth fekkin' mekkin dis thing start beepin like one a those fuckin things what makes a lot of noise n' den blows da fuck up, yanno dem guys what screams admiral akbar or some shit?' trucker voice grows ever harder to resist every time I even think about answering a phone.

I've never sent a text though I love the gesture/swype type keyboards even if they only get used to enter my email address and a subject line when I email pictures to go over on my computer later.

The rinkydink rear camera on the galaxy core prime we had for a while was just barely capable enough to enjoy using it now and then.

The moto g6 upgrade does the 12 MP+5 MP camera setup for the selective focus shit that is goddamn magical the first time you play around with it and realize you didn't actually fuck up taking the picture even though it only left crisp focus on a little piece of a table in the foreground, since you can just go in and dick around seeing how much composition can change just by a hint of super near foreground blur and full on bokeh background to set off your crisp as fuck target.
Even taking into account the limitations of the software and hardware setup as it stands it's far and away the best camera I've ever played with, and I remember dicking around with some of the lower end 35 mm cameras and shit like 20 years ago before getting to click off a roll with a fancy ass bastard that had lenses out to there and a full metal frame.

Had I the disposable income to dive into shit like the DSLR ocean years ago I would have done so happily, but we're on a family phone plan as is so I may as well steer upgrades towards phones with better cameras than I had, what else am I going to do with a fondleslab? Surf the web? Dick around on some bullshit freemium version of digital crack? Start twattering so I can call the president a cunt?

Nothx.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: February 27, 2019, 01:00:18 am »

No silly.  You install something like exagear, scummvm, or dosbox, then play some old classic titles on the bus or something. (anything that does microtransactions can go get fucked. Old school is the best.)

(Has the original starcraft installed on his S5 this way with exagear. Works a treat.  APM is a bit low without a keyboard, but for single player fun, it's not bad.)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: February 27, 2019, 01:10:15 am »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: February 27, 2019, 04:43:04 am »

Oh hey, servers in space. That's a really good idea, 'cause it's really cold in space so the computers will always be kept cool.

That's how a vacuum works, right?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: February 27, 2019, 04:52:40 am »

But what if cosmic rays cause it to gain sentience? Then the computer could destroy us all just by dropping bricks from space!

RadtheCad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: February 27, 2019, 05:30:59 am »

Or by dropping rocks from the moon!
You have to kill your son or nuke the commonwealth.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: February 27, 2019, 06:54:46 am »

Don't mind me, just some hands-on geeking out with Microsoft's AR headset.

No word on Clippy's (Magazinny's?) caliber size or what his war face looks like, but there's definitely some fun tech stuffed into this thing.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1735 on: February 27, 2019, 11:16:00 am »

I care about phones to the extent of how awesome their camera is, I've now played around with a modern enough phone to appreciate shit like depth sensors, ToF wizardry, and mixtures of telephoto/variable aperture doodads under a spookily intelligent layer of glass.

If I'm carrying a brick like that around I expect it to have a fucking hammerspace DSLR type lens setup emerge at a flick of the wrist.

Flicking my wrist to activate the camera, btw, is like the least mentioned awesome feature of recent phones, chop twice for a flashlight, twisttwist for camera, no clue if there is more because those two cover what I need 99% of the time so far.
I use chop for let there be light a lot actually, it's really convenient when I'm riding my skateboard and I need to turn it on while still looking where I'm going, when I ride side streets at night I need drivers to be able to see me and it lets me turn my light on safely
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 11:38:22 am by Parsely »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: February 27, 2019, 01:34:18 pm »

(I just press any keypad key on my phone. It remains locked, but lights up to tell me that I need to <whatever> to unlock it, which is enough light to help me see* and be seen by**. Ironically, there's an LED torch in the handset, separate to the screen, but it is (de)activated by holding down the 5 key (having a handy raised bit to the button to feel by touch except that it doesn't do anything to turn the LED on/off while locked, so I have to do the unlocking (see*!) light it up, use it for as long as required and then if the deliberately short lock-again time-out has occured unlock again to hold the key to turn the torch off again. So I just use the inch˛ display light, refreshing it back on when it decides I've been told it's locked for long enough and goes dark again, usefully heralded with a short period of dimming.)

* assuming I have faced it away from me, and not just destroyed my night-vision!
** holding in whichever way best acts as a light-beacon.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: February 27, 2019, 09:12:28 pm »

Using neural networks to predict wind turbine output up to 36 hours in advance.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/02/alphabet-subsidiary-trained-ai-to-predict-wind-output-36-hours-in-advance/

EDIT: also, some AI researchers made a text-generating bot based on 40 GB of reddit posts. The model has 5 billion parameters. however, they released a stripped-down version with only 117 million parameters, and arstechnica fed in some sample text from, e.g., Trump speeches to see what the thing comes up with:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/02/twenty-minutes-into-the-future-with-openais-deep-fake-text-ai

Somehow it's mock Trump speech turned into a mock slice of life / romcom anime plot summary halfway through the text.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 09:24:57 pm by Reelya »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: February 28, 2019, 05:20:54 am »

That's not the one that was "scientists developed a text generator that was too dangerous to release", is it? I saw the headlines a while back and immediately got turned off by the outrageously clickbaity title.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: February 28, 2019, 09:47:46 am »

Much apart from the "(Editor's note: We recognize the headline here, but please don't call it an "AI"—it's a machine-learning algorithm, not an android)." which is a well-meaning correction but also wrong, I very nearly incapacitated myself when it got to the bit with the GOATs.

Recovered a bit, but just taking a break, before starting to read test #3 about the Osprey.

ETA:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 09:59:31 am by Starver »
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 158