Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Useless Dwarves (How Do You Handle Them?)  (Read 1893 times)

Scorpios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Useless Dwarves (How Do You Handle Them?)
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2008, 08:56:00 pm »

Well, I ended up doing a number of things.
I've started the metalworking industry, though it's slow going.
I began my weaving/clothesmnaking industries.
I buffed up my military.
I began seige weapon training.
I buffed up my food workforce (Farmers, fishing and hunting).
I have more haulers.

I also followed Mulch's idea, sort of. I didn't have weapons so I did the next best thing - I stationed two useless dwarves near a magma vent, hoping they could kill an imp or two before being annihilated. The two cleared out most of the imps, leaving an imp or two, a fire man and a magma man. One dwarf went to get a drink. While he was gone a magma man rose from the depths, lit his friend on fire and dragged him, kicking and screaming, to the bottom of the magma vent.

...I'm going to get some really bad engravings about this.

find that I identify forum goers more by their signatures than anything else.
That being said, I should probably think of something witty to put here.

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2008, 08:59:00 pm »

Bad? I would kill for those type of engravings!
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2008, 09:03:00 pm »

Thats not saying much, considering your previous post.  ;)
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2008, 11:12:00 pm »

Low-end materials are great for building trap weapons with.  You can never have too many trap weapons.
My second siege was a slaughter, and most of the damage came from spiked wooden balls.  If I had sand I'd be cranking out serrated glass disks, too.
Because of my defense philosophy I'd love a wave of 20 migrants regardless of their professions.  For my military-industrial complex there's no such thing as an unwanted worker.
I'm also having tremendous difficulty keeping my weaving and tailoring operations up to speed with my dyeing and plant-growing operations.  I'll take whatever dwarfpower I get.

Killing a migrant is saying "no" to another spiked wooden ball or serrated glass disk.  That's downright undwarfsmanlike.

"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

Alaern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2008, 03:54:00 am »

Actually, killing a migrant is making him say "Hi" to a spiked ball or a serrated disk heading at him.

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2008, 09:44:00 am »

I quite like having loads of pointless dwarfs hanging around partying.  As fortresses get larger I try to keep at least three dwarfs of any important profession (for redundancy) and one or two dwarfs for each of the less important professions, even Milking or Lye Making or Kobold Dissecting or whatever.  I don't really mind if these dwarfs spend their entire lives wandering around doing nothing but haul, I know they could be working pumps or something to build their strength up but I'd rather they had fun.   :)  Usually I'll draft 'em and let them practice up to tolerable levels of Wrestling and Marksdwarfship so that they can act as a militia in a pinch.  I only keep a small "proper" standing army for special circumstances.
Oh
God it's been a lovely day
Everything's been going my way
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2008, 09:54:00 am »

I leave mine on pump operating till they max out strength, toughness and agility... seriously, after that, I've seen them outpace regular dwarves while carrying bins full of rock blocks. They are definitely very useful at that point.

aquietfrog

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2008, 12:52:00 pm »

Recently, I like making migrants into furnace operators, especially when I hit a bunch of magnetite clusters.  I just build maybe 6 or more magma smelters and set a couple to produce as much iron bars.  This way I can be assured that my various smiths can specialize in just making their wares and not worry about having enough bars.

the others, i make into engraver/mechanics.  I like smooth hallways... also massed stone-fall/weapon traps surrounding the fortress.

if there's still any excess, i throw them into the military in full gear, hopefully some of them will survive sparring until they become champions.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2008, 04:01:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Mulch Diggums:
<STRONG>Put them all in the military and give them the most powerfull weapons you have and watch them cut eachother to bits. Its fun stuff.</STRONG>

The survivor of such a tournament would then be an actually useful military dwarf. Theoretically.

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2008, 02:11:00 pm »

"What? is it already spring ya say? Well, the stockpile of absurd amounts of free plum helmets is THERE. You can grab a bed THERE. The sleeping catacombs of thousands of empty rooms stretching further down than anyone knows is THAT way, if anyone dare go deep enough to figure out why our legendary miner hasn't come up for two years gets double rations of beer for a month."
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

LegendaryFishCleaner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2008, 07:08:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Alfador:
<STRONG>

The survivor of such a tournament would then be an actually useful military dwarf. Theoretically.</STRONG>

Except for the red brain injury, resulting in severe, life-long narcolepsy.

Not that that wouldn't be equally cool.

Scorpios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2008, 07:15:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by LegendaryFishCleaner:
<STRONG>

Except for the red brain injury, resulting in severe, life-long narcolepsy.

Not that that wouldn't be equally cool.</STRONG>

Why not both?
After cleaving the goblin king in two, he'll settle down for a well-deserved nap.
And finally meet his end at the paws of a wandering raccoon.

find that I identify forum goers more by their signatures than anything else.
That being said, I should probably think of something witty to put here.
Pages: 1 [2]