Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 75

Author Topic: Roll to create a supersoldier! Bloody air resistance  (Read 139133 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to create a supersoldier!
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2016, 11:52:46 am »

Hmm. Surely A genius like me can come up with some assassination method on the cheap. Let's see... Poison maybe? Could make some potent stuff with just simple chemistry. Or maybe I could donate a rattlesnake as a test subject? Hmm.

Steal Hugenerd's funding while he's gone!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 02:01:33 pm by Egan_BW »

HugeNerdAndProudOfIt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2016, 01:55:49 pm »

i am going to be unable to access the computer for a week of so, my default actions are
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Don't eat ghosts, that's how we got into this mess to begin with.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2016, 02:04:51 pm »

Continue to get scienced upon by mister devilspoon man
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2016, 02:30:49 pm »

Continue with the research on myomers.

The volunteer, such as he is, will not really be needed for most of the research process. However it would do good to prepare him for the upcoming procedures. Have the volunteer put through the most intense, most inhumane hand-to-hand and general melee combat training regime, without teaching him any particular style of martial art exclusively. These skills should come in handy for the later phases of the project, as well as general bodyguard duty - just in case someone tries to, say, assassinate me.

Call up the Company's acquisitions representative, and casually ask him how large a supercomputer could I have available for my exclusive use. If he asks how large would it have to be, say "About the size of Greece would be splendid.".

(really though, just as large and powerful as they can provide)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2016, 03:54:11 pm »

Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2016, 04:14:54 pm »

Do not sleep until I finish this blasted machine.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2016, 05:19:54 pm »

Can I become a test subject?

Whoever claims me gets to know what is in this spoiler:
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2016, 05:33:22 pm »

PTW
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2016, 05:38:19 pm »

Is it still possible to join?

If so, join as Aroldo Sisto. And... Something.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2016, 06:39:44 pm »

"Philosophy has generated much discussion on the manifold complex matters of knowledge, feeling, learning, meaning and indeed the very soul - if only Kant could have been there to see us uncover one horrible truth after another, the very substrate of their musings laid bare in brutal simplicity."

Head Researcher Curious George, Knuckle Deep In The Mind, A Memoir

Take 30 of the test subjects and work out designs for their nervous systems. Three groups:
  • 10 are designed to maximize coordination, reaction times and learning ability for physical and mental skills.
  • 10 are designed to facilitate a training period in which they quickly and rapidly form bonds of extreme loyalty, empathy and thus extreme capacity for cooperation, preferably inducible through a designer cocktail of neurochemicals.
  • 10 are designed to have both parameters.

Request more test subjects. If questions are asked, produce evidence of momentous research results.

Check how much these alterations cost. Reasonable or wildly expensive at the moment?

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2016, 06:59:00 pm »

Sean, I accidentally read part of the first sentence of your "Note to GM" spoiler on the first page. I don't know what the noun in that sentence meant, though, so I think it's fine.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2016, 10:05:04 pm »

Research is full of interesting turns. Let's see where this goes.

I continue studying the cancer virus, focusing on any potential battle use, such as quick organ damage or disruption. This may require making the virus more aggressive.

If I have time after that, I experiment merging patients with fast-growing cancers together.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2016, 07:45:50 am »

((this definitely seems like a labor intensive game for the gm. I will be grudgingly willing to drop out for the sake of compactness of game, if that helps Aoshimichio make it a better game for the remaining participants.))

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2016, 02:34:46 pm »

((this definitely seems like a labor intensive game for the gm. I will be grudgingly willing to drop out for the sake of compactness of game, if that helps Aoshimichio make it a better game for the remaining participants.))

Oh come on now. I said I can handle eight players. Certainly it is undeniably intensive, and that's exactly the reason I put absolute timelimit of 31st September so I won't burn myself out in this. I have learned enough about my capacities and limits to know I need such short deadlines. In all likelihood this is how I'm going to conduct all my games in future; short with definite and reachable goals. Now let's see, this is...

Day 3

Continue to get scienced upon by mister devilspoon man

No science shall be inflicted upon you before Spoon from Hell has something "safe".

"Mmm, a quantum computing cybernetic brains seems the obviously superior choice", Meshanblov muses over another mug of coffee, "Still a lot of untapped potential in that field". He scribbles a note to work on some emp hardening once the fundamentals of the new supersoldier were done.

Meshablov works on the exoskeleton, artificial muscles and quantum cyberbrain

Framework for exoskeleton is finished. It's a barebones, armor is seriously lacking, but at least it's done. Hollow, shaped tubes of chitin-derived material for limbs and matching hollow barrel of chest to contain important systems. It won't win beauty pageants, but perhaps some fugly pageants. Function before form. Naturally it can be adapted to various forms, but you almost ashamed to look at it. It needs pretty armor platings quickly. Half of the day is spent with lab assistants carving polyurethane placeholder armorplating for it. Actually it might be better to completely rebuild it for field testing, gonna be faster now that you have mechanisms and knowledge to reproduce it.

Next on line is the mobility to make it move. Something imitating organic musculature, but superiour by all means. You remember having a good idea how to do this, but now that it is time work with it, you can't recall what it was. Something good, very good. Losing a brilliant lead is not something you want to admit, so you spend too much time trying to remember. Ultimately you have to give up chasing the fleeting dream and actually work on something, as not to waste the day. You scetch up a simple idea using something similar to sinew to connect the exoskeleton and whatever you end up using as a muscle.

"Philosophy has generated much discussion on the manifold complex matters of knowledge, feeling, learning, meaning and indeed the very soul - if only Kant could have been there to see us uncover one horrible truth after another, the very substrate of their musings laid bare in brutal simplicity."

Head Researcher Curious George, Knuckle Deep In The Mind, A Memoir

Take 30 of the test subjects and work out designs for their nervous systems. Three groups:
  • 10 are designed to maximize coordination, reaction times and learning ability for physical and mental skills.
  • 10 are designed to facilitate a training period in which they quickly and rapidly form bonds of extreme loyalty, empathy and thus extreme capacity for cooperation, preferably inducible through a designer cocktail of neurochemicals.
  • 10 are designed to have both parameters.

Request more test subjects. If questions are asked, produce evidence of momentous research results.

Check how much these alterations cost. Reasonable or wildly expensive at the moment?

I don't think I can combine those under any umbrella term so I'm gonna list those separately. Mostly.

For increased coordination modifications for cerebellum are required and minor changes into spinal cord. This is learned ability, everybody can increase their body coordination with training, so everything needed to increase it is actually already in place. What is actually needed is cause these these natural changes happen rapidly without training. You perform cursory surgery to confirm state your subjects currently are in. With records made you jump on to next matter.

Which is improving reaction times. Again, this too is improvable via training, so approach to this problem will be similar, you conclude. With your subjects conviently on operation tables you poke around their brains, more or less accidentally causing brain death of three. Oh well, more people on the table. It's not like you are lacking in test subjects.

Third matter is improved learning ability. This, you realize, is considerably harder matter because unlike the other two it is not solved by modifying one or two relatively small areas in the brain. No, this is scattered all over the place. However you have groundbreaking theory supporting your work, so the goal is definitely archievable.

Last matter to deal today is modified extension of your original purpose. Cocktail of various substances is certainly what you want there. Not only that, but closed enviroment too. A group is knit together through hardships. A trial by fire if you will. Few days of sustained drug abuse should do the trick. Drugs you specifically need to design. Tomorrow.

As you brush your teeths before bed you realize something. While you can certainly design all these neurological changes, implementing them is entirely different matter. Neurons don't just jump in proper configuration when you call them. New neurons won't pop into existance heeding your call. Separate delivery system is required. Bacteria? Virus? Nanobots? Hmm...

i am going to be unable to access the computer for a week of so, my default actions are

No problem. Having something in buffer helps absences.

Spoiler: SECRET TECHNOLOGIES (click to show/hide)

Do not sleep until I finish this blasted machine.

Your assistants are begging for mercy as you drive them and yourself to complete the device. No dinner, no lunch. Two toilet breaks only. Having to spend this much time on a simple machine is unaccetable! Others are probably getting far aread of you while you mess with your elbows deep in oil and stuff. Hard work is rewarded, thankfully. The device is finished. Test run produces nice plastic slab to shoot at within 15 minutes. It's slower than you were hoping for, but that is the cost of its great configurability.

About god damn time. Tomorrow you can relieving your stress by shooting stuff with impunity. Well, probably better stress tests are required, but you'll start with shooting.

Research is full of interesting turns. Let's see where this goes.

I continue studying the cancer virus, focusing on any potential battle use, such as quick organ damage or disruption. This may require making the virus more aggressive.

If I have time after that, I experiment merging patients with fast-growing cancers together.

For battle use best targets are heart, brain and rest of nervous system. You devise methology for crafting short living virus (to prevent global pandemic and destruction of friendly forces) which targets cells in specific organs and rewrites sections of DNA to cause hyper cancer. Because of dangers associated with this sort biological warfare, system you design requires virus crafting on field, very limited lifespan and few other strict limitations.

Huh. After finishing your paper you stare it few minutes. You have almost accidentally created a biological weapon and delivery system useable by untrained field personel. Somebody will have you assassinated for this. Perhaps because they want it for themselves. Or because biological weapons are banned. Or just because they are jealous. You shrug. What is done is done. And technology behind the delivery system alone can be repurposed with some effort. Worth it.

You start working on your next research project, which others might call serious crime against humanity. Artificial siamese twins. It's late night so progress is minimal. Mostly theoretical thoughts about problems you might encounter with this project, order they need to be solved and so on.

Continue with the research on myomers.

The volunteer, such as he is, will not really be needed for most of the research process. However it would do good to prepare him for the upcoming procedures. Have the volunteer put through the most intense, most inhumane hand-to-hand and general melee combat training regime, without teaching him any particular style of martial art exclusively. These skills should come in handy for the later phases of the project, as well as general bodyguard duty - just in case someone tries to, say, assassinate me.

Call up the Company's acquisitions representative, and casually ask him how large a supercomputer could I have available for my exclusive use. If he asks how large would it have to be, say "About the size of Greece would be splendid.".

(really though, just as large and powerful as they can provide)

((You have bad luck with rolls. Steady line of two's.))

Research for perfect myomers kinda runs in circles today. No new ideas, not even bad ones. It's painful to admit, but shooting in dark is not good way work, especially if the target is small and far away. New inspirations are required and soon.

As a soldier your volunteer has knowledge of unarmed combat, but is primarily trained for modern weapons. Only real war worthy styles are full contact ones, such as Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Because most martial arts in the modern world are all about sports and good sweaty fun, there aren't many where killing and seriously injuring opponent is teached. Good part is that the company can send him out into the world without having to worry about anyone making connections. With self selected code name "killer hellhound", you expect great things from him. Though you don't expect to see him anytime soon again.

The Company representative, henceforth "agent", tells you that shamefully obtaining super computer of that size is beyond anyone's capacity. What they can do, however, is to purchase processor time from various existing supercomputers around the world, including large number of botnets that do not officially exist. Agent promises to make required preparations for rapid acquisitions, just contact him again when number crunching is required and they finish dealings within day or two.

Hmm. Surely A genius like me can come up with some assassination method on the cheap. Let's see... Poison maybe? Could make some potent stuff with just simple chemistry. Or maybe I could donate a rattlesnake as a test subject? Hmm.

Steal Hugenerd's funding while he's gone!

We'll see what happens.

Can I become a test subject?

Whoever claims me gets to know what is in this spoiler:

Certainly. You will be subjected to your fellow ALL CAPS person, NAV.

Is it still possible to join?

If so, join as Aroldo Sisto. And... Something.

As a potential supersoldier, yes. We have vacancies for those. I'll keep your name in mind in case we lose scientists for some reason, but as you can see, the one on top of that list is actively trying to sabotage his way in.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2016, 03:50:06 pm »

((You have bad luck with rolls. Steady line of two's.))
((With the luck this project's been having in ER? I'd be surprised if it were anything else! :P))

Working in one direction at a time doesn't seem to be working out. Time to scatter the attention a bit, there's plenty of assistants to boss around and have run tests for you.

The project's first phase is the body. This body is going to need structural and motive elements, those will in turn need basic wear protection (lubricant?), power, and cooling. Let's split attention to cover each of those directions, see if maybe a shotgun approach works out better.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 75