Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Brilliant Military Tactics.  (Read 1654 times)

Hypcso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Brilliant Military Tactics.
« on: February 04, 2008, 04:18:00 pm »

So, My entire military consists of 5+ legendary skills each dwarves. Fitted out in full Godenite ( Slightly worse than Adaman, but a little more common.. I modded it in). I finally decide to send them out after a siege. Two melee dwarves ( Spear and Sword ) versus 100 gobbos with many machinegunner bowmen. They slaughter them all with little trouble. Now, here's where the brilliant tactics come up. They aren't satisfied with that victory however, Oh no. There are 3 goblins that jumped into the moat to attempt to avoid them. They happily hop in after the goblins, swim to them, dismember them and promptly drown.

Long story short:

2 Full suits of Godenite Armor: 24 bars of Godenite
Training 5 skills to legendary x2: 4 years

All that training and armor compared to a one tile wide moat: Nothing.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Brilliant Military Tactics.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 05:13:00 pm »

1 Zoo in the middle of dining room/booze pile

+

1 Caged dragon

+

120 Dwarves present

+

1 Trantum

=

Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Sularus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 05:14:00 pm »

yea but the armor isnt lost, simply drain the moat. And dwarves are the most renewable resource in the game as far as i can tell, so no big loss? Anyways why have 5 legendary wrestlers when you can have 150 dabbling?

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 06:14:00 pm »

That is why you should always build moats with a ramp going around the outside. Dwarves will swim out if they fall/jump in. Just make sure it is around the outside or enemies that fall in can come into your fort. If I ever build a moat that's what I plan on doing.

Hypcso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 06:38:00 pm »

It's not so much the armor, it's more the absurdity that water is a greater enemy than 100 goblins. I have plenty of armor anyway. There's not much room for change now, as pretty much the entire 130 dwarf ( 40 kids... Yeah,I know ) fort is tantruming due to the fact they were already on their last thread ( literally ) from rotting clothes. About 70% of the fortress were at very unhappy/miserable BEFORE this happened, and both dwarves + the one civilian who for some reason decided it'd be a great idea to stand in the middle of the courtyard when I called all dwarves inside, had many friends in the fort. The fact the bodies are also unrecoverable is another bad thought in a few months.

It's a shame, too. Not really how I envisioned my grand fort going out. Over 5 thousand kaolinite/bauxite went into the construction of outside fortifications and buildings alone.

I'd consider reclaiming once the last few remaining berserking/tantruming dwarves clear eachother out, but with 10k+ food and 2 huge 200+ bin stockpiles of finished goods, I would spend another 10 years getting everything back in its place before I could even begin playing again.

Also, the idea isn't that I actually needed them to defend, my fortress is quite capable of taking care of itself with little to no interaction from me.. but where is the fun in that? I would just think they would be smarter than to hop into deep water in a bloody suit of PLATEMAIL

And while we're on the subject, Why exactly does a peice of rotting clothing, that they are either too dumb or unwilling to remove, cause most dwarves to go on a berserker killing rampage? I understand they're not exactly stable, worshipping the god of blood and all that, but I had the captain of the guard's son ( who had grown into a peasent ) go berserk over a rotted pair of pants and bite the arm off his father, who was then forced to beat him to death. It just doesn't seem right =P

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 07:31:00 pm »

You could use the weatherdwarf utility to turn all those spare items lying about into boiling vapor.  Then you wouldn't have to sort through them on a reclaim.  Note:  this might turn more than you intend into molten slag.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 07:53:00 pm »

I thought the rotting clothes that make dwarves upset are the ones they are wearing. Burning them off might not be the best tactic to deal with them!
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 10:05:00 pm »

Warning:  Do not weatherdwarf yourself a fire in a grassland.  I have a new fort now.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 12:44:00 am »

Frederik Barbarossa, the Holy Roman Emperor, jumped into a lake while wearing a suit of platemail.  And there weren't even any goblins.

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 02:10:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>Frederik Barbarossa, the Holy Roman Emperor, jumped into a lake while wearing a suit of platemail.  And there weren't even any goblins.</STRONG>
Er, no, he was fording a river when the cold water triggered a heart attack.

While wearing platemail.

"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 02:31:00 am »

I thought it was only known that he died in water while wearing armor, and that the specifics weren't actually known?  Drowning and heart attack were just a couple theories.

Ah well, makes a nice story.  Like that "pickled emperor" tale afterwards.