Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 158

Author Topic: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc  (Read 265620 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc
« Reply #1320 on: March 07, 2018, 06:47:32 am »

Microsoft announces feature nobody wants.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/7/17089850/microsoft-windows-10-s-mode-changes-2019

Place your bets-- place your bets.  According to Verge, MS intends this for corporations, schools, and other "lockdown preferred" environments, but how much do you want to bet that it will be insanely pervasive in the tablet and cloudbook space, and that it will be the bane of everyone's existence except microsoft?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 06:51:11 am by wierd »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: March 07, 2018, 06:54:28 am »

I mean i could name at least someone who is not a murderer, but could easily become a Luddite terrorist.

... ludo-terrorism?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: March 07, 2018, 07:01:59 am »

nenjin's frothing rage isn't confined by mere thread boundaries.

My cup overfloweth.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: March 19, 2018, 04:46:12 pm »

A self-driving car from Uber Technologies hit a pedestrian crossing the street in Phoenix, Arizona. The woman died in hospital somewhat later.
According to the police, the car was driving in autonomous mode at the time of the accident, with a human test driver present behind the wheel.
For now, Uber Technologies has put all of it's programs for self-driving cars in the US and Canada on hold.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: March 19, 2018, 05:36:16 pm »

Ah yes. The Bridget Driscoll effect.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: March 19, 2018, 06:47:49 pm »

Alright, failed once. Let's not, I dunno, try to learn from this? Improve the design?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: March 19, 2018, 06:54:44 pm »

People aught to start instead hitting traditional car makers with lawsuits over deaths that could have been prevented by putting an AI in charge. :p

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1327 on: March 20, 2018, 12:44:09 am »

How do we know that the car wasn't trying to save more lives in a trolley-question-style philosophical dilemma?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: March 20, 2018, 12:58:00 am »

Given the fact that there was an individual behind the wheel, I'm betting that their cars are in the "let's just try not to hit stuff" phase rather than making any weighted decisions about what to hit and what not to hit.

Apparently having someone behind the wheel wasn't enough to stop the car in case there was something wrong this time.

Not sure how feaseable, but maybe one way to test is to stick the sensors and stuff onto a car, but run it in simulation mode and not have it control the car while the driver does their thing. Seems like one way to test it out without risking other peoples lives too much. If it fails, then at least it won't drive over the pedestrian.

Though yeah, I'd agree perhaps slowing down the progress or at least more controlled testing.

The only other way to absolutely guard against pedestrian hits is to completely separate the road space from the walking space, but that'd require a complete redesign of our cities.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: March 20, 2018, 05:33:21 am »

Developing self-walking pedestrians before developing the cars might work
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: March 20, 2018, 08:40:12 am »

Are we sure the person in the car actually attempted to stop the car, for all I know they were asleep...

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: March 20, 2018, 09:06:47 am »

A good question would be, would a human driver in the same conditions have made the same mistakes and hit the pedestrian? If the pedestrian suddenly started jaywalking from behind a parked car or something, you can't really say the accident happened because the car wasn't driven by a human. On the other hand, if the pedestrian was visible from literally a mile away, wearing a hi-vis vest and crossing the street on a green light with a red light for the car lane...
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: March 20, 2018, 09:39:41 am »

The most I've heard about it (mere snippets) was that it was a non-crosswalk crossing, i.e. no pedestrian right-of-way. Now, jaywalking may be akin to a capital crime, over there, but it does leave unsaid (in anything I've glanced at, though it's surely noted somewhere) how the victim/offender got within the 'anticipation zone' without already being fully-enough anticipated.

It could go from full on suicide-dash, through extremely unpredictable change of direction, via mere carelessness and over onto a mere excusable inattention that unfortunately clashed with the car's undiagnosed blindspot (visual, like turning into a side-road with cars parked all round the corner, or computational in that there was overconfidence about 'missing' LIDAR responses). When I get time, I may go seek answers to resolve my so far hypothetical scenarios, but I know that greater minds than I (including, but not limited to, ones closer to the incident in legal ways) are already doing this and I doubt I could add much more to their insights.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: March 20, 2018, 01:20:19 pm »

Sounds like the testing method I mentioned above might actually help them as it deals with unpredictable situations while in simulation mode.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: March 20, 2018, 01:46:07 pm »

Driverless car kills its first pedestrian.
Humans: "Oh no!  I'm gonna jump to conclusions and say driverless cars are not as safe as human drivers!"
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 158