Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 75

Author Topic: Roll to create a supersoldier! Bloody air resistance  (Read 139498 times)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to create a supersoldier! "Nah, too easy. I'll make a god instead."
« Reply #555 on: September 27, 2016, 04:33:16 am »

((This is ridiculously slow. Why?))

Hello mister "I design and build high power fusion reactor in five days from nothing."
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: September 27, 2016, 04:40:48 am »

((Yeah, theoretical research is one thing. You can have the best mind in the surrounding star cluster, and you can still be done in by pesky stuff such as implementation.

I mean, we already have the theoretical tech for warp drives. We "just" need exotic-ass materials and untold quantities of energy to do it.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: September 27, 2016, 05:06:24 am »

For non-singularity types I give a prototype device as part of the research, mostly because the scale is so small. But when you start building something that takes hundreds cubic meters of space construction time starts to become very significant factor. I mean here in Finland we have a nuclear reactor construction project going on that has been running since 2005 and after 11 years it still isn't ready (and cost has been tripled). It certainly didn't take that long to design it.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: September 27, 2016, 05:31:05 am »

Speaking of cubic meters, if I want a hydrographics setup the size of a small swimming pool, do I need to construct it myself or can the Company just make that happen?

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: September 27, 2016, 05:36:56 am »

You can build it by yourself faster, but Company can also do it for you. Or you could put your assistants in work too.
Old sigs.
Games.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: September 27, 2016, 10:27:55 am »

I continue reworking the monster maker, getting a bit more creative. Real scales are a good start, and then big claws and sharp teeth. Larger muscles too. Then perhaps some horns scattered across the body unpredictably. And an accelerated metabolism, even after the transformation is complete, for more hunger. I also work on whatever pheromone changes are necessary to make them not attack the monster maker's user. I design a pheromone modification injection that will give someone the pheromone signature they need to be perceived as friendly by the monsters. If I complete this, I test it by putting four test subjects in Chimera's old reinforced cell, injecting one with the pheromone modification and the other three with the monster maker serum (delivered from a distance via dart gun).

I design some basic tests for gun accuracy and mace handling, and give renegadelobster the weapons I ordered from the Company. I instruct him to complete the appropriate test with each weapon and instruct his assistant to record the results.
If this works I should be able to get at least a weight range that he can handle well, and narrow down the weapons he'll be practicing with tomorrow.

I also check on the test subjects who have been given neurotoxin immunity, and if they're showing no side effects I give renegadelobster immunity to the neurotoxin he'll be wielding (the first one, that targets more than the brain) and give myself immunity to both.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: September 27, 2016, 10:56:22 am »

I figure this needs a new post in case Aoshima has already copied the action turns in.

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 11:00:03 am by Sean Mirrsen »

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: September 27, 2016, 11:37:46 am »

Do what must be done
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: September 27, 2016, 03:22:10 pm »

Arn't you suppose to do a super solder rollcall by now to see if their are openings?

This is the very day I was planning to do it. Speaking of:

Hey soldier volunteers!

Please confirm you are available for murder starting on next week. If you can't confirm before day 0, you'll be replaced. By my notes the volunteers are:
  • ATHATH, assigned for NAV
  • Dustan Hache, assigned for Ozarck
  • killerhellhound, assigned for Sean Mirrsen
  • renegadelobster, assigned for penguinofhonor. Eh, you probably are fine. Been posting actively.
  • spazyak, assigned for Demonic Spoon. Likewise assuming you'll be there.
  • star2wars3, assigned for Egan_BW.
  • Xantalos, assigned to Harry Baldman. Resident psionic soldier will probably be ready to serve.
  • Yottawhat, assigned to HugeNerdAndProudOfIt.

While we are talking about this let's talk about other things too. In the beginning I said combat testing would start on 1st October, but I have come to realize that's not possible. For starters I have to go through with everybody their soldier design in details, what they have and what they can do.

On related note after day 0 I'll be taking a break for rest, a day or two. Lately writing turns has taken all my free time, in worst case over five hours thanks to multiplying complexity. So some free time would be nice.

Oh, and scientists? The Company wants you equip your soldiers with basic recoding set so they can review their effiency from multiple angles. Also tracking devices everything you deploy so they can be recovered later in case they get discarded during testing. Simple GPS locators will be provided if you are too budy to build your own. Please do not use them to locate your opponents.

3 days until deadline.

Find the target, wait, move around his house occaisionaly, attempt to stay out of the way, mess with electronics to start hooking up his cd player, tv, computers, all of it so that,, at the press of a button, I can rick role him and burst into the room he is in uncloaked screaming "Oh Yeah!" With a glass of koolade in hand to give to him.
Also go steal files of the computers while I am it if I can

And maybe a few hapless victims while I am at it, err maybe not. Who told you to speak up?! We all agreed I was head mind. What was the vote? Two to one. Origional mind two, senority. But maybe kidnpping people wouldn't be good ideal, wasn't there that one thing about not harming other scientists? Yeah but I mean theft IS already harming them, besides we aren't taking a head scientist. Actualy we do we even need the bodies? Surely we just need their heads..let's just take the heads from those we are probably going to end upkilling when this goes to shit anyways. Agreed, other me, you agree? Yeah.

You use invisibility to get to main door and inside. Basically when a guard opens the door you punch him on back of head knocking him out and slip in while door is still open. This laboratory is very similar to the one where you were transformed. Few guards occasionally patrolling hallways, and when day progresses assistants too start running around doing... whatever they do. You manage to find a computer that seems to be important and download as much data as possible. You have no idea if what you got is useful, but folder names like "Dazzleball", "Hypereyes" and "Monoatomic katana" ought to contain something interesting.

While local head researcher is doing his job you sneak into his room and wire everything you possible can for Rick'rolling him. As ex-special forces guy you can get fair number of things under control. Then you stand in a corner and wait. Eventually the man comes to eat his lunch and possibly enjoy some cat videos (he got a folder full of them, several gigabytes in fact), but since every file is replaced with Rick Astley he's taken by suprise. Oh that look on his face! You drop the invisibility field and offer him the glass of Kool-Aid (which I presume you meant).

Man doesn't appreciate your sense of humor. He pulls goggles over his eyes, produces a ball from his pocket and ooh shiny... It takes you way too many seconds to take notice the man is fiddling with your suit and has already severed power cables from your particle rifle. When the realization hits you turn on invisibility on again, sluggishly, but as soon as it's on you are back in full control of your mind again. The scientist curses when he's blinded by your field. Sounds like your hint to escape. Both mission goals are reached so no need to dawdle around. You run out of the laboratory complex knocking over people and running straight through main doors.

It's great you can run all night long and very fast, so you make good progress on your way back to where you are supposed to be. Or maybe you'll continue your pranking round...

((This is ridiculously slow. Why?))

50% Nanites to self-replication, 50% to finishing Wormhole, meaning it should be finished today (2 days of building in one day/2, is one extra day of building in addition to my own building, and 2 days needed

Priority 1: Wormhole: Once it's done, spillover production goes to turning Mercury into a solar-powered mass of computronium. Send 10 nanites each to Luna, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune. They are to spend 2 days just replicating then split their capacity 50/50 between replicating and producing computronium after that. Link everything together with some QE Comms
Priority 2: Grand Unified Theory of Everything
Priority 3: Mega-Scale Space Engineering: How to build space mega-projects
Priority 4: Free Energy: Probably something with Zero-Point energy. Break Thermodynamics

I assume the theory on Nuclear Transmutation and Fusion power is done. I don't see why I have to waste my time building actual facilities. Can make then later as needed with nanites.

Yep, Wormhole generator and its required Exotic matter synthetizer are finally fully constructed! Time to conquer universe. Or at least this star system. You know, I was thinking that since wormholes connect two points of space, they shouldn't be moving togeter with the planet, solar system and the whole galaxy, meaning the wormhole entrance and exit would rocket right past you or whole Earth. But guess I won't be a dick here. However pressure differential will be an issue!
Half of nanites produced today are sent to Mercury along with large number of papers and other poorly secured objects when atmosphere leaks into the wormhole together with nanites. While nanites can deal with Mercury day temperatures (>400°C), the QEC box doesn't. So that's why you toss them on colder night side.
Venus proves very opposite problem. 9.2 megapascal pressure ensures QEC box would get crushed instantly even if you were get it there. Even your nanites won't have easy time there. The actual problem is that pressure difference blows into opposite direction. Hurricane level winds of 500°C carbon dioxide bursts out and sets shit on fire, yo! Assistant's haven't lately been around very much so nobody really gets hurt, except few of your remote bodies. So fuck Venus. And fuck those gas giants because they will cause exactly same problem. But Luna and Mars get their portion of nanites. Maybe you should set Luna as your staging ground and send stuff in from high orbit?
So per nanites, Mercury has 1 day workpower, and Earth has 2. Luna and Mars have N/A.

Grand Unified Theory of Everything:
This stuff is hard, but you keep wildy modifying theories until they start look like something very different and more compatible while still fully explaining almost all interactions. There's still one hole that makes no sense whatsoever. Your current theory implies existance of extra universes and 0.1 layers of something around each, which like makes no bloody sense. Extra universes are something you could expect existing, but that 0.1 is just weird.

Mega-Scale Space Engineering? Yeah, have it.

Free energy? Yeah, sure. Not today at least, not with that priority.

Quote from: Egan_BW
No Research

That's two days saved.

Be helpful in any way I can!

Heck, if Doc wants I can replace some of his lab assistants doing nonvital work seeing as I can work much more efficiently than they can. Do all the grunt work for them and stuff. Filing papers, moving stuff, etc. Trying to speed up development.

There's very little you can do to help him with his current research. Best you can do is to practice and wait to see if anything cool happens. But training is boring.

OPERATION: ALL-SEEING EYE

Step Nineteen, cont'd: see if I can print the mind of the EP onto the substrate! It's always helpful to have a psychic bar of metal around. Especially one as helpful as the EP.

Step Twenty-One: that multitasking thing is also probably important, but I only have so many days and honestly the JD is probably a better use of the funding anyway. Get to it if time permits.

Frankly "The Great Journey" isn't named such for no reason. There's word "great" in it after all.

You finish copying the last part of EP's brain and then spend entire day constantly referring your theory of neural systems while constructing 3d model for the printer. Thinking about it, this psychic piece of metal will be small, maybe you can make it a 1cm wide sphere. Working with atomic scale gives you some leeway.

Quote from: HugeNerdAndProudOfIt
No Research

Roll saved.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: SECRET TECHNOLOGIES (click to show/hide)

Do what must be done

De-de-doo. Shooting stuff. Smashing stuff. Who's good super soldier? You are! Good soldier!

I continue reworking the monster maker, getting a bit more creative. Real scales are a good start, and then big claws and sharp teeth. Larger muscles too. Then perhaps some horns scattered across the body unpredictably. And an accelerated metabolism, even after the transformation is complete, for more hunger. I also work on whatever pheromone changes are necessary to make them not attack the monster maker's user. I design a pheromone modification injection that will give someone the pheromone signature they need to be perceived as friendly by the monsters. If I complete this, I test it by putting four test subjects in Chimera's old reinforced cell, injecting one with the pheromone modification and the other three with the monster maker serum (delivered from a distance via dart gun).

I design some basic tests for gun accuracy and mace handling, and give renegadelobster the weapons I ordered from the Company. I instruct him to complete the appropriate test with each weapon and instruct his assistant to record the results.
If this works I should be able to get at least a weight range that he can handle well, and narrow down the weapons he'll be practicing with tomorrow.

I also check on the test subjects who have been given neurotoxin immunity, and if they're showing no side effects I give renegadelobster immunity to the neurotoxin he'll be wielding (the first one, that targets more than the brain) and give myself immunity to both.

Gun accuracy test was part of your original testing route, so that can be handled there. And mace handling isn't much of challenge to make, almost boring. Guns are best handled by lower arms although their power is limited. It gives him proper orientation for aiming. Submachine guns are all light enough so he won't have any problems with those. Heavy machine guns are too heavy for lower arms, but he could employ tripods and use them like they were intented to. Around 10kg is what he's comfortable with. Now upper arms won't have problems even with heavy machine guns, so 40kg maces aren't problem either. Accuracy with guns is good, especially with lower arms, but with upper ones he can't aim (no eyes in suitable locations) or have use the gun upside down with messes up with accuracy.

Neurotoxin inoculation doesn't have any apparent problems, so you give it to your man.

Just imagine how fun it would be to release monster maker virus on large population centers. You keep factoring various ways how it would proceed so long that you don't get anything else done than finishing the cannon design.

Okay. I will attempt to phrase my questions in a less tinkery manner.

I figure this needs a new post in case Aoshima has already copied the action turns in.

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)

Old sigs.
Games.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: September 27, 2016, 03:28:13 pm »

Go in for repairs and to get the stolen stuff made and hooked up us...
ooh why not get that cool flying mobility stuff kade like in that anime where they kill the giant nude men?! We're a robot. A giant robot. That just means it has to be bigger. Like giant nude man sized. You're an idiot. Who knows it's the scientists' job to figure out. Finnneeeee, don't expect anything.

Also your assumption was right.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 06:01:07 pm by spazyak »
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: September 27, 2016, 03:45:24 pm »

Send 10 nanites each to various gas giant moons and dwarf planets. 100% replication for first 2 days then 50/50 replication and computronium
Build a airlock system in the wormhole room. Send 30/30 percent Earth nanites equally between Luna and Mars. Remaining nanites replicate and help fix and upgrade the super-soldier
Luna/Mars Nanites focus 100% on replicating
Mercury Nanites 100% replicate

Fix and upgrade super-soldier with stolen technology, include countermeasures for dazzleball and other basilisk hacks

Priority 1: Grand Unified Theory of Everything
Priority 2: Free Energy (this isn't listed on research in progress?)
Priority 3: All-Condition Technology: Toughen up my QE comms and nanites so they can go all the places. Preferably stars as well for eventual stellar conversion, but that's lower priority
Priority 4: Forcefields: Yay, science-fiction gadget! Maybe I could get it to Culture Effector level? Probably not
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 05:47:12 pm by Demonic Spoon »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: September 27, 2016, 03:59:42 pm »

OPERATION: ALL-SEEING EYE

Step Nineteen, cont'd: sweet! Let's see how many EPs we can print in a day. And whether they're connected to the hive mind! Luckily WHW-ASE lets them do telepathy, so there's several design issues we've circumvented already!

Step Twenty-Two: if I finish at least one sphere, see if it is subject to the same issues with maximum volume that inhibited the fleshy EP! Not needing a physiology to support might be pretty useful in that sense.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: September 27, 2016, 04:16:56 pm »

I'm just getting all the good rolls lately, aren't I. I am beginning to fear some kind of sudden unspecified catastrophic event is about to happen. Not even necessarily in the game.

Spoiler: Activities (click to show/hide)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: September 27, 2016, 04:32:34 pm »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: September 27, 2016, 04:39:31 pm »

Get along well with myself. Practice and stuff.

And yeah I'll be good to murder everything in sight.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 75