Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 75

Author Topic: Roll to create a supersoldier! Bloody air resistance  (Read 139699 times)

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to create a supersoldier! Singularity: Resistance is futile
« Reply #435 on: September 18, 2016, 04:05:19 am »

Brain 1:
  • Quantum brain mass production
  • Request more assistants, so they can work in shifts. Also, more funding if I need it. Point out that our sponsors can now be made into immortal machines once their flesh-bodies start getting old. Or earlier if they want.
  • Mind Editing
Brain 2:
  • Modular autonomous drones
  • Modular design
Brain 3:
  • Build another Meshanblov Brain, and then have fourth build his own remote body
  • Heat Application
  • Nuclear II
Queue Research:
Improved Meshanblov Co-Ordination and Co-Operation: Currently the Meshanblov Collective is more or less working in parallel on different projects, with minimal collaboration with other members. If we can work together better we can more fully take advantage of the multiple forks of the Meshanblov collective. As always, communication is key.
Quantum Entanglement Communication: Speaking of communication. The foolish mundanes believe this impossible. It would give us secure point to point FTL communications that would be unjammable, probably, so figuring this out would work well with the drone army Brain 2 is working on.
Cyber-Security: Getting our brains hacked at this point would be just plain embarrassing
Augmented Reality & Virtual Reality: Providing Hud overlays and false sensory input simulations to a digital brain should be relatively trivial.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 01:52:27 pm by Demonic Spoon »

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: September 18, 2016, 11:04:59 am »

Spoiler: To Dustin Hache (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

HugeNerdAndProudOfIt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: September 18, 2016, 11:25:39 am »

Don't eat ghosts, that's how we got into this mess to begin with.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: September 18, 2016, 12:16:27 pm »

No more half-ass measures. If I lose, I lose anyway. If I win, may as well win well. From now on I'm going full-ass.

Spoiler: Activities (click to show/hide)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: September 18, 2016, 01:25:16 pm »

Spoiler: To Dustin Hache (click to show/hide)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: September 18, 2016, 04:10:07 pm »

12 days until deadline.

Spoiler: action (click to show/hide)

Brain 1:
  • Quantum brain mass production
  • Request more assistants, so they can work in shifts. Also, more funding if I need it. Point out that our sponsors can now be made into immortal machines once their flesh-bodies start getting old. Or earlier if they want.
  • Mind Editing
Brain 2:
  • Modular autonomous drones
  • Modular design
Brain 3:
  • Build another Meshanblov Brain, and then have fourth build his own remote body
  • Heat Application
  • Nuclear II
Queue Research:
Improved Meshanblov Co-Ordination and Co-Operation: Currently the Meshanblov Collective is more or less working in parallel on different projects, with minimal collaboration with other members. If we can work together better we can more fully take advantage of the multiple forks of the Meshanblov collective. As always, communication is key.
Quantum Entanglement Communication: Speaking of communication. The fools believe this impossible. It would give us secure point to point FTL communications that would be unjammable, probably, so figuring this out would work well with the drone army Brain 2 is working on.
Cyber-Security: Getting our brains hacked at this point would be just plain embarrassing
Augmented Reality & Virtual Reality: Providing Hud overlays and false sensory input simulations to a digital brain should be relatively trivial.

Before you go ahead and build fifth member of your collective, I should let you know that every copy of yourself effectively counts as another player. Not a full player because notes are shared between copies, but more like 0.7 players. Don't overload me too much, please.

And just when I'm about to post turn I see you have edited your post after I quoted it. I can't immediately see what's different so I ignore it.

Senior:
Working hard on mass production. It is starting to look like a proper full scale industrial production line. Once you finish last parts it should be able to churn out maybe ten quantum brains per day. Of course assuming building materials are available. They might even be almost affordable for non-billionaires if commercial production starts.

Today's focus on digimind editing is decoding memories. Knowing how to read those is the gateway to writing memories and knowledge, such as languages. Decoding memories from your own brain data is best bet because you know what to expect. First step is to observe activity in your own brain while actively recalling specific important memory, identify areas affected and work from there. Turns out memory is kind of indexed search book. Memory is sequence of lookups to another memories or bits of knowledge. Like memory of that one bastard dismissing your brilliance, it is links to identity, justified anger, reference to language center, point to known location and timestamp. It isn't really that much on first glance, but using those cues mind can fill the blanks and reconstruct the experience vividly. To put it simply, memories are just interconnected mess of links. Looking from that point it shouldn't be hard to construct artificial memories as long as it contains references to valid bits.

Junior:
Strategic QC managing fleet of drones under direction of connected individual is completed quickly enough. Last part is to finish that swappable utility part.

For modular design you already have adaptable construction plans, but now you can actually finish most of the computer interface managing commands to and feedback from connectable part. It should translate any limb movement commands from central brain into something the specific limb variant can use, and likewise translate sensory data from the limb into form the brain can easily understand. Of course the interface have to be configured for each part individually, but that shouldn't take much time. Barely even hour. So the modular framework is done.

The Third:
Yondaime has to play catchup with progress of technology since he last time was awake.

Applications for waste heat unfortunately aren't many. Only war worthy is usage of thermoelectric power generation but with your onboard nuclear reactor any extra won't likely matter enough. It could, however, be used to recharge batteries for those drones Junior is making.

Going for fusion instead of fission would require total and complete reactor redesign. Fission reactor doesn't have anything that fusion generator can realistically use. So first order is to improve effiency, although that means reduced waste heat output which in turns will reduce effiency of any waste heat application you come up with. Now that you are looking the design, you do see few ways to archieve greater effiency.

Yup, armor the brains.

Work with the Terrorizer shielding progresses enough that you could reasonably say this is the thing. Not 5 sigma yet, but close enough. Next step is turning theory into physical material and test it.

Layout for exoskeleton motors and support frames is ready so you can start constructing it tomorrow. Maybe some powersource better than diesel generator in backpack would be good idea.

star2wars3: Currently moving to the site for first two targets and setting up plans for the operation "JUST KIDDING, IT'S A PRANK BRO".

Seeing as the Doc has given me the Executive module thingy now, add the subjects under my control into my multitasking/security monitoring routine. Do as the Doc recommends and have them train however many days they need to, practicing cooperative fighting, accomplishing mock objectives, firing drills, etc. Make sure their life is good, and use them to further extend my multitasking capabilities and security monitoring.

Another brain poking session later you have something growing inside your skull. Following doc's instructions you take the bunch outside and play drill sergeant like you have always wanted to. Training is great fun for everyone, though it may be better say it's fun for both of you because there's only two individual minds present; you and EPA. On late evening you two (including all EPA's twelve bodies) set up a barbeque night, grilling ribs and popping beers.

That's when the change happens. First you don't pay any attention to the fact that you can see with thirteen pairs of eyes, it feels natural and you have already gotten used watching two different things with your personal eyes. When you notice that discussion dies on spot because there's no one to talk with, only you. You who isn't you anymore. You are... well you are still you, but different you. All your experience and knowledge is shared between all your parts as is theirs, but more limited manner. You can recall their names, their personal histories, preferences, their experience here as test subjects, the short time they spend as collective dreaming about running high class restaurant somewhere. You can differentiate between these and your memories. Theirs is like learned knowledge, yours is actual experience.

And oh hey, this one female part has great eyes. She sees so much more green than anyone else! Millions distinct shades more!

In light of recent events, reprioritize momentarily!

OPERATION: ALL-SEEING EYE

Step Six, clarification should still apply: don't install the module yet. Make sure it has the capability of having a sensory buffer: to avoid overwhelming the mastermind with feelings such as pain, death, agony, that sort of thing, incoming sensory data may be given lower priority at the mastermind's discretion so that it's not an unfiltered feed of data at all times. Unproductive and uninteresting (mostly unpleasant) inputs can be pruned entirely, or examined in a more academic sense. New codename: the Executive module.

Step Ten: once module has been designed, put monkboy to use and promote him to Executive Producer (he gets a trailer and $70k a year, plus a kickass chair), complete with the Executive module. Task him with maximizing his underlings' (these would be the LEPAs, now redubbed EPAs once more) quality of life within the confines of the experiment - think of it like a game of the Sims, except without the "sim" part. So a game of For Reals. He is not to let any of them leave the project nor expire, and is informed that their paycheck (which is an actual paycheck, mind you) is contingent on them spending a certain amount of days training. A special bonus: he can have them cook meals for himself as well, and the EPAs can actually leave their captivity for a short while to deliver them, even.

Step Eleven: if I have the time, begin deciphering the functions of TG-B. How does it work? And how can I use it to improve my hivemind modules with hitherto unseen, presumably quite unbreakable telepathic security?

OPERATION: WE HAVE WAYS

Step Two: continue work on WHW-R. I'd comment more, but wouldn't want to spoil the extranature involved, would I?

Step Three: once WHW-R is complete, finish the design of WHW-T to render it entirely compatible. Combine the two to form WHW-X, and test it with the ape test beds, using precise stimulation to teleport small amounts of matter.

LEPA was more a name for the hivemind, much like Borg was and Meshanblov is for their respective collectives. Though such unique being probably doesn't need any better identification because they are easily identified by description alone.

But today reality bends over to let you finish your work. Or perhaps you simply got over your scientist's block. Regardless, the executive module is finished and installed on the monk. Extra rapid growth applied on the module design guarantees he's having very interesting evening today.
Yet again, HR isn't going to give actual money to kidnapped people subjected to human experimentation against their will, no matter how much you ask. They can provide you counterfeint money, plausible looking data and documentation, but no actual money moves. Whatever physical things you want to give them is filed under project expenses.

Final design for WHW-R module is filed to archives. With that done you can squeeze just enough time to make WHW-T's input compatible with WHW-R's output and file it too as finished work.

Spoiler: SECRET TECHNOLOGIES (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: For Ozarck's eyes (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: action (click to show/hide)

Quote from: penguinofhonor
Automatic research

Tarantula regenerates on its full form today. And you spend too much time gawking its perfectly formed body. Way too proud parent. This means that progress with neurotoxin weapon doesn't make any significant process other than finishing an organ design producing the mentioned toxin.

No more half-ass measures. If I lose, I lose anyway. If I win, may as well win well. From now on I'm going full-ass.

Full ass? What?

I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Yottawhat

• Bay Watcher
  • New face, new look.
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: September 18, 2016, 04:17:55 pm »

To a HugeNerdAndProudOfIt from your solider.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 11:17:01 pm by Yottawhat »
(1) You start forward with determination and certainty. You carry this determination with you right into the gaping crater that opens under your feet. You fall into a pit. The sounds of combat above dim, along with the light from the suns. In the quiet below, you hear some other noises instead.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: September 18, 2016, 04:42:18 pm »

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: September 18, 2016, 04:49:45 pm »

Before you go ahead and build fifth member of your collective, I should let you know that every copy of yourself effectively counts as another player. Not a full player because notes are shared between copies, but more like 0.7 players. Don't overload me too much, please.
I completely understand that from the gm perspective, which is why I haven't been doing something like having each brain make another brain per turn for rampant doubling of research capacity. On the other hand, I still feel my research speed is too slow. Could I maybe just have more brains work together with the previous brains on the same projects to increase the research speed? So less projects and actions over all, but they're completed faster?

Or I could just stop building brains. But that's the boring option.

And just when I'm about to post turn I see you have edited your post after I quoted it. I can't immediately see what's different so I ignore it.
Probably just fixed a typo or something.

Request more assistants, so they can work in shifts. Also, more funding if I need it. Point out that our sponsors can now be made into immortal machines once their flesh-bodies start getting old. Or earlier if they want.
This wasn't done? (That was in the action post since when I posted it, wasn't edited in at the last minute or anything)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 05:07:18 pm by Demonic Spoon »

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: September 18, 2016, 04:59:41 pm »

Brain 1:
* Quantum brain mass production
* Mind Editing

Brain 2 & 4:
* Build the fifth Meshanblov Brain. Brain Five will build itself a remote body.
* Modular autonomous drones
* Stealth Systems

Brain 3:
* Nuclear II: Do a short feasibility study to consider if fusion has the potential for better performance. Either way, focus on simply improving the fission. It's fine if less waste heat is produced. That said, research into Heat Application will be suspended until it is determined if it is needed.
* Particle Beam II
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 05:13:50 pm by Demonic Spoon »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: September 18, 2016, 05:12:25 pm »

I transfer a test subject brain into Tarantula, then apply my post-implantation treatment and assign it an assistant. If the new rooms are completed, I transfer it into one of them. Otherwise it can probably be in a normal room for a day or two.

Then I devise tests to determine the combat bodies' physical capabilities: strength, speed, stability, endurance, carrying capacity, dexterity with weapons, hand-to-hand combat ability, and anything else that strikes me as important in a military setting. They should be tested each day, so I am able to compare the combat bodies at the same levels of implantation adaptation, and ideally extrapolate the data to predict the bodies' performance when the brain is fully used to it.
Hopefully I'll be able to use the data to make decisions sooner and get renegadelobster into his body faster.

If I have any time left, I give a test subject IR-sensing organs (probably around the eyes) and the implantation treatment. I provide the assistant with a Bunsen burner and some ceramic balls (or any set of small fire-safe objects I have around the lab), then instruct them to periodically heat up some of the balls out of sight of the subject and test whether the subject can identify the ones that had been heated by IR vision.

I also contact my agent and request some spherical iron magnets and identical-looking iron balls for magnetovision training. The assistant should be able to determine which ones are magnets, then bring them into the room with the subject and test how well they can identify them. That should speed up the process a bit via external validation.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 05:14:48 pm by penguinofhonor »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: September 18, 2016, 07:12:30 pm »

...What's wrong with diesel, after all? Exo can let us carry enough fuel, and the noise that it makes is less important when everyone in a mile radius is clawing their eyes out.
Bah. Look into compact fission reactors that I could fit on there.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: September 19, 2016, 02:59:02 am »

I completely understand that from the gm perspective, which is why I haven't been doing something like having each brain make another brain per turn for rampant doubling of research capacity. On the other hand, I still feel my research speed is too slow. Could I maybe just have more brains work together with the previous brains on the same projects to increase the research speed? So less projects and actions over all, but they're completed faster?

Or I could just stop building brains. But that's the boring option.

Probably just fixed a typo or something.

Request more assistants, so they can work in shifts. Also, more funding if I need it. Point out that our sponsors can now be made into immortal machines once their flesh-bodies start getting old. Or earlier if they want.
This wasn't done? (That was in the action post since when I posted it, wasn't edited in at the last minute or anything)

Putting two brains on same project would make them progress faster. Not twice as fast necessarily, depending on various factors, but definitely faster than one can do alone.

Assume you got your assistants. It's fluff mostly.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: September 19, 2016, 03:08:17 am »

Ooh, excellent!

Report all this to the Doc. If he has any things he wants me to do, do it. Otherwise, spend my time making sure our stuff is secure and training my bodies to be in optimal shape.

Also inquire about the one female. Did he do something to her to enhance her perception of green that much?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: September 19, 2016, 03:22:59 am »

Full-ass as opposed to half-ass. Some may call it "going for broke", or "victory or bust". I call it going full-ass.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 75