Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 158

Author Topic: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc  (Read 265699 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc
« Reply #1365 on: March 24, 2018, 11:53:10 am »

Microsoft announces feature nobody wants.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/7/17089850/microsoft-windows-10-s-mode-changes-2019

Place your bets-- place your bets.  According to Verge, MS intends this for corporations, schools, and other "lockdown preferred" environments, but how much do you want to bet that it will be insanely pervasive in the tablet and cloudbook space, and that it will be the bane of everyone's existence except microsoft?
Wait, it can't possibly be...
The new S Mode will lock down any copy of Windows 10 so it can only run apps from the Microsoft Store
Ok I'm so glad I've kept my Windows 7 and not got into this "free" Windows 10 cheese mousetrap scheme.
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: March 24, 2018, 11:58:26 am »

Microsoft announces feature nobody wants.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/7/17089850/microsoft-windows-10-s-mode-changes-2019

Place your bets-- place your bets.  According to Verge, MS intends this for corporations, schools, and other "lockdown preferred" environments, but how much do you want to bet that it will be insanely pervasive in the tablet and cloudbook space, and that it will be the bane of everyone's existence except microsoft?
Wait, it can't possibly be...
The new S Mode will lock down any copy of Windows 10 so it can only run apps from the Microsoft Store
Ok I'm so glad I've kept my Windows 7 and not got into this "free" Windows 10 cheese mousetrap scheme.

Glad I'm still using Windows 8.1

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: March 24, 2018, 04:06:39 pm »

What does that even mean? What is considered an 'app'?
I thought apps were something on a mobile phone, which I don't have anymore for nearly 8 years.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: March 24, 2018, 04:14:28 pm »

What is considered an 'app'?
An application. An executable plus any other files attached to it that form a whole. What we used to call (and I'd like to keep calling) programs and software. Windows 10 wants to be hip by calling everything an app, though I personally find that a rather unprofessional term.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: March 24, 2018, 04:22:57 pm »

So does that mean that soon I won't be able to run Steam anymore on win10, or browse bay12 with Firefox?

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: March 24, 2018, 04:30:22 pm »

Only if you install the S Mode OS. Windows 10 has the optional feature to block programs not from the store, but it's disabled by default. S Mode makes it mandatory for "security". There's probably some business customer somewhere who has a use for it, but I don't think a regular consumer has any reason to install it.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: March 24, 2018, 05:50:06 pm »

Ah. I was already thinking that Microsoft was going to doom themselves out of the market if all non-windows store programs users can't run them anymore on their home OS.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: March 24, 2018, 05:57:57 pm »

What exactly would those users do if that were the case? Switch to Linux? Buy Windows 7 again?

MS has a pretty strong stranglehold on the home PC OS market, and I really doubt that's gonna change anytime soon, mostly because as the biggest fish in the pond most devs don't really consider developing for other systems, it's just not worth the dev time and cost.

Like, I really hate the direction they're taking this stuff, and would love nothing more than to have Win 7 again, but I just don't have any driver support for anything but Win10 on my current laptop, and even if I did, a lot of the programs I use are only on Windows platforms (or iOS, but that's exchanging an OS with a shitty dev direction with one that's arrived at the shitty dev destination), so it's not like there's much choice involved :V
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: March 24, 2018, 06:41:43 pm »

If Microsoft suddenly locked all their PCs to only run apps from the shitty windows store, it would A) be probbably days before someone found a way to crack that restriction B) would have tech users up in arms, generate a massive amount of bad press and probbably tank their share price a la Facebook losing 57 billion of value over privacy revaluations, and C) a major portion ofl non-casual users probbably would switch to some of the Linux based OSes,because... that’s what people do if you make it physically impossible to do what you use a computer for. Windows is the OS of choice largely due to convenience, and if they suddenly decide to massively inconvenience their entire user base and refuse to backtrack they’re going to lose market share, simple as that.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: March 24, 2018, 07:00:49 pm »

I'd just like to add that I've had significant success switching older, casual computer users to Linux Mint already just based on the shitty things Microsoft has already done in the past few versions to annoy them. It's definitely possible.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: March 24, 2018, 07:01:57 pm »

Linux, or Mac.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: March 24, 2018, 09:12:43 pm »

If Microsoft suddenly locked all their PCs to only run apps from the shitty windows store

That's not what they're talking about doing, though. They're just stopping the parallel development of 10 S so that 10 S machines are going to run Windows 10 proper in S mode. The danger here is more that people are going to buy S-locked devices without realizing it (or non-S locked tablets will stop being readily available) than that Microsoft is going to lock all PCs in an update.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: March 24, 2018, 11:50:44 pm »

Yeah, I've been thinking about moving to Linux for my next PC. Not gone with my laptop, but it had Win10 on already, AND since it's for uni work, I'd rather not wrangle with potential issues when I'm trying to avoid stressing out.
Dual-boot Windows and Linux. No need to wait for another computer.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: March 25, 2018, 04:27:30 am »

Yeah, I've been thinking about moving to Linux for my next PC. Not gone with my laptop, but it had Win10 on already, AND since it's for uni work, I'd rather not wrangle with potential issues when I'm trying to avoid stressing out.

You'd be surprised, at this point the only piece of software I'm really missing is the office suite (which I feel is way superior to libre office), so I jsut do my stuff on lbre office and then boot windows to fix the layout.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: March 28, 2018, 12:48:23 pm »

China's Heavenly Palace (Tiangong 1) will come crashing down to Earth.

Ever since the Chinese lost control of it's space station, it has slowly started spiraling down to Earth.
When in january 2017 it was still at 470km altitude, last wednesday it had come down to 196km, due to air friction (minute, at those altitudes, but still present) decelerating it's orbit.

The coming days it will decelerate faster and faster, as air friction increases, closer to Earth,
According to Joint Space Operations Centre, a US military organistation, it will come down to Earth as a big fireball coming sunday, with an error margin of one day.

Because of it's relatively small size (9m) compared to it's mass (well over 8 tons), it is expected that it will not completely burn up on re-entry.
It is expected that glowing hot fragments up to 100kg wil impact Earth.

When this occurs over inhabited areas, considerable damage or even loss of life can be expected.
Space experts however say that the chance of that happening is pretty small. It is more likely that fragments will hit the ocean, or uninhabited areas.

Over here (Netherlands), we're not worried. We're too far north on the planet. Mediterannean countries in Europe could get hit though.

Exact estimates of the impact area are as of yet too hard. Because the space station spins around it's axis roughly every 2 minutes, the air friction varies a lot, making it too hard to accurately predict trajectory.
More accurate predictions will likely follow when impact time draws closer.

It's not uncommon for space craft to crash down unto Earth, the Chinese most definitly aren't the first.
Just last sunday, Italians could watch  a Russian Sojoez rocket burn up in the atmosphere. No wreckage was reported to impact anywhere though, it is presumed to have fully burned up.
Sometimes wreckage hits land: In 1979, parts of the US Skylab crashed down in Australia, after an uncontrolled re-entry.
NASA was fined by the Australian authorities for illagaly dumping waste. NASA has never paid the 400 dollar fine.

Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 158