Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sphalerite with variable iron  (Read 1932 times)

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sphalerite with variable iron
« on: August 16, 2016, 01:51:55 pm »

So, according to wikipedia, while sphalerite always contains nickel, it sometimes contains "variable iron."

So, could we adjust sphalerite to make DF more realistic, letting it drop iron the way tetrahedrite and galena drop silver?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sphalerite with variable iron
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 02:38:21 pm »

This sounds more like a far future enhancement suggestion to have variable grade (and composition) ore. Also, it's a bit tricky in DF given that the granularity is in boulders and boulder drop percentages, but I guess it would be possible to add fractional parts in the smelter and skip the bar production percentages altogether (and possibly boulder drop probabilities as well, although that would result in a lot more hauling and processing work). That would make mining much less of a calculation process and more a change to see what you get, with a hope to occasionally get some rarer secondary metal bar. It might be tied to science, though, so sufficient scientific knowledge would allow the dorfs to determine the quality of the ore (probably ignored by most players, though: just smelt it and see what comes out, as you can't change it anyway, unless transmutation/refining magic can be applied).

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 03:18:23 pm »

Lots of ores already do this. They have a chance to give one or more bars. It's been a thing for a long time now.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Galena

Happily, it is exceedingly simple to add this  :). The code below allows for a 10% chance to get iron. Copy this over the shaplerite raw (found in inorganic_stone_mineral) and you are good.

You wont get a "quality" of ore, but it'll smelt into iron.

Code: [Select]
[INORGANIC:SPHALERITE]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STONE_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:sphalerite][DISPLAY_COLOR:0:7:1][TILE:156]
[ENVIRONMENT:METAMORPHIC:VEIN:100]
[ITEM_SYMBOL:'*']
[METAL_ORE:ZINC:100]
[METAL_ORE:IRON:10]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:2]
[IS_STONE]
[MELTING_POINT:NONE]
[BOILING_POINT:12133]
[SOLID_DENSITY:4050]
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 03:20:05 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 08:05:58 pm »

So, according to wikipedia, while sphalerite always contains nickel, it sometimes contains "variable iron."
[citation needed] - not only does the Sphalerite article say nothing about this, but sphalerite is an ore of zinc, not nickel.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 08:16:42 pm »

[citation needed] - not only does the Sphalerite article say nothing about this, but sphalerite is an ore of zinc, not nickel.
"It consists largely of zinc sulfide in crystalline form but almost always contains variable iron."

"Its color is usually yellow, brown, or gray to gray-black, and it may be shiny or dull. Its luster is adamantine, resinous to submetallic for high iron varieties. "

I could be misunderstanding what "variable iron" means. You got me on zinc.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 08:54:27 pm »

"It consists largely of zinc sulfide in crystalline form but almost always contains variable iron."

"Its color is usually yellow, brown, or gray to gray-black, and it may be shiny or dull. Its luster is adamantine, resinous to submetallic for high iron varieties. "

Other websites advise that sphalerite can contain small amounts of iron. One website reports it as "Less than 25%", which seems to indicate that it would, however inefficiently, be possible to refine iron from sphalerite.

Spoiler: Examples (click to show/hide)

Now, this (https://phdminerals.com/Sphalerite) website does claim that "When iron content is high it is an opaque black variety called marmatite". This could imply that (by name) the sphalerite found in Dwarf Fortress does not contain appreciable amounts of Iron. Perhaps marmatite could be added as a rarer ore to be found inside veins of sphalerite.

I was not able to find any historical instances where Sphalerite was in fact mined in order to extract iron.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 07:53:10 am »

Other websites advise that sphalerite can contain small amounts of iron. One website reports it as "Less than 25%", which seems to indicate that it would, however inefficiently, be possible to refine iron from sphalerite.

Spoiler: Examples (click to show/hide)

Now, this (https://phdminerals.com/Sphalerite) website does claim that "When iron content is high it is an opaque black variety called marmatite". This could imply that (by name) the sphalerite found in Dwarf Fortress does not contain appreciable amounts of Iron. Perhaps marmatite could be added as a rarer ore to be found inside veins of sphalerite.

I was not able to find any historical instances where Sphalerite was in fact mined in order to extract iron.
I like the marmatite idea.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 12:34:18 pm »

Marmatite!

This probably works, I actually don't usually mess about with these raws.

Code: [Select]
[INORGANIC:MARMATITE]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STONE_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:marmatite][DISPLAY_COLOR:0:1:1][TILE:156]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:SPHALERITE:VEIN:100]
[ITEM_SYMBOL:'*']
[METAL_ORE:ZINC:100]
[METAL_ORE:IRON:25]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:2]
[IS_STONE]
[MELTING_POINT:NONE]
[BOILING_POINT:12133]
[SOLID_DENSITY:4050]

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2016, 06:26:06 am »

Apparently, I completely failed at searching the page for "iron" previously...
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.