Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The Bearers of Flame:The Heart of the Matter IC  (Read 1427 times)

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
Re: The Bearers of Flame:Intro IC
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2016, 11:22:33 pm »

Rold put on his hat and followed the barkeeper down into the tunnel.

"I pretty much have no idea what I'm doing with my life right now."
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Bearers of Flame:Intro IC
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2016, 09:11:49 am »

The Chamber
   Jeremy the barkeeper stops and considers what Vibian and Rold each said in turn.  "Young lady, you're damned right... and worse case scenario we have to force the fates to accept a larger number than they had considered.  I've never fully understood how this all works, that knowledge died generations ago.. but it seems to work out if you don't push too hard against it."  He stops to brush some cob-webs out of the way before lighting another wall lamp and moving on to a closed door at the end of the short tunnel.  "You're right umm... Rold I think I remember it being, I very much doubt anyone has a good idea... though hopefully I can be a bit enlightening.  Please, ask away and I'll answer as best I can while I get this set up."  He says as he turns a large disc in the door until it emits a dull click and swings inwards.  Walking in, each step raising a small cloud of dust from the ancient and cracked stone floor, he methodically moves to light a number of small lanterns around a large circular room.
    The dim flickering light from each lamp reveals a number of faded murals along the circular wall, figures whose names seem to be lost to time can be seen battling monsters that appear as though they might jump from the paint to attack you.  While other of the murals show similarly dressed figures in attendance at large balls, dancing and celebrating.  Yet more of them contain scenes of dozens of crowned figures bowing before the group of strange looking characters and even a few seem to picture marriage celebrations amongst the icons themselves.  Finally Jeremy climbs atop a raised platform in the center of the room and stretching, lights a large oil chandelier revealing the platform he is standing on to be a large stone slab.  The slab itself is plain, though the top and sides are covered in numerous channels that stretch out from it forming a web that reaches out to touch the bottom of each of the dozen murals around the room.
     With the clink of his mail, Jeremy sits down heavily on the slab, looking back towards the group.  "Never been in here myself... would of felt wrong to come in alone.  Well, if anyone has questions now's the time to ask, besides, we have about another half hour before it's time."  He then takes out a small pipe and lights it using the lantern, the smell of tobacco mixed with something flowery and sweet begins to fill the room.
Nom nom nom

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
Re: The Bearers of Flame:The Chamber IC
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2016, 11:35:00 am »

Yarra gazes her eyes about scanning the murals and essence of the room as she passes by "Hmm... I got few questions of my own to ask you?" she said before besetting her eyes finally on Jeremy, "These murals as you call them are they depicting events of past as I don't seem to recall ever seeing any of these?... Another thing what gotten on my nerve is while walking here you mentioned 4 generations as though you knew the darkness would happen and that all our names were pre-determined or something like that, so what I'm asking is that all of us coming here was not by choice but was bound to happen?"

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2016, 02:09:31 pm »

The sacred sister regarded her four companions with a studious gaze for a moment, before following the old man. She was silent as they walked, her gun cradled carefully in her arms so it would not scrape against the ceiling or walls.

"I too have a question. Questions, in fact."
She stepped forward.
"If youy wrote the names when you were young, and the rest have died... when did you think this would happen? I am not in the fading years of life. How did you know my name, and my calling?"
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2016, 02:25:18 pm »

Jeremy sat smoking for a few seconds and his expression seemed vacant before he finally spoke.  "My family were always sort of... servants to the people you see in the murals.  They are history and then again... they are portents of the future, it really all just repeats itself from my understanding.  You can rest easy at least knowing that whatever you do, it's by choice, that's why I had mentioned there being twenty... prospects let's say.  You're the prospects who chose to be in the right places, at the right times and who chose to come this far..."  He shifts a bit in his seat, the flickering light reflecting off the top of his old sun burned head.  "As for knowing this will happen... people in my family posses some of the weakest natural magic in this world though I suppose that's what let it be present in everyone in the family.  We see shadows of the future through our dreams, and were kept as butlers, slaves, pets and oddities in years past.  It's horrifically unreliable to the point where if say a King wants to know how he'll die... all we can give him is a half dozen potential assassination plots, a few rebellions and a handful of natural causes."  He gets up and wanders about the room, looking at the murals contemplatively.
   "The only thing we've agreed with each other on is that when they pushed back the darkness generations ago... it was a temporary measure.  When the world was apparently rid of it, all the magics and heroes went with the darkness... yet we remained.  We still dreamt of what would happen tomorrow, the next week, and year knowing that it meant in some far dark corner of the world... it lingered waiting to grow and spread again."  He turns back to look at the Holy Maiden Elizabeth and nods to her, "It was practice in the family for each child when they were old enough to be reliable, to write the list.  It changed each generation but it was a list of that lifetimes potential.  The people who would be the most worthy and closest to the writer that he might contact them... I had assumed that mine was going to be another list not needed and that some distant cousin of mine who was much younger would be the right one.  Heh guess I was wrong."
Nom nom nom

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2016, 03:23:01 pm »

Yarra nodded intently from the conversation before saying "So your family can see small fractures of futures of sorts.. well whatever my main concern is why we were called in the first place, is it battle the so called darkness or something to but what to what end." she took deep breather before continuing "If it is so then why should I care about it unless your going to tell me the world will end as even then being a hero meaningless."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2016, 05:58:51 pm »

"It is not hard to see the world is sick, but how, precisely, are but four meant to cure it? I may carry the will of god with me, but I do not know where to direct His wrath. Explain what this darkness is."

cloud.jhi

• Bay Watcher
  • "This has been a long time coming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2016, 08:44:17 pm »

Personally, I'd like to know exactly what's in it for us. I've either wandered around aimlessly, or spent my time on the run. You do have some way of fulfilling the promises in the list, right?

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2016, 12:46:00 am »

Yeah exactly, what exactly is in this for us? I've come here for my sister not to listen about magic.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2016, 11:36:26 am »

The Heart of the Matter
   Jeremy smokes for a bit as you all field your questions, "Well first off for Yarra, yes the world will end unless a lot of people work very hard to stop it.  You won't be the only four though as there's others being recruited elsewhere, you are just the four who were in this town.  Whether or not it's meaningless in the end is really up to you, if you want to charge people to save them that's your prerogative or if you'd rather demand they make great statues to your achievements and so on."  He begins to get up, bones creaking a bit from his age at Elizabeth's question when Vibian interrupts with her own and is then backed up by Rold.
    "Well, at the most basic level I can see the future while also knowing where objects and people are to a limited extent.  Rold, you want your sister, a person who knows where she was taken is currently residing with a group of his comrades in a small cave up-river.  The caves entrance is underneath the roots of a tree that hangs over the river itself so that the entrance to the cave has a hidden dock for small boats in it. Vibian for more immediate concerns of yours the same bandits have accrued a rather large hoard of gold, wines and rare foods stolen from the merchants who still brave the rivers dark waters.  While together you two may be capable of taking out a handful of the Red Leagues weakest members, you'll need to get stronger to accomplish much more... Which brings me to Elizabeth's question..."  He reaches inside his pocket and draws out a blackened human-looking heart and placing it on the stone slab in the center of the room he takes a few steps back.
     "At it's core, the darkness is magic, hatred and death given form.  It strives to take hold in people and animals, twisting them in it's own dark image and it is believed that all of it may stem from a fallen god... twisted and angry beyond imagining who in his eternally dying throes lashes out upon the world to try and drag it down with him.  From ancient human history this magic gathered and grew inside vessels that in turn took on a minor spark of divinity themselves, until the original guild members learned how to purify it and turn it back on the darkness.  This act however tainted them, and while it kept them from being able to be truly destroyed they had to... feed in a sort off the creatures of darkness to keep themselves alive.  When it was last purged, most of the guild members didn't last the year, rapidly starving to death in the light of their victory."  He takes a few steps back as he talks, before tossing some grey powder over the blackened heart which with a sound like a hammer hitting an anvil begins to beat rhythmically.  The shadows from the edges of the room rush inwards, gathering around the beating heart.  The tunnel behind Jeremy begins to howl as clawing figures  made of blackest smoke rush past and around you, pulling in a vortex of darkness about the heart.
     "Upon alters like these, they gathered their power and from the same alters they were reborn again and again to fight against the darkness.  With each sacrifice they grew stronger themselves while the surrounding area grew brighter.  Flee now if you wish or fight and take the ancient power for yourselves, with it lies the only key to truly defeating the darkness and if you are strong and pure enough in your ambitions you may overcome it's curse."  The form on the table floats upwards, pure chaos making it's form impossible to discern until with a crack of sound it collapses inwards, solidifying into a lanky human with foot-long claws and a slavering hungry mouth full of wolf's teeth.  Jeremy draws his long silver sword, it shining in the darkness, "Hum... a ghoul, only about half of the time did it end up one of those."
    The ghoul stumbles forwards, landing on the floor in a heap of twisted limbs, bent at impossible angles.  It struggles to right itself with a terrifying shriek.

Combat:
Vibian Amarante Level 1:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rold Ravenshield Level 1

Yarra Awerick Level 1

Holy Maiden Elizabeth Level 1

Ghoul:
Spoiler: Largish Image warning (click to show/hide)
Weapon: Grisly Claws DV ??/Unarmed-Strong defense rolls using a melee weapon to parry can cause damage to this creature.
Armor: Death hardened hide AC:5
Health: ??/??
Speed: ??/??
Fortitude: ??
Mental Stability-Not Applicable
Resistance: ??/High

Turn Order:
Holy Maiden Elizabeth, 14
Rold Ravenshield, 13
Vibian Amarante, 12
Yarra Awerick, 11
Ghoul Stunned-Auto goes last Speed=??
(Turns will happen simultaneously in a round.  Order is used to determine when damage/healing/buffs/debuffs happen so you can determine who they affect.  In this instance everyone does their effects before the ghoul.  Please bold actions for the purpose of combat.)
Nom nom nom

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
Re: The Bearers of Flame:The Heart of the Matter IC
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2016, 12:59:59 pm »

Have Yarra slash the Ghoul in the chest with scythe.

cloud.jhi

• Bay Watcher
  • "This has been a long time coming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2016, 05:26:25 pm »

Jump up the slab behind the ghoul, and attempt to separate its head from its body.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2016, 06:14:27 pm »

An actual monster... it was vile, disgusting.
A solification of the evils of the world, but only, so it seemed, one of many. She'd conserve ammo, and see how well her companions rallied.

Thunder Girl backs up slightly and slots on her bayonet.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2016, 04:53:46 am »

Rold throws both his knives at the beast.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2016, 06:04:39 pm »

First Round!
-Elizabeth backs up a few steps, with practiced ease slotting the bayonet into the Arquebus. 

-Rold, with a fluid motion draws two balanced daggers from his belt and throws them in quick succession at the ghoul,
Spoiler: Rolls (click to show/hide)
the first blade slashes across it’s leg as it rises which causes it to stumble.  With a flash the second dagger embeds itself to the hilt in the ghouls guts and with a wet gurgle it rips the blade from the would, throwing it to the side with a spray of black-red blood.

-Vibian runs around behind the ghoul, using the distraction from Rold’s daggers.  She climbs up onto the slab and as the ghoul is fully risen she attempts to ram her blade through it’s neck.
  The creature, having fully regained its form ducks quickly out of the way.  The blade passes over top of it’s head in a flash.

-Yarra charges inwards, her scythe clicking into position as she begins the swing. 
  With a terrific clash, the ghoul is caught firmly in it’s shoulder and the scythe sinks deep.  A weaker individual would of been cut in twain but the ghoul struggles and rip’s the scythe free from it’s shoulder.

-Ghoul it shrieks in agony and tears at Yarra in retaliation. 
Using the back end of her scythe’s blade Yarra slaps the ghouls claws away from herself as she takes a quick step backwards.

Round summary:
Ghoul took- 10 Damage, it appears to be nearly finished
Everyone else- Took no damage!

Vibian Amarante Level 1:

Rold Ravenshield Level 1

Yarra Awerick Level 1

Holy Maiden Elizabeth Level 1

Ghoul:
Spoiler: Largish Image warning (click to show/hide)
Weapon: Grisly Claws DV ??/Unarmed-Strong defense rolls using a melee weapon to parry can cause damage to this creature.
Armor: Death hardened hide AC:5
Health: ??-10/??
Speed: ??/??
Fortitude: ??
Mental Stability-Not Applicable
Resistance: ??/High

Turn Order:
Holy Maiden Elizabeth, 4
Rold Ravenshield, 3
Vibian Amarante, 2
Yarra Awerick, 1
Ghoul Stunned-Auto goes last