Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 75

Author Topic: Roll to create a supersoldier! Bloody air resistance  (Read 139203 times)

Yottawhat

• Bay Watcher
  • New face, new look.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to create a supersoldier!
« Reply #90 on: August 19, 2016, 06:59:20 pm »

How much can a supersolider do exactly? Can we also research topics as well?
(1) You start forward with determination and certainty. You carry this determination with you right into the gaping crater that opens under your feet. You fall into a pit. The sounds of combat above dim, along with the light from the suns. In the quiet below, you hear some other noises instead.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 19, 2016, 07:25:40 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 19, 2016, 07:59:00 pm »

Okay, so limb control seems to be the next thing I need to study. I attempt to replace a subject's limb with an animal limb so that the human can control it. With whatever I learn from this, I start thinking about the creation of new nerve pathways that limbs could be attached to.

((Also... what do we do with our soldiers? I would feel bad maiming another player in unsuccessful early experiments.))

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 20, 2016, 12:30:29 am »

All of them blind fools who would dare impede my genius

Work on securing my lab and notes

Continue working on Artificial Muscles and Quantum Brain
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 12:34:59 am by Demonic Spoon »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 20, 2016, 08:30:34 am »

The shotgun approach paid off! Even if the results are slightly unusual, they are quite spectacular. Get the horde of assistants and the Company liaison on figuring out how to even fit enough necessary machinery for initial production of the myomer in our labs, and start polishing off the remainder of the first stage.

Spoiler: Activities (click to show/hide)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 20, 2016, 10:45:12 am »

Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 20, 2016, 12:47:11 pm »

Day 6

All of them blind fools who would dare impede my genius

Work on securing my lab and notes

Continue working on Artificial Muscles and Quantum Brain

Triple identification systems are installed on every door and computer. Randomized 64 character long passwords entered on a fingerprint scanner, all documents encrypted twice over and strict permissions about who's permitted where. You consider installing turrets to shoot anyone who fails to enter correct password or tries to get access somewhere they have no business to be, but the agent speaks you out of it. For now.

Installing security measures takes good portion of your time, leaving very little for other projects. You get all components manufactured for cell builder but decide to leave assembly for tomorrow.

Brain mapping is finished and you are certain your data is untampered. Next part is getting brain copied on quantum computer and simulating it. This you archieve by triggering hibernation response in test subject which greatly drops their body temperature, metabolism, and brain activity. Developing correct drug for the purpose is process of trial and error which kills quite few test subjects before goal is reached. Last part of preparation is to flash freeze hibernating subjects to extremely low temperatures where their brain can be safely scanned layer by layer and digitalized, though you do the whole freezing part tomorrow. It's not like your test subjects will die very soon.

Continue working upon improved learning. Being intelligent is a gift that keeps on giving!

And study this lethargy business. Is it an inhibition issue? Those GABA-ergic neurons are such a bugger sometimes.

You opt to pick new group of people for testing improved learning because every single one you assigned for that study are showing self-destructive apathy and complete lack of appetite. This is most boring kind of science. You have your group study some random branch of low level science for hour and then do a paper test to see how they perform. After that you inject them with your experimental medicine, wait for it to take effect while having them perform simple tasks, and finally make them do study random stuff for hour and test again. Compared to a control group your modified test subjects show highly increased memorization, but their ability to creatively use studied material doesn't seem particularly impressive. You declare this study as a success.

Lethargy business has gone far worse since yesterday, especially those who weren't subjected to improved group dynamics. They aren't braindead but they certainly act like so. Laying like corpses where they happen to be, relieving themselves straight into their pants and so on. Those with bond brothers and sisters show some decency, if only because of tear eyed begging and encouraging from their fellow subjects. You put them all through MRI and various other brain scanning methods you have developed thanks to your magnificent, borderline magical theory of brain.

Your studies reveal large number of subtle and unauthorized changes in their brains. You can clearly point reason being your experimentatal drugs, but can't discern which one in particular is the problem. Is may be the one improving coordination or improving reaction times, or it may even be near simultaneous use of both. It's hard to tell. It is easy to test however. You take 9 new test subjects and put divide them in three groups. One gets coordination treatment, second reaction time treatment, and third gets both. Results should be visible by tomorrow night.

By the way, it appears you have nothing in research buffer at the moment.

Quote from: HugeNerdAndProudOfIt
Research

Spoiler: SECRET TECHNOLOGIES (click to show/hide)

Okay, so limb control seems to be the next thing I need to study. I attempt to replace a subject's limb with an animal limb so that the human can control it. With whatever I learn from this, I start thinking about the creation of new nerve pathways that limbs could be attached to.

((Also... what do we do with our soldiers? I would feel bad maiming another player in unsuccessful early experiments.))

It would be bad idea to kill or maim your soldier before you have anything that can be used on them relatively safely. Generally I would say wait until there's two weeks left to deadline and then start maiming them into a super soldier with your best and most reliable techs. Of course if you have something safe and useable it makes sense to save time and use it. For example if you have made new weapon that soldiers needs to get used to, then you might as well put him on shooting range with it. Assuming it is manportable weapon.

Culmination of your work is removing both arms of test subject and replacing them with gorilla arms. No tissue rejection happens during observation period, and subject seems to react pain and other tactile sensations properly. You smile and nod at his complaints and keep making notes. He's restrained so he won't tear fragile stitches, but electrodes register nerve impulses on muscles and he seems to be clenching his new fists in appropriately aggravated manner. Only if you had finished that faster cancer based healing you could remove those restraints and make him do agility and strength tests, but for now you declare this technology as success. Maybe you should do that next? Then you could properly test implementation of functional extra limbs...

The shotgun approach paid off! Even if the results are slightly unusual, they are quite spectacular. Get the horde of assistants and the Company liaison on figuring out how to even fit enough necessary machinery for initial production of the myomer in our labs, and start polishing off the remainder of the first stage.

Spoiler: Activities (click to show/hide)

I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 20, 2016, 12:59:19 pm »

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 20, 2016, 01:39:01 pm »

Hah! Let's see someone try to mess with my notes now !

Try to complete the Artificial Muscles and Quantum Brain projects. It's so close I can almost taste it.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 20, 2016, 01:46:45 pm »

Well, let's offset that depression by researching how to create a nirvana state. See if by chemical manipulation it would be possible to untether people from their individual identities and create a group identity of sorts - movement toward an ideal collective of soldiers.

While that's happening, work on the drug cocktails. Exclude a component from the cocktail in several trials (not necessarily a psychoactive component either, other additives are also subject to study) and figure out what each one does and what side effects it has in more detail.

Broaden the array of test subjects while I'm at it. About 50 extra should do it, no?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 20, 2016, 03:56:58 pm »

Rapid healing sounds like a useful research tool. I focus my efforts on finishing my healing tech. If I complete it, I then use it on the gorilla-arm subject to further investigate my results there. If I still have time at the end of the day, I start thinking about the creation of new nerve pathways for limbs.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 20, 2016, 11:51:33 pm »

Day 6
Don't worry too much about describing them :P a little abstraction is a good thing, right?

Spoiler: actions (click to show/hide)

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 21, 2016, 01:02:58 am »

Umm...help penguinofhonor. Don't become a test subject yet, that's for later in the crunch time. Definitely help with the healing tech. Maybe speculate(with my pitiful brain power compared to his) about Wolverine like applications. Or even Deadpool like.
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 21, 2016, 01:11:51 pm »

How much can a supersolider do exactly? Can we also research topics as well?

I don't know why I ignored you even when I formulated answer. Super soldier candidate can't really do much before scientist finishes turning you into whatever horrific monster they are planning. I suppose you could give your operator tactically sound opinions about their plans. But soldiers' true job starts when scientists' end, that's when September gives way for October. And as a soldier your task is to do what soldier does best: kill other soldiers. I suppose they are pretty good at killing civilians too, but that doesn't net you any bonus points. Not that I will stop you from trying.

Day 7

Hah! Let's see someone try to mess with my notes now !

Try to complete the Artificial Muscles and Quantum Brain projects. It's so close I can almost taste it.

Cell fabricator is finished after considerable effort. You also managed to solve a fatal flaw that had somehow creeped into programming. Guess saboteurs managed to stick their fingers everywhere. Cells it fabricates appear to be exactly as specs state them to be. As expected from you, nothing less than perfection! Last part is to feed these cells to 3d printer which should be easy to do. After all even lesser scientists and engineers have managed to build such thing.

Flash freezing hibernating subjects is easy enough, so you create small stock of frozen corpses for brain scraping experiments.

Well, let's offset that depression by researching how to create a nirvana state. See if by chemical manipulation it would be possible to untether people from their individual identities and create a group identity of sorts - movement toward an ideal collective of soldiers.

While that's happening, work on the drug cocktails. Exclude a component from the cocktail in several trials (not necessarily a psychoactive component either, other additives are also subject to study) and figure out what each one does and what side effects it has in more detail.

Broaden the array of test subjects while I'm at it. About 50 extra should do it, no?

Why do you keep rolling sixes? At this rate you may have a ghostship by end of this.

I'm taking that as singular research. Well, happy group identity is basically extension of group bonds you have made. They are already less about themselves and more about others so all you need to do is to take that on next level and completely erase "self" from them. It can be archieved via intensive long term brainwashing, but that process makes subjects stick on their victim cards and it is generally hard to make them accept the state on permanent manner. In addition adding new parts to the whole is effectively repeating the process and these test subjects of yours don't really want to be here.

So how about making a literal hive mind? You faintly recall someone using computer chips to connect brains of two rats (or was it frogs?) on barely functional level. A primitive technology, sure, but you can use it. And make it better. Or invent another way. Anyway, you theory of brain had some really interesting and reality defying implications, so you guess now's the time to put that theory on test.

You start working with modeling pattern neurons must connect to others, repeatedly consulting your theory for connections and calculations, and slowly but certainly make headway. By evening you have filled most of your lab with a wireframe model that you have to move onto computer because there's no room left for expansion and you aren't even halfway done. You are fairly certain that mere hormone and drug cocktail won't be enough to implement this one.

Now this drug cocktail business, what it is about? Which cocktail specifically?

The group of nine test subjects doesn't yet show any signs of apathy, though you didn't really expect them either. Tomorrow is probably going to tell truth.

If it is above mentioned group you want to increase, then sure, though not necessary for discovering where fault lies.

Quote from: HugeNerdAndProudOfIt
Research

Spoiler: Progress (click to show/hide)

Quote from: NAV
Research

Spoiler: Progress, or lack of (click to show/hide)

Day 6
Don't worry too much about describing them :P a little abstraction is a good thing, right?

Spoiler: actions (click to show/hide)

Right. I'm merely your window into another world inside my head and I can only describe so much what I see there, because I don't understand even a fraction of it.

Spoiler: Progress (click to show/hide)

Rapid healing sounds like a useful research tool. I focus my efforts on finishing my healing tech. If I complete it, I then use it on the gorilla-arm subject to further investigate my results there. If I still have time at the end of the day, I start thinking about the creation of new nerve pathways for limbs.

You have data about your hyper cancer, so you already have means of localized activation cell regrowth. The problem is bringing it under control and producing functional cells, effectively rebuilding what was lost. Or in your special case, rebuilding, strengthening and merging.

Healing aside, rebuilding body seems something rather fun. Better yet, rewriting DNA on fly and forcing the body rapidly rebuilding itself entirely to match new designation. Your brain gives birth to yet another crime against nature: Artillery launched biological weapon that spreads short lived custom made virus on enemy encampment and over next few days transforms them all into berserking cannibalistic monsters before finally making them melt into a puddle. You cackle on the idea and get into work.

Umm...help penguinofhonor. Don't become a test subject yet, that's for later in the crunch time. Definitely help with the healing tech. Maybe speculate(with my pitiful brain power compared to his) about Wolverine like applications. Or even Deadpool like.

Your speculation is as follows: THAT'S FREAKING AWESOME!

Though her latest idea worries you a little.

Quote from: Sean Mirrsen
Research

« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 01:17:57 pm by AoshimaMichio »
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to create a supersoldier! War crime factory
« Reply #104 on: August 21, 2016, 02:11:57 pm »

...scoot slightly farther away from penguin.
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 75