Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Display cases are coming!  (Read 1457 times)

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
Display cases are coming!
« on: August 17, 2016, 07:52:09 am »

Quoting Toady straight from the main page:
... The game has display cases and pedestals now, in all modes. ...
Finally! Can I get an Amen?
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Display cases are coming!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 07:54:30 am »

Praise Toady!

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 10:07:38 am »

Praise be to the Eternal Toad of Wheels!

Always felt rather odd to have all of my choicest treasures lying around in a stockpile somewhere. Not that it wasn't a safe place, mind you. Anything that goes into my hideous mess of a stockpile system is lost to the ages.

I'm making a dwarven museum..!

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 12:00:41 pm »

FINALLY! I can display those artifacts that otherwise clutter up bins and crud, in a place that will make dwarves happy (note to self: place ABOVE magma forges). It will make life so much easier. Those artifacts ... I can't find them, can't track them, and can't use them either. But soon.... soon! They will be USED!
Displaying Adventurer-stolen artifacts ... best way ever to use them. Bring on the sieges!

V12US

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 01:46:00 pm »

Praise be to the Eternal Toad of Wheels!

Always felt rather odd to have all of my choicest treasures lying around in a stockpile somewhere. Not that it wasn't a safe place, mind you. Anything that goes into my hideous mess of a stockpile system is lost to the ages.

I'm making a dwarven museum..!

It would be cool if you could designate a room with display cases as a museum. Kind of like a tavern/library, but for historians and the like.

SebasMarolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 02:25:43 pm »

it said that as long as the item wasn't too large, you could put it on display. Are dragon skulls considered "too large"? will there be an option to cut the head off something sentient, which usually can't be butchered, to put on display?

Or will a random dwarf, on the middle of a battle, deem the head of a goblin he just decapitated as a worthy thropy, make said head a named item, and come back later for it to put on a pedestal in his room?

I mean, the second sounds more in line with DF, but there should be options for the first too.
So uh, yeah you just murdered a until proven otherwise pretty neutral innocent being for no reason.

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 03:51:52 pm »

I'm guessing by too large he means stuff that wouldn't fit in a bin.

And speaking of heads on sticks...
I wonder how your dwarfs and visitors will react to rows of severed heads on display...
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 06:13:02 pm »

My dear KtosoX... They would simply acknowledge that they have TRULY arrived at a REAL dorf fortress. Now we just need to build a massive wall of severed heads that line the hills and mountains leading from one fort to another thus letting the world know that this is DORF territory!

Frankly I would love to get the darned billion artifact bracelets I always wind up with out of bins and doing something useful, severed heads on sticks or pedestals would also be nice too. Form a museum of heads and raise children around them... "Daddy whats that?" "Thats the pansy elf who threatened the baroness back in 261! HAH! Chopper the elves head right off on the spot for it!" That actually happened three times in one of my forts.

If we allow the dorfs to pick out their OWN items to put on the pedestals though... Be ready for the XXSockXX museum, now containing five-hundred XXSocksXX! All covered in layers of random vomit, blood and random gore or Armok knows what.

fearlesslittletoaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 10:47:34 am »

Allright, we need to start a petition to allow skulls to be displayed on upright spikes. Nothing could be more Dwarven than making a siege walk across half a map covered in the skulls of those who come before and failed. Nothing.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2016, 12:05:15 pm »

And what about caravans? Should they (still) bolt as soon as they see the grisly display? (Not that I haven't wanted to mount enemy skulls on pikes to warn other off too). The easy way would probably to allow the production of "victory totems" from unbutcherable bodies/detached heads. You might then replace the stakes with pillars, but it can get a bit messy if building destroyers can target them (but fitting: goblin army trolls/ogres might not like seeing their relatives' ugly mugs in that fashion). Finally, beware of the dreaded Keas' greedy talons!

Arthropleura

• Bay Watcher
  • Elven Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2016, 12:53:41 pm »

Allright, we need to start a petition to allow skulls to be displayed on upright spikes. Nothing could be more Dwarven than making a siege walk across half a map covered in the skulls of those who come before and failed. Nothing.

That kind of corpse display is more of a goblin thing I feel.
We are currently three turns in, and the main hall is coated in blood, intestines and random corpses. There's a huge pile of 3000 items made of human body parts in a corner and remaining members of the staff of the museum are, as I type this, being slowly choked to death by one of our adventurers.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2016, 01:50:27 pm »

That kind of corpse display is more of a goblin thing I feel.
The goblins would mount the skulls of the previous inhabitants of the fortress on poles outside it...

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2016, 02:14:47 pm »

Maybe it'll be possible to mod in a display furniture that's MADE of a skeleton of a past invader.

Animatronic goblin scarecrows would definitely be a dwarven idea!

SebasMarolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2016, 02:53:09 pm »

Maybe it'll be possible to mod in a display furniture that's MADE of a skeleton of a past invader.

Thrones made out of skulls?
So uh, yeah you just murdered a until proven otherwise pretty neutral innocent being for no reason.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2016, 03:13:52 pm »

Animatronic goblin scarecrows would definitely be a dwarven idea!

Pop a penny into the box, and the Elf will list all the reasons why logging is great and a divine birthright for all Dwarves.

Heh, imagine these display cases coupled with a taxidermy update somewhere down the line. I could have a Dwarven museum of natural history too! With various dioramas of proto-dwarves getting killed by elephants and unicorns and carps. While their mates dash for their socks.

Pages: [1] 2