Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 75

Author Topic: Roll to create a supersoldier! Bloody air resistance  (Read 139531 times)

HugeNerdAndProudOfIt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to create a supersoldier! "Nah, too easy. I'll make a god instead."
« Reply #615 on: September 29, 2016, 04:53:13 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Don't eat ghosts, that's how we got into this mess to begin with.

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: September 29, 2016, 11:08:23 pm »

Solider Reporting for murder duty
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: September 30, 2016, 01:40:05 am »

Yeah, get me some untrained soldiers, but ones with some experience, if possible. Preference for people with high killcounts over just a long time of combat. Some people find it easier to kill than others, and those are just the kinds of minds I want.

Let's see... make sure all the systems are working on that suit. See if I can get the brains to do some instinctual melee attacks autonomously.

Does the Terrorizer have an inbuilt power source? If so, build some extras and have the brains carry them around.

How many brains can I manufacture in time for the deadline, and is there any real limit to the number that solder can command at once?

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: September 30, 2016, 01:52:42 am »

Simply not possible if you obey laws of this universe. Gravity wells produce opposite effect, but local acceleration of time is not possible.
((Didn't I make exotic matter for my wormhole? IIRC, that exotic matter should be anti-mass matter or something? So use anti-mass to get anti-gravity and speed up my local time? Just a thought.))

Frankly I don't know enough about physics to make sound judgement about that. But acceleration of time via negative mass indicates presence of negative gravity well which means pushing anything with positive mass away. And you would need to build a big planet with negative mass to make that happen. Macro engineering. Not feasible without relying on the outer god, and that might gather attention even more than simpler ways time acceleration.

Mercury, Mars and Luna produce two days worth of computronium each, which, when your mind is someday copied over, should be twice as effective than your current quantum brain.
((Wait wait, what? Copied over? I thought due to Meshanblov Collective tech I can just add them directly to my computing power, since the entire functioning of that tech is that it ended the era of multiple copies of me running around? What's going on? The intention was to give me a last-minute boost in research yesterday.))

Wasn't the plan to convert entire planets into computronium brains to host your mind on it with some superluminal communication to keep it connected and singular?
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: September 30, 2016, 02:12:31 am »

Simply not possible if you obey laws of this universe. Gravity wells produce opposite effect, but local acceleration of time is not possible.
((Didn't I make exotic matter for my wormhole? IIRC, that exotic matter should be anti-mass matter or something? So use anti-mass to get anti-gravity and speed up my local time? Just a thought.))

Frankly I don't know enough about physics to make sound judgement about that. But acceleration of time via negative mass indicates presence of negative gravity well which means pushing anything with positive mass away. And you would need to build a big planet with negative mass to make that happen. Macro engineering. Not feasible without relying on the outer god, and that might gather attention even more than simpler ways time acceleration.
Playing around with this and black holes seems like it would have been fun.

Mercury, Mars and Luna produce two days worth of computronium each, which, when your mind is someday copied over, should be twice as effective than your current quantum brain.
((Wait wait, what? Copied over? I thought due to Meshanblov Collective tech I can just add them directly to my computing power, since the entire functioning of that tech is that it ended the era of multiple copies of me running around? What's going on? The intention was to give me a last-minute boost in research yesterday.))
Wasn't the plan to convert entire planets into computronium brains to host your mind on it with some superluminal communication to keep it connected and singular?
Yeah, but can I not use the compotronium before turning the entire planet into a brain or something? Because the update implies the compotronium is unused so far.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 02:20:10 am by Demonic Spoon »

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: September 30, 2016, 02:23:34 am »

Quote from: AoshimaMichio

Yeah?
So transferring your mind permanently from rigid and static quantum computer to flexible, expandable and superiour medium makes more sense than merely using it from single point of failure. Changing platform rather than adding peripherals.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: September 30, 2016, 02:47:44 am »

Ask for at least a copy of me to stay around with the Doc, win or lose. It's been interesting, and hey, the Company doesn't need to know everything.

Finalize preparations for tomorrow. Get some camouflage clothing and stuff if I can.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: September 30, 2016, 03:41:57 am »

Quote from: AoshimaMichio

Yeah?
So transferring your mind permanently from rigid and static quantum computer to flexible, expandable and superiour medium makes more sense than merely using it from single point of failure. Changing platform rather than adding peripherals.
Aah. I thought my consiousness was distributed over all of it, not concentrated on the quantum brains. I may have forgotten some tech descriptions or something. Edited plan slightly to take that into account I guess.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 03:44:06 am by Demonic Spoon »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: September 30, 2016, 04:39:06 am »

((Solider Snaker, is that you? Also huzzah, the soldier lives!))

Prepare for the final day. Have literally a ton of coffee hauled into the workshops. This is gonna be an all-nighter.

Spoiler: Activities (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 04:41:12 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: September 30, 2016, 12:52:02 pm »

ATHATH awakens. The time has come.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: September 30, 2016, 01:14:46 pm »

If there is more work to be done on the combat armor, I finish it. This is my highest priority today unless it was completed yesterday ((my last turn didn't mention whether I got anything done on the suit)).

My next highest priority is Monster Maker II, so if I complete the combat suit, I try to get this combat-ready. If I do not complete it in time, I order a small explosive mortar from the Company for renegadetarantula to use instead.

And then, if that gets finished... I think I'm done? If I have spare time left after my supersoldier is equipped, I do some preliminary work on another project. Hopefully the company will be impressed with my zeal. If not, well, I'll know a little more about my next spare time project:
  • Codename Aphrodite: A body slightly larger than a human's, specialized for observation and precise manipulation rather than combat. The large head has eight eyes (with eagle-quality vision, ideally), each seeing a different range of colors, so closing different eyes would allow the body to filter out specific wavelength ranges. The torso has six long, slender arms with delicate fingers capable of precise and delicate movements. It is supported by three legs arranged in a tripod shape.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: September 30, 2016, 01:57:51 pm »

((Last advice thing: pull an all-nighter. I think there's literally no reason not to at this point.))

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: September 30, 2016, 03:02:47 pm »

One last time.

Do the prank real quick, then rush home for repairs/  last minute finishing up

The prank is pulled of perfectly! As in spirit of the prank you wallclip straight through few doors while forgetting to snatch assistants.

Change over to the Computronium, and then go Smart-Matter. Ramp up time acceleration to maximum and rapidly convert planets, stars, etc. into more production/computing mass. Just uninhabited planets and stars without life in their solar system. Yay!

Oh yeah, I knew I was forgetting something, make the three super-soldier quantum brains better at multi-tasking and working together, so they can get full efficiency out of the drone swarm and the main body.

Design some sort of effective lift system for the drones so they're all sporting particle beams.

I guess I can send over some of my nanites via wormhole if needed to finish this last minute stuff before the deadline

Priority 1: Femto-technology: The technology to manipulate things on a Femto scale, which allows to me to tinker with some of the more fundamental building blocks of reality. Go further to atto if possible.
Priority 2: Attempt to use psionics to locate other people who are using psionics, on a universal level. Send sensor drones to those locations to establish communications to other people who have tapped into divine power. Yay~
Priority 3: Reality Warping: I'm well on my way to this already, but mould every aspect of reality like clay.
Priority 4: Singularity Engineering: Play around with black holes, probably using psionic gravity manipulation. Seems fun.

Moving your mind over to the cheatium platform and then blatantly ignoring whole range of laws of physics. At this point they are more like guidelines for you.

Soldier upgraded in last possible moment.

Drones need a major revamp to make that possible. They are more aimed for pistol sized weapons, or small SMG at best. Giving them ability to carry three meter long particle accelerator and its pilot electrolaser AND a nucler reactor it needs is just not possible. Total and complete redesign is necessary. Or cheating. Cheating is easier. And faster.
Observing laws guidelines of this universe means after conversion they won't be drones anymore, but rather gunships, and that doesn't fit in term of super soldier any more. Seriously, how overpowered you want spaz to be? His particle cannon already gives him instant kill ability, but having a horde flying particle cannons isn't really fair anymore, not in IC nor in OOC. And I recall you saying he would be on his own...

Femto-tech. Have it.

Psionics detection. You discover eleven locations in our galaxy with psionic activity besides Earth, scattered rather equally. You discover nanite swarms eating dead rocky planets and replicating. Turns out they are Ozarck from planet Earth. Yay, you found your equal after all! He actually might be your superior by small margin!

Reality warping. Magic is your way. Notice me, outer god-sempai!

Singularity engineering. You blow up few blackholes for fun.

Yeah, get me some untrained soldiers, but ones with some experience, if possible. Preference for people with high killcounts over just a long time of combat. Some people find it easier to kill than others, and those are just the kinds of minds I want.

Let's see... make sure all the systems are working on that suit. See if I can get the brains to do some instinctual melee attacks autonomously.

Does the Terrorizer have an inbuilt power source? If so, build some extras and have the brains carry them around.

How many brains can I manufacture in time for the deadline, and is there any real limit to the number that solder can command at once?

It's hard to tell how much these guys have experience because they were kidnapped by professional mercenary squads. But brains are brains, hopefully they are better than your avarage test subject in terms of war. You quickly perform the operation on them.

More autonomy you give them back, more changes they have to become independant again. But you work very, very carefully to reach your goal and think you were able to avoid that pitfall. They don't have very good aim with their melee attacks, but it's enough to trouble any untrained assailant.

Terrorizer doesn't have built in power source. It has always been plugged to external outlet.

Manufacture brains? Zero when you word it like that. But enough to reach capacity of the system. Besides constructing replacement parts is permitted outside of the deadline and in between testing rounds as long as you are not developing anything new.
The slave brain array was built with six brains in mind, so going too far beyond that is not recommended. Eight is probably fine. Ten maybe not so much.

Ask for at least a copy of me to stay around with the Doc, win or lose. It's been interesting, and hey, the Company doesn't need to know everything.

Finalize preparations for tomorrow. Get some camouflage clothing and stuff if I can.

That's up to him, and you are valuable employee for the Company so I don't quite think your mind will be wiped so easily. Of course if doc George decides to do it anyway there's a little Company can do to prevent it.

Technically all soldiers are given a week or two time to get familiar with their new weapons, armors, augmentations and other systems before they are put into their trial of fire and blood. It's simulated time primarily.

"Sometimes in your research you will find an opportunity to potentially turn yourself into a god. It happens more often than you think! When it does, though, the first question you need to ask is: what happened to the previous idiot who discovered this?"

Head Researcher Curious George, Knuckle-Deep In The Mind, A Memoir

OPERATION: ALL-SEEING EYE

Step Twenty-Two: have the EP check if his functional teleport abilities have improved as a result of having the stonemind on hand. Congratulate him on a job well done, and tell him that if all goes well he probably won't remember any of this. It's been a pleasure working with the lad!

OPERATION: ALL-SEEING EYE has concluded, result: a hivemind has been equipped with improved neural parameters, control mechanisms and considerable teleport abilities, complete with a non-organic backup unit to be carried along (later black box recovery? should be very difficult to reverse engineer, at least).

OPERATION: CLOSING QUESTION

Step the Only: see if I can send a simple mind probe (using the relatively simple, already mapped brain of Caenorhabditis elegans as a base to work from) into the great beyond and have it relay transcendent secrets without fully understanding them to a terminal on this side (link with WHW-B, or a simplified version thereof). Should be a good project for the last afternoon as I relax. And hey, maybe there's something really funny on the other side I can break out for the wrap party.

OPERATION: CELEBRATE WITH CAKE

Step PARTY: after EP is done with testing the stonemind and everyone's settled in, set them on the task of getting a party together. Invite lab techs, EP, ape test beds. Conclude the festivities with closing remarks from my Journey terminal if there's anything even vaguely resembling speech within it. Actually, conclude them with said remarks even if there isn't. Laughs will be had either way.

OPERATION: ALL-SEEING EYE

Marginal improvement. It may come handy in some special cases, but mostly it won't matter.

OPERATION: CLOSING QUESTION

Build two modified WHW-B's with infinite range, connect one to the nematode and another into testbed receiver. Add WHW-T into nematode and feed it altered set of TG coordinates (altered in terms of source shape and size, can't keep sending entire sections of lab). Maybe WHW-ASE too to read in case there's something to read. This makes a neat party trick.

But nothing came.

OPERATION: CELEBRATE WITH CAKE

Is everybody ready? With a flash of light you send the nematode and its modules into far beyond. The flash isn't anything worse than getting pointed into eyes with a LED flashlight. And with that you declare party open! EP made a mean cake and proves to be an excellent chef. It's a great party. No speeches in particular, but you thank everyone for their contributions (especially yourself).

Spoiler: SECRET TECHNOLOGIES (click to show/hide)

It's been a blast, you all.

My tech went places I didn't expect. Some good, some bad, some frikken awesome. A part of what success I had was due to a scientific detour. I was researching something and got sidetracked (via rolls I guess) onto another line of research that proved quite profitable. Here's hoping that everyone enjoys the next game too! I hope teh soldiers all have a good time, and that we scientists didn't let anyone down too much.

Doctor Ozarck here wants to invite everyone along for the Grand Tour of Reality. He pops up in everyone's personal room and gives you option to ascend beyond humanity, immortality via nanomahchines, super powers from god and membership in swarm soul communications network. The man is either very selfless or plans to integrate your individuality into the collective by force.

If there is more work to be done on the combat armor, I finish it. This is my highest priority today unless it was completed yesterday ((my last turn didn't mention whether I got anything done on the suit)).

My next highest priority is Monster Maker II, so if I complete the combat suit, I try to get this combat-ready. If I do not complete it in time, I order a small explosive mortar from the Company for renegadetarantula to use instead.

And then, if that gets finished... I think I'm done? If I have spare time left after my supersoldier is equipped, I do some preliminary work on another project. Hopefully the company will be impressed with my zeal. If not, well, I'll know a little more about my next spare time project:
  • Codename Aphrodite: A body slightly larger than a human's, specialized for observation and precise manipulation rather than combat. The large head has eight eyes (with eagle-quality vision, ideally), each seeing a different range of colors, so closing different eyes would allow the body to filter out specific wavelength ranges. The torso has six long, slender arms with delicate fingers capable of precise and delicate movements. It is supported by three legs arranged in a tripod shape.
Tarantula armor was done five days ago. It's listed in your completed techs.

You are still distracted by your fantasies but you get just enough done when you notice night coming to declare it combat ready. Pheromone protection didn't make it into final design, but horns, improved musculature and largely increased metabolism did. Plus scales, claws and carnivore teeths.

That's about it then. Personal hobbyist projects can be done in down time, but nothing more for soldier.

And you got pranked by invisible robot overlord who after the fact proceeded to run through few doors.

((Solider Snaker, is that you? Also huzzah, the soldier lives!))

Prepare for the final day. Have literally a ton of coffee hauled into the workshops. This is gonna be an all-nighter.

Spoiler: Activities (click to show/hide)

Old sigs.
Games.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: September 30, 2016, 03:03:04 pm »

Scientist body count high scores:

115 - Egan_BW (+100 dogs)
51  - penguinofhonor
49  - Ozarck
45  - NAV
43  - Harry Baldman
32  - Demonic Spoon
6   - HugeNerdAndProudOfIt
0.5 - Sean Mirrsen (technically he only wounded himself and one assistant)

Special mention to Harry Baldman because he managed to kill his first super soldier candidate.

What's next?

Now on this weekend I'll check with scientists if we have correct understanding what your soldier exactly has. Their weapons, augmentations, alterations, armors, utility devices or whatever else was made. What they are capable of. I have notes down in my files, but in some cases previously developed technology wasn't used or was made obsolete by later developments.

So scientists, please give me a list what exactly your soldier will be using. After I wake up tomorrow I'll go over it all and rebuild all details soldiers and I will be needing. Probably few rounds of confirmations will take place.

After that's done I'll take a day or two break from this before soldiers will be transported to testing grounds and killing can start in earnest.
First area for testing is urban combat somewhere war torn city. There will be regular soldiers to give you some minor trouble.
Second round will take place in a Vietnam jungles, and third one will be a winter war in some cold snowy northern area, maybe in Siberia, Alaska or Canada.

Scientist will automatically build all ammo your soldier needs before each test round as well as replace, repair, or rebuild damaged or destryed parts and super soldiers. Because some weapons in play are rather destructive, we may need new volunteers to replace the few inevitably dead ones.

And of course in IC terms soldiers will have enough time to get used everything they are given.

That's all that comes into mind now.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 03:24:47 pm by AoshimaMichio »
Old sigs.
Games.

HugeNerdAndProudOfIt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: September 30, 2016, 04:45:41 pm »

Don't eat ghosts, that's how we got into this mess to begin with.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 75