Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 75

Author Topic: Roll to create a supersoldier! Bloody air resistance  (Read 139503 times)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to create a supersoldier! "Nah, too easy. I'll make a god instead."
« Reply #600 on: September 29, 2016, 02:24:15 am »

It's that whole "prevent testing taking place and disable advanced technologies on Earth". Company needs airships and a lot of advanced tech to deliver soldiers to testing sites and evaluate them.

What I think is, that Santa Claus will notice.

I mean. He's definitely going to know something's up, the man has a better spy network than anyone in the world if he's able to track the actions of a few billion people throughout the year. He has at the very least antigrav and inertialess propulsion technology, shortrange teleportation/matter phasing, he's probably got an industrial/mining complex under the Arctic ocean for access to the Arctic shelf and all the crude oil there (for plastics; he's still making toys through all that), and he's definitely going to notice if Earth's satellites start going out when it starts impacting his own spynet. That's aside from the army of "helpers" he has. He isn't known to have any actual world-ending weaponry, unless the Russians' Father Frost is the same guy, but even just what he has should be pretty good.
Santa Claus is on ice until Christmas. The man has very short fuse, so elves are not going to wake him up very easily.

PS: Haven't you heard Santa Claus lives in Finland?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 02:38:21 am by AoshimaMichio »
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: September 29, 2016, 02:36:11 am »

And then, after a month of research, Doktor Ocean loses all of his research in a solar flare that sends the human race back into the stoneage.
JUST AS PLANNED

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: September 29, 2016, 02:50:15 am »

PS: Haven't you heard Santa Claus lives in Finland?
That's what everyone heard.

And fair enough. The elves will notice, then. Either they solve the problem with extreme prejudice, or some quantum upstart is going to cause a big enough ruckus to wake the man up ahead of time, and then everyone is on the Naughty List.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 02:54:37 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: September 29, 2016, 02:59:45 am »

It's that whole "prevent testing taking place and disable advanced technologies on Earth". Company needs airships and a lot of advanced tech to deliver soldiers to testing sites and evaluate them.
Fair enough. Edited out my destructive urges.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: September 29, 2016, 08:23:20 am »

Well, okay then. I won't contradict the GM.

edit: damn 8) smileys.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 08:40:21 am by Sean Mirrsen »

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: September 29, 2016, 08:32:48 am »

I divide my day between finishing Monster Maker II and completing the armor suit. I make sure there are enough straps/holsters/etc to hold a submachine gun, the dart gun, a 40kg mace, the new MM mortar, a couple pistols for sidearms (one on top of his body, one on the bottom), ammunition for all these weapons, the first aid jelly tubes, and a couple grenades (edit: and a shotgun). I also need to get it camouflaged, preferably a pattern that is designed for different environments since I don't know the battlefield there will be multiple battlefields. Maybe something like MultiCam?

I also ask renegadetarantula if he has any gun preferences. In addition to my biological weapons, he's getting a submachine gun and two pistols. If he wants any specific models, I will ask the Company for them. Otherwise I'll probably just go with standard military issue weapons.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 10:04:47 am by penguinofhonor »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: September 29, 2016, 08:38:18 am »

((We know there will be three battlefields: Arctic, Jungle, and Urban. I'm prepping camouflage based on that.))

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: September 29, 2016, 09:16:24 am »

Eh...a 1911 maybe? Nothing like a nice .45 ACP to the face. Actually, fuck it. GI just came out with a .50 cal conversion for the Glock 21. Get me two of those.

SMG? I've always liked the FN P90. Let's get one of those. Get fullmetal jacketed rounds, hollow point and AP for the pistols and SMG as well.

Oh! A shotgun as well. A Fostech Origin-12 mag fed 12 gauge semiauto. Slugs, buckshot, shredder rounds and incendiary for that please.

Unless, of course, the Company has other weapons they would recommend.
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: September 29, 2016, 10:00:07 am »

At the end of the day I forward renegadelobster's weapon and ammunition requests to my Agent.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: September 29, 2016, 03:40:20 pm »

One more time.

More pranks and stealing, stealth into a place, connect all speakerstogether then have them play the sound of a hundred ten year old call of duty players screaming "420 blaze it, 360 no scope pro 1v1 me git rekt", curse words, raging,  and blowing air horns while popping smoke grenades all at once, then go kidnap some low level scientists on the way out... ooh ohh don't forget to leave some kool-aid out for those that are left!

After visiting main office for more locations another day is spent tirelesly running along highways and dodging cars. Your dedication for pranks is admirable, if misplaced. This place doesn't seem any different from others from outside.

Mercury, Mars, Luna spend 100% of their production capacity on computronium

Earth nanites build All-Conditioners and Quantum Comms, and send 100 nanites to each of the closest stars, excepting Sol, until 50% of nanites are left. The All-Conditioners keep local conditions stable while the wormholes are opened to prevent stellar ejection into the Wormhole airlock when wormholes are opened on the stars.

Remaining Earth nanites are sent to Venus and Gas Giants. Evacuate any essential assets and Singularity technology that may still be remaining on Earth to Mars and destroy the Wormhole generator if it can't be evacuated. Science bodies remain behind, ready to repair my super-soldier.

All remaining Nanites do 50% self-replication, 50% computronium

Priority 1: Space-Time Manipulation: Learn how to manipulate space and time, so that for example, I experience more time than anyone else, say 2 seconds to everyone else's 1 second, or I can create pocket dimensions.
Priority 2: Psionics/Miracles: This looks interesting. Get some more applications, maybe the space-time manipulation along with improved wormholes and blocking hostile teleportation/wormholes? Also try not to piss off god I guess. If possible, set up an anti-teleportation net around earth.
Priority 3: Demigod: Fully combine Grey Goo, Computronium, All-Condition Technology, Forcefields and QE comms into uniform Smart Matter that is more than the sum of its parts. If possible, also incorporate wormhole generation.
Priority 4: Wormholes 2: Try to make them easier to well, generate, preferrably on the level that every nanite can make one.

Mercury, Mars and Luna produce two days worth of computronium each, which, when your mind is someday copied over, should be twice as effective than your current quantum brain.

Hundred stars infested with your nanomachines, which immediately start eating hot hydrogen and helium and converting them into more nanites. Stars look very hot at up close.

You use nanites to build small free energy node to keep your quantum brain powered through transition to Mars. Weather in your chosen location is good right now; no sand stroms in sight. Wormhole generator cannot be moved through the wormhole it generates so your sciency bodies break it apart. Exotic matter synthetizer is carried over because it is not actively needed right now.

And back to sciencing.

Space-Time Manipulation:
Simply not possible if you obey laws of this universe. Gravity wells produce opposite effect, but local acceleration of time is not possible. Likewise pocket dimensions are not possible. Which means you have to rely on Outer God's power to archieve that. You parasite. Like an ant basking in light of galaxy cluster. Done.

Psionics/Miracles:
Space-Time Manipulation is archieved via this route. The thing about leeching off a god is that it apparently doesn't block itself. It's not possible to tell what is hostile and not, but you can block superluminal transportation obeying laws of this universe around Earth. Anything employing the outer god ignores all those blockades. (This won't be listed in your techs because it is such a broard concept, like fire or transistor.)

Demigod:
Don't get too cocky here. You are an ant compared to a galaxy cluster that is the outer god. But such smart matter is possible even with laws of universe. Basically nanites hosting complex structures allowing your mind to operate and form at will structures necessary to employ extra natural effects of the outer god. QEC can be ditched in favour of full time leech. Instruct Smart Matter nanites to form unique signature structure coupled with shared mind pattern and that is effectively enough to combine all your nanites into one single entity, which hopefully is still you.

Wormholes 2:
We go with magic, because obeying laws of reality makes it impossible to reach such capacity on such low scale. It will require few million nanites to form structure required.

Create system where slaved brains can maintain control of their original bodies. Immediately begin to stick these in the heads of as many test subjects as possible, and have soldier practice controlling them.
The exosuit has the hardpoints installed, yes? One machinegun, one grenade launcher. Make EMP grenades for use with the launcher.

Make sure that I have lots of generic military equipment to give to mindless slavebrain bodies.

See if, when a slaved brain is exposed to eldritch ocean, the effect flows back to the master brain, and if so, give the slavebrain bodies the same metal skull treatment.
Test if Eldritch Ocean still has the enhanced range I saw earlier.

Test if Calm Ocean also benefits from the same range.
Make the soldier train constantly, do not let him leave the lab. Do all of this for five days straight, get ample supply of caffeine, and don't sleep.

Remember above action, repeat until deadline. Shotgun as much as possible.

I actually meant for the slavebrain bodies to still have their brains in the original bodies, so I'd be inducing the vegetable state, lining the skull with shielding, and then putting a chip in their skulls that allows the soldier to wirelessly control the body, while still using it as a slave. This means that I'm not limited by the number of brains carried in the suit, because the bodies would carry their own brains. Sorry that was unclear.

Give the soldier a kind of switch controlled by mmi, so he can choose to control only one body at a time. Try to give the brains enough autonomy to at least stand on their own.

Also see if I could acquire brains from trained soldiers to stick in the exosuit.

Yeah, equipment is received and given.

I believe I said Terrorizer, aka. Dreamstream, has stable range? It doesn't matter which mixtape you are playing, the range is same. And soldier trains virtually more after development phase is done to ensure they won't trip over their feets when using new equipment/augmentations.

In that case its same result. Short range wireless ability was kinda implied with MMI, like 50m max.

Modifying slave brain array to permit selective usage of units takes entire (yester)day. In the end you manage to improve the system so master brain gets more feedback from individual brains in it. The feedback is rough idea about state of the brain, for example master can have sense about what some brain's body is doing without actually seeing the body, which wasn't possible before this. Addressing individual tasks to brains is also possible now, but its more like master is a squad leader barking mental orders.

And today you work with vegetable brains to make them function with least amount of individuality. You enable simple autonomy, such as standing upright, don't breath water, don't drool, don't piss in your pants and so on. Simple stuff.

You are not getting brains from company employees, that's for certain. And obtaining soldiers who do not fight against and nobody will miss is extremely hard. There aren't that many wars going on where sides won't try to rescue their wounded ones, especially when soldiers are actually professional ones. Untrained ones you could easily get from various African civil wars. Company can get you few of those within deadline, if you want to.

OPERATION: ALL-SEEING EYE

Step Nineteen, STILL CONTINUED: eh, let's save the all-nighter for the day after this. It's traditional, after all! Keep working at it! Get those tiny balls well in hand!

The mind ball model is ready, so you set the printer working on it. After watching if five minutes you come in conclusion it will probably be ready by tomorrow morning. So slow. Granted it operates on atomic level so it is rather fast if you think about it. Seeing you have most of the day left you figure you could make it even faster. You leave it printing and start planning upgrades for it. Speed upgrades, primarily, though few other ideas come into mind too. Once you are confident about the plan, you pause printing and work furiously to upgrade the device.

After exhausting your daily mental reserves you set it back to work and wait nervously. By midnight the device finishes its work. Tiny mindball is ready! Now, it cannot communicate directly with you in any way so seeing if it worked is a bit difficult to confirm. It theoretically has WHW-B and hivemind modules built in so seeing EP should confirm it.

On your way to look EP one of them comes and reports its experience (see Xantalos' turn below). So yay for progress! This proves mind is not product of neurons, but rather uses brain as a mere substrate to interact. Any matter can host mind as long as is fulfills specific structural requirements. Therefore mind comes from somewhere else. And you are not the body nor the brain. You are an observer directly interacting with the biological substrate. Why? Why are you here? What you are observing? Humans? No, only one would be enough. Besides humans act because of those observers. Animals act because of those observers. Plants are probably the only ones without brain or complex system capable hosting a mind, but there's nothing interesting about plants.

So why?

That dream of Terrible Glory cames into mind. Blinding light. Illusions of light if produces. Light. Light is to see. To see others. To see self. Are you here to see yourself, the observers? Are the observers trying to see themselves in a mirror on other side of the veil? Are you here to pull that veil aside so it can fully see itself? It may be. Humans do yearn to find other intelligent species in space to tell who we are. All that self searching, is it a hidden reflection of our true purpose here? It may be. There's only one way to know for sure.

You need to see the light by yourself.

Pick up psychological warfare in the time I have remaining. How to use whatever humanity the scientists have left my competition against them.

Each of you finds a computer and locates different book about the subject and starts reading, maximizing your efficiency and making great progress in understanding and manipulating minds.

When evening comes, you are extended by another mind and it comes by complete suprise. At first it feels utterly alien in its brilliance and in its freshness, but on the very next moment you identify it as yourself. Your original human self, identical in all ways to yourself. Senseless. This new section of you has no eyes, no body, no anything. It only exists and expands you just like all those other brains of yours. Weird kind of resonance goes through you as its executive module tries to assert itself over you only to find it already is you. You are you. Twice more you. It's uncomfortable, but reassuring in other ways; your body may die, but your self does not.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: SECRET TECHNOLOGIES (click to show/hide)

((Still though, all I have in terms of the combat body is fairly mundane exosuit. I'll just have to hope that everybody's vulnerable to my trump card...))
I'm so curious. I've wanted to peak into others' research so many times, in part to see what kind of crap I needed to counter, and in part to spur my own research into more. I wonder what kinds of things I haven't prepared my soldier for.

Edit: I've barely even looked at the posts done in the open. I have no idea what Harry's research is, for example.

Eh...a 1911 maybe? Nothing like a nice .45 ACP to the face. Actually, fuck it. GI just came out with a .50 cal conversion for the Glock 21. Get me two of those.

SMG? I've always liked the FN P90. Let's get one of those. Get fullmetal jacketed rounds, hollow point and AP for the pistols and SMG as well.

Oh! A shotgun as well. A Fostech Origin-12 mag fed 12 gauge semiauto. Slugs, buckshot, shredder rounds and incendiary for that please.

Unless, of course, the Company has other weapons they would recommend.

Company doesn't recommend anything. Agent nods and weapons you request arrives in five hours plus few ammo crates.

I divide my day between finishing Monster Maker II and completing the armor suit. I make sure there are enough straps/holsters/etc to hold a submachine gun, the dart gun, a 40kg mace, the new MM mortar, a couple pistols for sidearms (one on top of his body, one on the bottom), ammunition for all these weapons, the first aid jelly tubes, and a couple grenades (edit: and a shotgun). I also need to get it camouflaged, preferably a pattern that is designed for different environments since I don't know the battlefield there will be multiple battlefields. Maybe something like MultiCam?

I also ask renegadetarantula if he has any gun preferences. In addition to my biological weapons, he's getting a submachine gun and two pistols. If he wants any specific models, I will ask the Company for them. Otherwise I'll probably just go with standard military issue weapons.
At the end of the day I forward renegadelobster's weapon and ammunition requests to my Agent.

You totally forgot to work with monster maker. It completely splipped from your mind when you started to dreaming what all you could do after you win and the Company hires you. What a pleasant dreams those are!

Well, okay then. I won't contradict the GM.

edit: damn 8) smileys.

My favourite smileys. And occasionally annoying. I use [nobbc] tags to deal with it, but your way works too.

I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: September 29, 2016, 03:53:38 pm »

Do the prank real quick, then rush home for repairs/  last minute finishing up
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: September 29, 2016, 04:30:24 pm »

"Sometimes in your research you will find an opportunity to potentially turn yourself into a god. It happens more often than you think! When it does, though, the first question you need to ask is: what happened to the previous idiot who discovered this?"

Head Researcher Curious George, Knuckle-Deep In The Mind, A Memoir

OPERATION: ALL-SEEING EYE

Step Twenty-Two: have the EP check if his functional teleport abilities have improved as a result of having the stonemind on hand. Congratulate him on a job well done, and tell him that if all goes well he probably won't remember any of this. It's been a pleasure working with the lad!

OPERATION: ALL-SEEING EYE has concluded, result: a hivemind has been equipped with improved neural parameters, control mechanisms and considerable teleport abilities, complete with a non-organic backup unit to be carried along (later black box recovery? should be very difficult to reverse engineer, at least).

OPERATION: CLOSING QUESTION

Step the Only: see if I can send a simple mind probe (using the relatively simple, already mapped brain of Caenorhabditis elegans as a base to work from) into the great beyond and have it relay transcendent secrets without fully understanding them to a terminal on this side (link with WHW-B, or a simplified version thereof). Should be a good project for the last afternoon as I relax. And hey, maybe there's something really funny on the other side I can break out for the wrap party.

OPERATION: CELEBRATE WITH CAKE

Step PARTY: after EP is done with testing the stonemind and everyone's settled in, set them on the task of getting a party together. Invite lab techs, EP, ape test beds. Conclude the festivities with closing remarks from my Journey terminal if there's anything even vaguely resembling speech within it. Actually, conclude them with said remarks even if there isn't. Laughs will be had either way.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: September 29, 2016, 04:34:32 pm »

Simply not possible if you obey laws of this universe. Gravity wells produce opposite effect, but local acceleration of time is not possible.
((Didn't I make exotic matter for my wormhole? IIRC, that exotic matter should be anti-mass matter or something? So use anti-mass to get anti-gravity and speed up my local time? Just a thought.))

Mercury, Mars and Luna produce two days worth of computronium each, which, when your mind is someday copied over, should be twice as effective than your current quantum brain.
((Wait wait, what? Copied over? I thought due to Meshanblov Collective tech I can just add them directly to my computing power, since the entire functioning of that tech is that it ended the era of multiple copies of me running around? What's going on? The intention was to give me a last-minute boost in research yesterday.))

Change over to the Computronium, and then go Smart-Matter. Ramp up time acceleration to maximum and rapidly convert planets, stars, etc. into more production/computing mass. Just uninhabited planets and stars without life in their solar system. Yay!

Oh yeah, I knew I was forgetting something, make the three super-soldier quantum brains better at multi-tasking and working together, so they can get full efficiency out of the drone swarm and the main body.

Design some sort of effective lift system for the drones so they're all sporting particle beams.

I guess I can send over some of my nanites via wormhole if needed to finish this last minute stuff before the deadline

Priority 1: Femto-technology: The technology to manipulate things on a Femto scale, which allows to me to tinker with some of the more fundamental building blocks of reality. Go further to atto if possible.
Priority 2: Attempt to use psionics to locate other people who are using psionics, on a universal level. Send sensor drones to those locations to establish communications to other people who have tapped into divine power. Yay~
Priority 3: Reality Warping: I'm well on my way to this already, but mould every aspect of reality like clay.
Priority 4: Singularity Engineering: Play around with black holes, probably using psionic gravity manipulation. Seems fun.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 03:42:45 am by Demonic Spoon »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: September 29, 2016, 04:35:09 pm »

It's been a blast, you all.

My tech went places I didn't expect. Some good, some bad, some frikken awesome. A part of what success I had was due to a scientific detour. I was researching something and got sidetracked (via rolls I guess) onto another line of research that proved quite profitable. Here's hoping that everyone enjoys the next game too! I hope teh soldiers all have a good time, and that we scientists didn't let anyone down too much.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: September 29, 2016, 04:45:07 pm »

Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 75