It is more Grindtastic then a MMO! Yes
- 8 (8.9%)
They LIED TO ME! Yes
- 8 (8.9%)
I am a banana, no!
- 56 (62.2%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Who here would refund their No Man's Sky?  (Read 11808 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Who here would refund their No Man's Sky?
« Reply #120 on: August 19, 2016, 11:37:55 am »

lmao how can people even seriously say that games are going to shit when we've had a huge resurgence in niche indie games since like 2010.

"muh casuels runnin vidya ;~;" is pure bs. there's a small niche audience who thinks games are art, sure. sure, it's much more profitable to make games for the masses. but note that as long as people think games are art, they will make niche games for a niche audience.

and this is true for literally every form of art, ever? there are more music genres than pop, even if pop is the most popular. same for movies. same for TV series. same for anime. people don't just make games to make money. they make games because they want to make games.

Most people right now believe games are art, at least that is my inference. That isn't REALLY the issue.

Mostly it is that Casual Gamers are new to gaming (well SORT OF) and for the most part don't want anything too difficult or too deep (That was how I played games when I was a child. I'd put it on the easiest difficulty everytime and didn't care :P) mostly because their primary focus is just playing a game immediately and having fun without too much of a learning curve. Against Marketers who believe that Casuals REALLY don't want anything too difficult and that they HATE depth.

Who now outnumber "gamers" (people who game as a hobby) significantly so now they are the primary demographic. So almost all games now are filtered through the lens of "Will the everyman like it? Will the everyman understand?".

As for "Niche Indie games" big huge freeken MEH! The cream rises to the top and a lot of indie developers are proud to coast along mediocrity because trying would be "too hard". Meaning that the vast majority of indie games are blander then uncooked tofu. It makes standouts few and far between.

But as much as I am making that sound bad... I am honestly glad that indie is making a resurgence. I am just saying they aren't the saviors of videogames anymore than Telltalegames was the savior of point and clicks (which is a shame because I wanted them to be >_>). Though maybe I should be giving both of them more credit.

The best definition for gamer is probably a person who identifies as one. I'm pretty sure somebody who sometimes plays Candy Crush Saga on their phone when they have to wait for their bus wouldn't identify as a gamer, for example.

Ehh I personally treat it as someone who has gaming as a hobby.

It is the difference between someone who read all the Harry Potter Novels (and Twilight) versus someone who just reads in general.
casual gamers in no way impede your ability to enjoy a fucking game, and if they do you need to get your head out of your arse.

you completely ignored my fucking post: too. does the fact that the majority of people listen to pop mean that every other fucking genre is dying?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 19, 2016, 12:52:06 pm »

[reeeeeeee echos in the distance]
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #122 on: August 19, 2016, 12:58:20 pm »

Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 19, 2016, 01:03:53 pm »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 19, 2016, 01:41:28 pm »

I TL;DR'd Neo's post after reading "casuals are people new to gaming because noobs don't want a challenge," which is absurd.

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 19, 2016, 02:07:55 pm »

Wow, you guys really do have a special translator for Neon, don't you? He's trying his damndest to defend 'casual gamers' and everyone reading between the lines to things he didn't say...

"casuals" don't ruin games for other people, in the same way that the baby boomers didn't ruin doo-wop music(or however you spell it, I'm not trying to be racist against italians!).  They just existed, and by existing in large numbers, companies made things to sell to them.  So music people wanted to sell records to these baby boomer types, and they didn't want old timey music, they wanted rock&roll. 

If something is too long for you to read, perhaps it's also too long for you to comment on...

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #127 on: August 19, 2016, 02:24:42 pm »

R E E
E E E
E E E

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 19, 2016, 02:28:54 pm »

Wow, you guys really do have a special translator for Neon, don't you? He's trying his damndest to defend 'casual gamers' and everyone reading between the lines to things he didn't say...

"casuals" don't ruin games for other people, in the same way that the baby boomers didn't ruin doo-wop music(or however you spell it, I'm not trying to be racist against italians!).  They just existed, and by existing in large numbers, companies made things to sell to them.  So music people wanted to sell records to these baby boomer types, and they didn't want old timey music, they wanted rock&roll. 

If something is too long for you to read, perhaps it's also too long for you to comment on...

Gaming is just as "hardcore" as it has ever been, if not more.

Neo didn't exactly go out to attack people, which is fine. But we can still consider his statements to be wrong.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 19, 2016, 02:33:19 pm »

He literally said
Mostly it is that Casual Gamers are new to gaming (well SORT OF) and for the most part don't want anything too difficult or too deep (That was how I played games when I was a child. I'd put it on the easiest difficulty everytime and didn't care :P)

I was hardly using a special translator. You could use numerous other people's experience playing games as a child to "prove" the exact opposite thing, that people new to gaming prefer "Nintendo Hard" games instead. Of course, that's the past and IMHO it's silly to try to make claims about people starting gaming now using the distant* past experience of one person, or even numerous people.

* distant for how fast the games industry changes, anyways
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 19, 2016, 02:35:21 pm »

You can certainly consider his statements to be wrong, but nobody is disagreeing with things he said, they're disagreeing with what they seem to think he meant, despite what he said contradicting it. 

Are you saying 'casual' gamers aren't a much larger portion of the market than 'hardcore' gamers?
Are you saying companies don't tend to go after the biggest demographic they can?
Are you saying Neonivek didn't play games on easy mode as a child?

I just didn't see this 'hating on casuals' thing actually happen, but I see a lot of people commenting on it and seeming to be claiming Neon is doing it.  Also a lot of making fun of mentally retarded people... for some reason.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 19, 2016, 02:50:13 pm »

This argument is dumb and uninteresting, so I'm just going to declare you all wrong and challenge you to move on.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 19, 2016, 02:50:54 pm »

Are you saying 'casual' gamers aren't a much larger portion of the market than 'hardcore' gamers?
The numbers words 'casual' and 'hardcore', Mason! What do they mean!?

I don't draw any distinction. Gamers are gamers regardless of whether they play mobile games, easy games, games on their coffee break, EVE Online, Street Fighter, Dwarf Fortress, Overwatch, League of Legends, or Carl on Duty: Black Cops II, whatever.

Are you saying companies don't tend to go after the biggest demographic they can?
Pedantry: They go after whoever they think will throw the most money at them, which isn't necessarily the biggest demographic. Observe f2p MMOs, which get their profit from "whales" - really, really, really rich people who are willing to throw money at a game for an advantage, or just to look better than all the peasants around them who can't afford to waste their money.

Are you saying Neonivek didn't play games on easy mode as a child?
What.

I just didn't see this 'hating on casuals' thing actually happen, but I see a lot of people commenting on it and seeming to be claiming Neon is doing it.  Also a lot of making fun of mentally retarded people... for some reason.
What.

P.S. I remember Carl Winslow because I watched Family Matters. It's probably not as funny if you don't get the reference.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #133 on: August 19, 2016, 02:55:45 pm »

Had a report in here, and perhaps a deamplification is necessary.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 19, 2016, 02:59:13 pm »

This argument is dumb and uninteresting, so I'm just going to declare you all wrong and challenge you to move on.
I declare Egan_BW the winner of this dumb and uninteresting argument, and accept my crown of wrong and dumb, and will take up the challenge!

Carl of Duty is hilarious.  I'd play that game.  The last boss has to be a tag team of Steve Urkel and Stefanne Urkel, right? 

Oh no, a nuclear missile has been launched! "Did I do that?"

I could come up with features for this game all day, and I only watched like 8 episodes of family matters...
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10