Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Humanite [Tavern/Inn]  (Read 3049 times)

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Humanite [Tavern/Inn]
« on: August 14, 2016, 11:56:22 am »

There does not seem to be any penalty to killing people inside your Tavern or Fort. This could be a relatively easy way to get metal if you get a crappy embark.

If you attack performers while there is a soldier nearby, they do nothing. If you attack soldiers while a performer is nearby, they do nothing. Soldiers tend to fight back, while performers run for the nearest exit. I recommend a blocking force to ensure the kill, and they can't spread word of the slaughter.

I've gotten copper, bronze, and iron--in admittedly small quantities (shield and weapon if I'm lucky).

I tend to kill off performers and soldiers to try to clear room for more people to show up.

This has probably been noted before, but I just discovered it and I think it's cool.

If the humans decide to siege instead of trading this year, I'll retract this post.
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
Re: Humanite [Tavern/Inn]
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 02:48:35 pm »

Too small scale for my liking. And the returns are quite meager, as you pointed out. I can not imagine getting enough metal out of this ordeal to justify killing perfectly good canon fodder.
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 03:33:25 pm »

Visitite is indeed a known metal source, and so far the forum hasn't found any effects of slaughtering them (but that might change in any release, of course). Since there are parameters for how many visitors you accept I assume you can increase the flow (at the expense of FPS and "undesirable" visitors), provided your world supports it.
Given that military personnel now (0.43.05) carry full sets of armor, the amounts should increase considerably.

Personally I don't use that source intentionally (certain undesirables need to be eliminated, and I can't do anything about stupid military types that decide a goblin siege is a good time to arrive/leave).

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 03:41:33 pm »

certain undesirables need to be eliminated,

Dwarf Fortress Folks, where talk about eliminating undesirables is perfectly acceptable

JumpingJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 06:05:20 pm »

Dwarf Fortress Folks, where talk about eliminating undesirables is perfectly acceptable
Well sure, take it out of context and it sounds bad. :P
I'M NOT HERE TO CHAT, I'M HERE TO DANCE OVER YOUR DEFEAT.
Imagine how much more exciting the dinosaur exhibits would be if we had necromancers.
Sigtext

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 08:02:59 pm »

Visitite is indeed a known metal source, and so far the forum hasn't found any effects of slaughtering them (but that might change in any release, of course). Since there are parameters for how many visitors you accept I assume you can increase the flow (at the expense of FPS and "undesirable" visitors), provided your world supports it.
Given that military personnel now (0.43.05) carry full sets of armor, the amounts should increase considerably.

Personally I don't use that source intentionally (certain undesirables need to be eliminated, and I can't do anything about stupid military types that decide a goblin siege is a good time to arrive/leave).

Possibly, but consider this:

you could send Recruits with no weapon skills up against unarmed/armored dancers/poets/etc, and let them beat them to death with their fists or a blunt weapon. When they start OHKOing them, it's time to switch to a different weapon, to get the base skills up (Fighting, Dodging, Strike, etc). If they're properly armored, it's highly unlikely that they will be injured.

Then, when you think they're ready, send them out against the armed but unarmored mercenaries.

Don't think of it as a metal delivery system.

Think of it as a made-to-order danger room that can be begun with minimal resources and difficulty, the ability to reset it every few weeks, and you can clear the difficulty at any time with veteran troops--that happens to occasionally drop weapons-grade metal. I wouldn't necessarily want to try it early-game without armor, because our old friend Murphy could visit at any time.....
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 09:22:40 pm »

Magma your tavern. You don't need the large socks.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2016, 02:40:43 am »

Yes, some people weaponize those undesirables, while I just have them killed.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2016, 03:32:34 am »

You know, it isn't much better with context preserved.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2016, 07:49:01 am »

You know, it isn't much better with context preserved.
OK, I'll spell it out: Vampires and Weres are highly undesirable in my fortresses, and are rendered harmless as quickly as possible.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2016, 01:22:16 pm »

So what, you make the whole dance floor a retractable bridge, and down into a magma incerator leaving behind meltables for the armory?

How would you remove citizens from visitors?  Probably using civilian alert burrow. 

How fast can you build this contraption?  I suppose you can start with a standard drowning chamber and manual stripping for usable goods and dumping the useless parts.  Maybe a built in atom smasher instead of a drain.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2016, 02:30:42 pm »

Killing visitors causes less visitors to want to show up. Locations have reputations for how fun they are, how likely to accept long term guests they are, how dangerous they are, and maybe other things.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

JumpingJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2016, 09:07:10 pm »

Killing visitors causes less visitors to want to show up. Locations have reputations for how fun they are, how likely to accept long term guests they are, how dangerous they are, and maybe other things.
But if all the visitors have been dipped in a giant smelter, who's left to tattle?
I'M NOT HERE TO CHAT, I'M HERE TO DANCE OVER YOUR DEFEAT.
Imagine how much more exciting the dinosaur exhibits would be if we had necromancers.
Sigtext

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2016, 10:22:36 pm »

Will making here more dangerous attracts more mercenaries and less bards?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2016, 11:05:50 pm »

But if all the visitors have been dipped in a giant smelter, who's left to tattle?
If all visitors have been dropped into magma, nobody will hear you have a tavern.
Pages: [1] 2