Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Embarking: bolts are where?  (Read 775 times)

nunix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Embarking: bolts are where?
« on: February 04, 2008, 03:59:00 pm »

Pondering starting out with a couple of marksdwarves with crossbows, but cannae find bolts anywhere on the embark gear list. Where they be?

EDIT: Whee! They're under Ammo. I didn't have enough points for them to show up.. wish that would be changed. -.-

[ February 04, 2008: Message edited by: nunix ]

Bullion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Embarking: bolts are where?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 05:05:00 pm »

it's easiest just making wooden bolts when you get there, and training it on some chasm dwellers or something similar
Bullion cancels witty informative post: Interrupted by Logic

Sularus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 05:12:00 pm »

Or you turn on hunting and make bone bolts to replace the ones used to kill the creatures, and you get meat as a by product if you want it. If you start with 1 point in ambusher and 1 in crossbow i'm pretty sure dwarves start with a quiver and steel bolts.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 11:42:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by nunix:
<STRONG>EDIT: Whee! They're under Ammo. I didn't have enough points for them to show up.. wish that would be changed.</STRONG>

Bolts are dramatically overpriced at the moment anyway.  $1500 buys you 50 iron bolts.  Or, for about the same price, an anvil, a rock, charcoal and iron bars can become 200 iron bolts.

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 01:05:00 am »

"Ambusher" has to be the highest civilian skill to get bolts & other hunting gear.
"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 01:09:00 am »

The general rule about hunters with crossbows, do the animals they kill give enough bones to offset the amount used in the process of killing them?
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Alaern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 03:44:00 am »

If your marksmen can hit a target twenty inches away 5 times out of 10 - they do. Otherwise - maybe, since 1 bone gives you like 20 bone bolts, and most animals have at least 4 of them.

frostedfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 04:23:00 am »

alaern - 1 bone --> 5 bolts, depending on the stack you may get more bolts, eg musk oxen make 9 bones so I have my ambushers running around with 45 bolts in their backpack and thus rarely trying to bash the target  :D
the spinning bb round hits jack johnson, scumbag in the lower body!
it is pierced through entirely!
his right kidney has been poked out!
his liver has been mangled!

jack johnson, raider has been shot and killed.

The above (including bbcode) neatly weighs in at 255 characters. Fallout meets DF

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 06:58:00 am »

Bringing along a pair of breeding animals and butchering the offspring they produce is a great way of having a practically unlimited supply of bone arrows.  I have about 30 bins full of them in my latest fort, with two hunters and three marksdwarves in training.
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.