Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 75

Author Topic: Roll to create a supersoldier! Bloody air resistance  (Read 139346 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to create a supersoldier! Santa is mad scientist
« Reply #375 on: September 13, 2016, 05:47:20 pm »

Today I monitor progress on the combat bodies as well as the three-armed test subject. If I have progressed enough on magnetoreception to grant it to a subject, I do that. For a human it would probably be useful to have detection in the hands and feet, and maybe at various joints. If magnetoreception needs more work, I get that work done and then give the sense to a test subject.

If I have more time after dealing with magnetoreception, I start theorizing about my implantation adaption tech. Our bodies have some sort of biological process they go through as we become coordinated. Maybe I just have to speed that up, or amplify it. Perhaps nudging more neurons into an adaptable state? If I get a working product and the three-armed subject has healed, I give it to him.

HugeNerdAndProudOfIt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: September 13, 2016, 08:28:11 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Don't eat ghosts, that's how we got into this mess to begin with.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: September 13, 2016, 11:22:52 pm »

How can a field test of a super solider provide any relative measure of its effectiveness if only tested against other super soldiers?  Every scientific experiment requires a control group.

I shall be the control. I shall fight the super soldiers in the final battle as a regular soldier!

With GM permission of course.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: September 13, 2016, 11:40:12 pm »

How can a field test of a super solider provide any relative measure of its effectiveness if only tested against other super soldiers?  Every scientific experiment requires a control group.

I shall be the control. I shall fight the super soldiers in the final battle as a regular soldier!

((I mean, I guess nothing's stopping you, beyond GM approval, but these guys aren't joking around. Pretty sure we've got some people who could annihilate a few blocks' worth of soldiers without so much as breaking a sweat.))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: September 14, 2016, 12:00:14 am »

Butcher some test subjects for brains to create a prototype brain-enhancing system, that could theoretically be carried on a backpack. Shouldn't be too hard to mockup a powered exoskeleton to carry extra brains.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: September 14, 2016, 01:37:06 am »

OPERATION: HOMEGROWN

Current Objective: obtain a model system for module testing that accepts and integrates TG and other modules within a single day and allows for selective synaptic manipulation.

Step Five: utilizing neurotrophins, electrical stimulation in combination with my understanding of nervous system design, formulate a chemical/electric solution to vastly quicken both neuron growth and synaptic pruning, essentially putting a brain on fast-forward developmentally.

Step Six: ensure a steady supply of apes to be converted into adequate comatose test beds.

OPERATION: WE HAVE WAYS

Current Objective: obtain a fully controllable prototype derived from TG-T that permits either teleportation of a selected volume of matter to another selected place or teleportation of a selected volume of matter to unknown extradimensional areas (the first is preferred, but the second also works).

Question of the Day: is it possible to replace the extradimensional communication capabilities of TG by, say, creating a much better-understood analogue of TG-R and successfully hooking it up to TG-T? Experiment with the test beds.

OPERATION: ALL-SEEING EYE

Improved coordination is essentially an improvement in dexterity.

Current Objective: install a successful master module, or MM, into a human subject!

Step Six: continue the design of the module. Make sure that the module's feedback is adjustable as required.

Step Eight: have the Late Executive Producer's Assistants start training in all manner of combat. Raise their wages to 20k per year each (so a doubling), make sure the imprinting's functional in all of them by telling them I'd be very put out if they tried to leave without my permission. If they're well-behaved, allow them to train outside. If they're excellently behaved, provide them with a restaurant space to work in as a team and an additional raise. Turn them into elite sushi chefs and sous chefs par excellence!

Step Nine: check if there have been any effects on personality from this at least week-long period of mind-sharing. Have their personalities perhaps bled into each other's?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 04:21:36 am by Harry Baldman »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: September 14, 2016, 02:01:44 am »

((I mean, I guess nothing's stopping you, beyond GM approval, but these guys aren't joking around. Pretty sure we've got some people who could annihilate a few blocks' worth of soldiers without so much as breaking a sweat.))
((Aside from that I have a suspicion that we'll have a "conventional testing" round where the supersoldiers are put up against conventional armed forces first, before getting thrown into an arena or whatever. I mean it makes sense, in order to be "super" soldiers they have to be better than regular soldiers, and the Company doesn't seem like it values human life all that much, so they could "waste" it on such a thing as preliminary testing or showcases.

And yeah. My prototype is probably the weakest overall, if it is even completed in time for the testing, and I could see even it basically cutting a swath through a significant amount of regular armed forces without metaphorically breaking a sweat. These "soldiers" rate anywhere between "unstoppable murdermachine" to "walking weapon of mass destruction", from what I can tell, and a single conventional soldier would need to apply the UWM combat doctrine in order to even have a chance of surviving.

I.e., "sit in a bunker a few miles away and toss nukes at them".))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: September 14, 2016, 05:14:29 am »

Train reaction time.
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: September 14, 2016, 07:41:30 am »

"Ow my occipital lobe. What year is this?"

The effects of this probability manipulation may be dangerous. If we had time, that research would be incredibly useful. For now, try drawing fractal patterns with my computer-attuned mind to attain focus.

Spoiler: Activities (click to show/hide)

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: September 14, 2016, 09:16:24 am »

((Aside from that I have a suspicion that we'll have a "conventional testing" round where the supersoldiers are put up against conventional armed forces first, before getting thrown into an arena or whatever. I mean it makes sense, in order to be "super" soldiers they have to be better than regular soldiers, and the Company doesn't seem like it values human life all that much, so they could "waste" it on such a thing as preliminary testing or showcases.

And yeah. My prototype is probably the weakest overall, if it is even completed in time for the testing, and I could see even it basically cutting a swath through a significant amount of regular armed forces without metaphorically breaking a sweat. These "soldiers" rate anywhere between "unstoppable murdermachine" to "walking weapon of mass destruction", from what I can tell, and a single conventional soldier would need to apply the UWM combat doctrine in order to even have a chance of surviving.

I.e., "sit in a bunker a few miles away and toss nukes at them".))
Well, the original idea was just to watch myself get squished, but if there is a conventional testing round I would be more than happy to command the plebeian forces. More people to watch get squished.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: September 14, 2016, 09:39:00 am »

((I don't know if i am allowed to join in the game right now.

If i am able to, let me join the game.))
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: September 14, 2016, 02:04:35 pm »

I think we're pretty much in the beginning of the end-game so that seems unlikely.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: September 14, 2016, 02:11:39 pm »

I think we're pretty much in the beginning of the end-game so that seems unlikely.
End game-quest to f*ck ohysics and make monies.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: September 14, 2016, 02:34:05 pm »

End game-quest to f*ck ohysics and make monies.
Weren't we making super-soldiers? I'm starting to think I'm the only one who focused on the "soldier" part, instead of going directly to "weapon of terror and/or mass destruction".

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: September 14, 2016, 03:50:06 pm »

16 days until deadline.

Upload myself, and create a few copies. Make remote bodies as needed to keep up with my genius.
Upload supersoldier guy too so he can get used to this, give him a remote body to play with or whatever.

Commence EMP hardening research, starting with determining how vulnerable a quantum brain would be to EMP. In any case, the brain itself is unlikely to be the only electrical component in the final super soldier, making everything more rugged, in regards to EMP, is not a bad idea

If my super quantum brain-ness leaves any leftover researching, use it on modularity

How did assistants' testing of Meshanite go? Does it live up to the hype?

Queue new research:
Mind Editing: Move beyond merely copying the mind, study and understand it so memories and personalities can be modified, skillsets and languages downloaded, intelligence upgraded. Also stuff like activating battle-mode where unneeded parts of the brain are suspended to boost "bullet time" even higher. Take full advantage of the digital medium

Heat application: Find a use for all that heat from the nuclear reactor. Weaponization and power generation spring to mind but perhaps there are other ingenious potential uses as well.

Nuclear II: We can go further. More efficient, more compact. Perhaps transferring to fusion instead of fission. Maybe even include an off-switch this time

Myomers + Artificial Muscles: If the brain is fast, the body needs to be able keep up. Faster, stronger, tougher.

Advanced Sensors/Senses: Developing super sensors and wiring them into the Quantum brain, using mind editing to ensure they can handle the input effectively.

Particle Beam II: While already devastating, it could stand further refinement

ECM/ECCM Stay at the forefront of this never-ending war

Stealth Systems: Staying hidden. Will we even get this far?

Supermaterial Armouring: While we're writing a wish list. Perhaps using Meshanite as a basis develop an even stronger while still lightweight material.

Forcefields For the sci-fi touch

Yes! The flesh is weak! It's time to upgrade!

You very carefully set up the update process so assistants cannot botch it up. Every single step is written down on paper and accompanied with easy to understand pictures. No failure is permitted. You are after all letting them kill you with technology made by mad scientist so you can be reborn as superiour being based on technology made by mad scientist. The quantum brain your mind will be uploaded is remotely connected to your existing exoskeleton coupled with pair of cameras, microphones and a speaker.

First injection makes you feel tired and soon you fall asleep in gurney. Then, seemingly instantly later, you become aware of considerable lack of senses. You don't feel tempeeature, no weight clothes on you, no sensation of almost unnoticeable wind on your skin, kinesthetic sense is very ineffective. It startles you first how much you can't sense anymore. All the little things one's brain usually filters away, now you are acutely aware that you don't feel them. But you can see very clearly, entire field of vision has equal clarity and it makes you feel very uncomfortable. You briefly consider adding blur effect to help transition, but then figure it's better not to feel any nostalgia to weaknesses of your old flesh. All sounds you hear are bass shifted towards lower frequencies, which makes identifying them harder.

Your head turns slowly around as you move your head to get full view of situation. Entire array of assistants has arrived to watch your ascension. Most of them look curious. Some, particularly those who were responsible of dealing logistics of the ascension, have equal mix of worry and hope on their faces. Talking without lungs, mouth, and tongue is quite different. You tell them operation worked fine, then spend many too long seconds waiting as they slowly tell you that you speak way too fast and high frequency, tune it down please. OK, fine. You try again. Might as well add a filter to the speaker to slow down your speech so you don't have to talk intentionally slow, otherwise you might forget what you were saying halfway through.

Testing the remote body reveals that you have to adjust your movement to your faster perception, it's damn too easy to fall over. That will take some time to take used to. Especially with lack of touch and pressure senses it's too easy to break things too. Gotta do something about those first. Second thing you notice is that this body is most certainly made for combat use, not for dedicated science work. Hands and fingers especially are too bulky to fit on keyboard. Gotta do something about that too. Otherwise everything is fine.

Alright! Time to do actual work! You let assistants perform murder/rebirth operation on your prospective super soldier while you do SCIENCE! EMP hardening. Another good thing about faster thinking speed is that you don't actually need to sleep, so you can work all the night 24/7. Which is good because these quantum brains have suprisingly dangerous weakness for EMP pulses. Anyway, it's early morning when you finish a pretty easy to use protection method. It's basically a spray paint. Spray few layers on things you want to protect, let it dry few hours in between and soon it will be well enough protected. Of course it's better to put something to protect the paint so a wind cannot scrape it off.

Uh, meshanite testing? Did you ever actually set it up?

Butcher some test subjects for brains to create a prototype brain-enhancing system, that could theoretically be carried on a backpack. Shouldn't be too hard to mockup a powered exoskeleton to carry extra brains.

A brain-enhancing system? Using braincases and slave array? And master brain wears the backpack/exoskeleton? Ok. Wonder what I should call that...

Since it is not a combat type all you need is existing blueprints of some some model and branch out from there. The Company happens have few in their posession already so your time is saved. Hmm. Yep, these will do. Electric engines from this, frame from that, sensors and control system will be mix of those. Good. Day goes in the workshop where you build the exoskeleton from scraps and spare parts laying on shelves. The end result is fugly but that's fine, it's a prototype, it doesn't have to be pretty. Tomorrow you'll butcher things.

Current Objective: obtain a model system for module testing that accepts and integrates TG and other modules within a single day and allows for selective synaptic manipulation.

Step Five: utilizing neurotrophins, electrical stimulation in combination with my understanding of nervous system design, formulate a chemical/electric solution to vastly quicken both neuron growth and synaptic pruning, essentially putting a brain on fast-forward developmentally.

Step Six: ensure a steady supply of apes to be converted into adequate comatose test beds.

Current Objective: obtain a fully controllable prototype derived from TG-T that permits either teleportation of a selected volume of matter to another selected place or teleportation of a selected volume of matter to unknown extradimensional areas (the first is preferred, but the second also works).

Question of the Day: is it possible to replace the extradimensional communication capabilities of TG by, say, creating a much better-understood analogue of TG-R and successfully hooking it up to TG-T? Experiment with the test beds.

Improved coordination is essentially an improvement in dexterity.

Current Objective: install a successful master module, or MM, into a human subject!

Step Six: continue the design of the module. Make sure that the module's feedback is adjustable as required.

Step Eight: have the Late Executive Producer's Assistants start training in all manner of combat. Raise their wages to 20k per year each (so a doubling), make sure the imprinting's functional in all of them by telling them I'd be very put out if they tried to leave without my permission. If they're well-behaved, allow them to train outside. If they're excellently behaved, provide them with a restaurant space to work in as a team and an additional raise. Turn them into elite sushi chefs and sous chefs par excellence!

Step Nine: check if there have been any effects on personality from this at least week-long period of mind-sharing. Have their personalities perhaps bled into each other's?

Why you would want apes when you have a plenty of apex primetes already in your disposal? But you ask for apes so apes you shall have. Planet of apes.

This is less about nervous systems and more about old fashioned biology. Basing your work on existing fast grow you carefully think how to make it even better. Hmm, neurotrophin-3 looks potential indeed, but not potential enough. It could be better. It can be made better. BDNF too. New version for both? Or combining both functions for entirely new protein? It could be, it could be...

Answer of the day: It could be done, but frankly it's better to ditch TG-R altogether.

Teleporter module effectively. Why yes, watching enemy from far hill and moving portion of their brain onto moon is perfect assassination technique. Basics is already done, so you can separate TG-T design from whole. Little fiddling here and there to remove TG-R dependancy is essential, but getting mind transmit two coordinates and shapes at once is a bit trickier. Perhaps shape could be precoded? Or letting mind choose from few different precoded sizes to keep some utility?

Master module is finished and installed. Do you want him to be assimilated to Late Executive Producer's Assistants group, be on his own alone, or get him mind buddies? Wait feedback adjustable? What?

You tell sweet lies to LEPA about doubling their wage which seems to make them genuinely happy, even if they haven't seen a single cent of it and never will (because HR doesn't pay salary to kidnapped human test subjects). Forbidding them to leave makes LEPA sad, very sad. Completely resigned for their fate. If it affects negatively on their combat training, it certainly doesn't show. LEPA is learning fast, especially martial arts where it trains against itself for maximum effect. Based on that you grant it permission for outdoors training, though guards will always keep eyes on them.

LEPA's personality? No idea. It's not like you personally knew them beforehard. But from what you can tell and what assistants watching them tell you can say its personality is consistant across all bodies. Have their original personalities merged, did one emerge as winner, or is it something new, you can never know.

Quote from: NAV
Automatic Research

Alright, ATHATH is gelded. I don't know the why, but here we go.

Spoiler: SECRET TECHNOLOGIES (click to show/hide)

Today I monitor progress on the combat bodies as well as the three-armed test subject. If I have progressed enough on magnetoreception to grant it to a subject, I do that. For a human it would probably be useful to have detection in the hands and feet, and maybe at various joints. If magnetoreception needs more work, I get that work done and then give the sense to a test subject.

If I have more time after dealing with magnetoreception, I start theorizing about my implantation adaption tech. Our bodies have some sort of biological process they go through as we become coordinated. Maybe I just have to speed that up, or amplify it. Perhaps nudging more neurons into an adaptable state? If I get a working product and the three-armed subject has healed, I give it to him.

Oh, installing magnetoreception on others is easily done. Just standard virus design for altering few cells (gotta actually introduce magnetite particles before hand into cells), an injection and getting new nerve pathways to grow. Simple. Barely even takes conscious effort nowadays. But the man gets magnetoreception on all his joints.

The primary thing about learning is growing new connections between neurons and the annoying fact that human brain actually only learns from success. The old saying about learning form one's mistakes is a total lie. Well, technically not, but new nerve connections are reinforced by success only. So those are your major obstacles; much faster connection forming, much greater success rewards and breaking failure connections so new ones can form instead.

Rapid connection forming is a nobrainer, your existing fast growth formula can be easily modified and applied here. However the last two problems are what make you stumble for rest of the day. They are not hard, you know it. It's just matter of finding the right idea.

"Ow my occipital lobe. What year is this?"

The effects of this probability manipulation may be dangerous. If we had time, that research would be incredibly useful. For now, try drawing fractal patterns with my computer-attuned mind to attain focus.

Spoiler: Activities (click to show/hide)

"2016? Oh, I still have time."

Mandelbrot should do. Hmm. It's a decent rendition, but the shrine doesn't have enough unscribled space for full fractal.

Ooh! Oh my this is cool.

Stop with the porn and all that, I think it's about reached the limit of its effectiveness. Instead ... I dunno, play a bunch of chess against a computer if the Doc doesn't have anything else for me to do, see how good I get.

Chess is merely ability to calculate possible solutions. Very mathematical. That's not the kind of ability you need. Go is much better option, especially against humans on internet. Requires tactical thinking and seeing lines developing in where they aren't yet. Turns out you learn fast.

I have been thinking about that. I'll probably change test order to urban, jungle, winter and add some extra elements there. Being single soldier against these occasionally magical weapons of mass destruction is probably like being an ant in front of tank. How would you feel about being in charge of a company? Artillery squad, snipers, ninjas commando squad, and regular riflemen? Just asking, no promises.

Train reaction time.

The thing about being a soldier good enough to be permitted volunteer for super secret super soldier project means you are already pretty high body stats. And with reaction time it means faster you become, slower you advance. Diminishing returns and all that jazz. Meaning to say no progress here. Good sweat tho.

I have eight active scientists and I'm not letting ninth scientist in. Every scientist also has a volunteering super soldier already, but in about two weeks we'll have a name call and then we see how many there are left. There may or may not be openings by then, so stay tuned.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 75