Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 75

Author Topic: Roll to create a supersoldier! Bloody air resistance  (Read 139096 times)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to create a supersoldier! Crimes against everything
« Reply #270 on: September 03, 2016, 01:42:13 pm »

27 days until deadline

Quote from: Demonic Spoon
Automated Research

Perhaps Doctor Ocean's sins are reflected on you because you don't make any progress with neutron shielding. So you flip a scientificly correct bird on that project for today and focus on quantum computing. With fury of ten angry ferrets you complete quantum computer project. In theory it can fully simulate a digitalized human brain. And, again in theory, it should do it even faster than organic brain so people with fast reaction times, such as well trained martial artists, will have even faster reaction times. They very literally will see world in slow motion, assuming you give them access to any cameras and microphones. Perhaps a speaker too so you can chat with them.

Eh, testing tomorrow!

train reaction time/evasion while multitasking on the drones by controlling drones to dodge machine guns that home in on said drones.

You keep training like a proper soldier who will soon be sacrificed in satanic ritual to ward lab against supernatural forces. Maybe you should kick your scientist man on ass and tell him supernatural stuff doesn't exist? He's supposed to be a proper scientist! Not a bloody amateur occultist! It's all superstition, for less civilized people who still believe in forest spirits and shit. Bloody hell!

Continue previous project.

Hmm. Well. You could probably throw all this stuff through pattern recognition to see if there's a mathematically solid pattern anywhere. Because universe and everything within can be described with math. Fractals are pretty common, clouds and many plants follow those. So if a pattern of any kind is detected you could say you may have something in your hands. Not necessarily anything real, mind you. Humans tend to project patterns wherever they go, so any patterns you find also may be simply made up.

You are complete amateur here. No way knowing how long this will take. Lab assistants are no help here.

Removing functions isn't that much of a problem. We're making a study of the effects, after all. Make several groups of mice with varying designs in place, and see what happens to each one before they expire or need to be horribly killed.

Hivemind people - see how they respond to externally imposed tasks. Are they more or less suggestible than common test subjects? How do they rate on problem solving tests of varying kinds compared to regular people.

Any changes to the design also may completely ruin its function. Probably. Regardless you construct three modules more and make very minor alterations within safety limits. And naturally install them. For the record, the first mouse has notably increased appetite.

Hiveminded respond very much like any of your test subjects: reluctantly, until threats of pain are brought up. As for their performance, they perform exceptionally well as long as only one of them is doing the test. More of them are doing different tasks, less effective they become until to point when everyone is doing different test. At that point each performs less effectively than avarage person. You also notice a drop in data traffic. Your hypothesis is that they can combine their brain power for problem solving, but when everyone has complex task to do their erased individuality causes effect similar to multitasking on regular folks, ie. can't do anything well.

Bigger the group, bigger the effect, although the effect doesn't seem to be linear nor expotential. For the record, you have groups of 10, 20 and 30 people. Difference between 20 person and 30 person groups are nominal.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: SECRET TECHNOLOGIES (click to show/hide)

Oh. Huh. Time to relearn all of that stuff then. I did it once before, I'll just have to do it again. And quicker too.

Yep, better be fast about it. Doctor Ivana is cackling in manner that implies some changes are about to happen. She's really having fun with her "bring the thunder" device.

* Ivana cracks her knuckles.

Okay, now I've got no pressing issues to keep me away from my art. Assuming I have those samples of growth disorders I asked for, I begin to compare them to my own work on fleshcraft looking for ways to improve it. Most disorders I know of are far too slow for my purposes, but I'm hoping there's something to be learned from the mechanisms and cellular changes behind them. Proteus syndrome seems like a fine place to start, if I have some on hand, or perhaps I should look at teratomas for their fascinating ability to create new bits in a more organized way than most growths.

Yeah, you got your samples. And they really do help your research. They bring the missing key parts onto table. Teratomas in particular, as you suspected they would. Your hypothesis unfolds into brilliant theory! It proves without uncertain terms how simple organic flesh is, how great it can become, and how easy it is to manipulate. It unravels secrets of DNA, makes it possible to design new organs and even entirely new life forms! The secret of life! The secret turns out to be rather bland: "Test 678-12".

Implications aside your theory of fleshcraft is completed. And to prove it right away you offhandedly design new bacteria for explit purpose of building series of neurons and their axons in a host organism. Encoded for specific organism and purpose of building neurons for fullrange arm control. Untested of course. But you don't need to test it, you know it is right!

Half-seriously inquire of the security staff whether any of them would like taking the place of my volunteer. Promise lack of inhumane training - they have most of the skills I need already anyway, and seem much better suited to being a super-soldier than the stumpy lazy-assburger who can be stopped from training by having his legs chopped off current volunteer of mine.

Spoiler: Activities (click to show/hide)

They all respectfully decline the offer. Their work contract is to simply secure pointed facilities against infiltration, sabotage, theft and terrorism while keeping facility employees healthy. And they like being normal humans. Maybe some other day. Thanks for the offer anyway.

I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: September 03, 2016, 02:00:13 pm »

I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: September 03, 2016, 02:23:53 pm »

Ah. Their loss. Though I totally understand the sentiment, the human form is so cliche nowadays. Not every day are you given the option of being a part of something... better.

Uphold my image of being a slightly mad scientist until no longer in view, brush up hair and straighten my coat's collar as soon as I turn a corner, and quietly slink off to continue my work.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: September 03, 2016, 02:45:46 pm »

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 03, 2016, 03:37:31 pm »

Keep working on how to be a functional human being again. Aaaand maybe hope the good doktor is willing to try out her new fleshcrafting on me. That way I don't have to relearn all that stuff. And so I can actually do things again.
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 03, 2016, 03:45:35 pm »

Observe the mice and take notes of any interesting manifestations.

Meanwhile, work out a module to insert into brains that simulates pleasure (and possibly happiness as well). My understanding of the nervous system should make this a simple matter. We are at a point where incentivizing certain outcomes becomes very much required.

On top of this, design a killswitch that obliterates the brain stem as an emergency measure.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 03:47:57 pm by Harry Baldman »

HugeNerdAndProudOfIt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 03, 2016, 08:16:03 pm »

Don't eat ghosts, that's how we got into this mess to begin with.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 03, 2016, 10:17:52 pm »

Keep on. I don't give a damn.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 03, 2016, 10:29:20 pm »

Bahahaha, beautiful. Now the real work begins.

I begin creating different body layouts to test for improved combat abilities. More arms and legs, obviously, and probably a larger torso to handle that. For now I keep the parts human-looking (if not their arrangement) and vary their number and layout for different results. Obviously it will take a bit for the test subjects to get used to their new bodies, but the sooner I get them pieced together, the sooner I get useful data.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 03, 2016, 10:41:00 pm »

Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: September 04, 2016, 01:56:16 am »

Begin testing the quantum brain conversion on some test subjects.

Continue working on Nuclear Reactor
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 09:04:04 am by Demonic Spoon »

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: September 04, 2016, 03:02:30 pm »

26 days until deadline

Begin testing the quantum brain conversion on some test subjects.

Continue working on Nuclear Reactor

The moment of truth! Digitalized brain copy is loaded on quantum computer's mass storage, pair of cameras are attached as well as pair of microphones and a speaker. For now you omit all other extra devices until you can be sure it works perfectly. Boot up! First sounds from the speaker are very weird, they do not resemble human voice at all. However as time passes it start sound more coherent and understandable, albeit high pitched and fast. You halt simulation and add a simple buffer and signal modifier to slow it down to normal level.

With that simple modification you can now finally talk with it. The subject appears to be fully conscious, but troubled by his new situation. Emotion wise he's... lacking. Emotions being largely modified by hormones, which your system doesn't simulate at the moment. Well, you could say that's good thing; soldier shouldn't be troubled by his emotions. The subject describes everything being in slow motion, which is expected and again good for a soldier, though its apparently harder to focus on discussion because it drags on so long.

All in all, you think it works nicely. You leave the system running for now.

Day continues pleasantly because you finally manage to construct neutron shielding for the reactor and get if fully assembled. Now, will it blow up on your face and burn you into ashes is different matter altogether. Basic systems check finds no failures.

Keep on. I don't give a damn.

Your analysis results a zip. Nada. Null. Void. Nothing. In light of this you review your original analysis about the terrorizer to see if you missed some clue. And you find nothing. Perhaps, you think yourself, perhaps you were a bit unscientific there. Just because you can't find what's wrong doesn't mean there's extranatural sapience operating against you. If anything, you may have stumbled upon natural phenomenon that have not been witnessed or documented yet. It could be that the magnetic field generator has some microscopic flaws that somehow cause extensive effect, perhaps result of mistake in production. You probably need to take it apart down on molecular level to find it, and if there's nothing... maybe something in the old lab resonated?

You don't get any further in your analysis before you are interrupted. The brain surgeon has arrived in separate location and is preparing for a surgery nobody has told him anything about. About time! You gather all equipment needed for surgery, some that surgeon probably have never seen before, and get transported into unassuming building at edge of the city. There you go through the procedure few times with the surgeon, even draw him a bunch of diagrams and instructions so he won't fuck up something this simple. Before anesthetics kick you unconscious, you make sure the surgeon knows your life is more important than his. No pressure dude, and don't fuck up.

Good night.

Observe the mice and take notes of any interesting manifestations.

Meanwhile, work out a module to insert into brains that simulates pleasure (and possibly happiness as well). My understanding of the nervous system should make this a simple matter. We are at a point where incentivizing certain outcomes becomes very much required.

On top of this, design a killswitch that obliterates the brain stem as an emergency measure.

So far nothing special about the mice other than increased appetite which is understandable. Little buggers are doubling their brain size, so they are going to need a lot more nutrients to support its growth. Otherwise they are totally fine in their personal microwave oven.

A module to reward person for doing something... You think this is better, for now, to be triggered by audible praise from recognized entity. Which means little tendrils around the brain to trigger intrinsic rewards. Perhaps tie recognized enitity to any authorative figure wearing a labcoat? Or perhaps you could simply tie it to simply obeying orders? Though that would make recipients happily obey just about anyone, even each other. Perhaps both? Artificial stockholm syndrome?

As for brain killswitch you believe this is best archieved by more traditional device, a spring loaded shredder blades triggered by encoded radio signal. And maybe high voltage electric discharge as well. Perhaps even small explosive, timed to go off a bit later? Sure, why not? Let's blow up their heads. The device is very easily done. It shouldn't interfere with normal brain operations until activated.

Keep working on how to be a functional human being again. Aaaand maybe hope the good doktor is willing to try out her new fleshcrafting on me. That way I don't have to relearn all that stuff. And so I can actually do things again.

I haven't seen or heard anyone relearn such basic tasks under a month. Definitely gonna need help of your doc. Actually, it may not be necessary at all. It seems you are soon getting very different type of body, in which case you need start all over again. But yeah, she's in deep in the madness place. Get ready to say farewell for your humanity.

Bahahaha, beautiful. Now the real work begins.

I begin creating different body layouts to test for improved combat abilities. More arms and legs, obviously, and probably a larger torso to handle that. For now I keep the parts human-looking (if not their arrangement) and vary their number and layout for different results. Obviously it will take a bit for the test subjects to get used to their new bodies, but the sooner I get them pieced together, the sooner I get useful data.

By the way, I renamed your tech for something more sciencey. More in line with earlier naming convention.

One thing is certain: these combat bodies will be large. Which puts requirements for more effective oxygen intake, nutrient intake and transfer and most of all, they need to grow really fast. Fast growth thing you already have, it is easy to adopt for natural growth phase. Oxygen can be taken through skin, but large, more effective lungs with oneway air flow are better. Meaning air flows in from one orifice and exists from another. Perhaps three or more lungs working in different phases like combustion engine? Gastric system needs large improvements for effiency and speed. Normal human system is very wasteful and heavily reliant on symbiotic bacterias. Two faults that need fixing. Hormones are another thing. Epinephrine makes a great difference in human combat performance, so getting rid of it entirely and making its effects to alpha and beta receptors permanent feature may be a good idea. And many others. And muscle density! And bone strength! All those are solvable, not really even difficult ones with the theory and Mistress of Medicine guiding your hand.

Ah, but the actual body layout. Yes. Speed, endurance, stability. If you want to use weapons, then more equine-like layout is needed. This gives stability needed to shoot precicely without having to stop. Endurance, well humans already excel in that. Not a problem. Speedwise fastest mammals are felines and some antelopes, which means you have to deviate from human base. Probably at cost of endurance.

You are getting there. Fast.

Ah. Their loss. Though I totally understand the sentiment, the human form is so cliche nowadays. Not every day are you given the option of being a part of something... better.

Uphold my image of being a slightly mad scientist until no longer in view, brush up hair and straighten my coat's collar as soon as I turn a corner, and quietly slink off to continue my work.

Back to work like you should.

I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: September 04, 2016, 03:09:48 pm »

Aha! This ties back into critical periods. Orders from a recognized entity, which for the purposes of the experiment we'll call the Father-Thing, have satisfaction and happiness tied to their execution. Much like less sophisticated mammals imprint on mothers, so we can have our subjects imprint on the Father-Thing, which in this case will be myself. This imprinting should be possible to undo with a controlled influx of a certain cocktail of critical period reactivators, at which point they can be reimprinted on some other Father-Thing.

Continue observing the mice as well, just as a reminder.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: September 04, 2016, 03:26:29 pm »

By the way, under what conditions you'll turn on microwave ovens?
Old sigs.
Games.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: September 04, 2016, 03:31:57 pm »

By the way, under what conditions you'll turn on microwave ovens?

Basically when it seems like the mice are about to do harm to their surroundings. Keep a lab assistant in there with (fake and nonfunctional, but convincing-looking) keys to the microwaves. If her brain starts boiling or she reports murine horrors attacking her very soul (note: imply beforehand that she is likely to see afterimages of howling, gathering dogs in the corner of her vision, so that if she reports that we can check for mere paranoia vs. actual fuckery).

Put a camera in there as well, and keep the place under remote observation.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 75