Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 75

Author Topic: Roll to create a supersoldier! Bloody air resistance  (Read 139292 times)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to create a supersoldier! Santa is mad scientist
« Reply #390 on: September 14, 2016, 03:50:47 pm »

((I don't know if i am allowed to join in the game right now.

If i am able to, let me join the game.))
I think we're pretty much in the beginning of the end-game so that seems unlikely.
End game-quest to f*ck ohysics and make monies.
Weren't we making super-soldiers? I'm starting to think I'm the only one who focused on the "soldier" part, instead of going directly to "weapon of terror and/or mass destruction".

You may have missed the "super" part.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: September 14, 2016, 04:00:11 pm »

AoshimaMichio, thank you for running this game, and commend you on a job well done so far. I understand, to an extent, the level of effort something like this involves. Well done.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Weren't we making super-soldiers? I'm starting to think I'm the only one who focused on the "soldier" part, instead of going directly to "weapon of terror and/or mass destruction".

Mine's still soldier oriented. I hope my volunteer enjoys and makes good use of what I will be offering him, in the end.

HugeNerdAndProudOfIt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: September 14, 2016, 04:14:45 pm »

Don't eat ghosts, that's how we got into this mess to begin with.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: September 14, 2016, 04:26:14 pm »

Quote from: helmacon on September 13, 2016, 11:22:52 pm
How can a field test of a super solider provide any relative measure of its effectiveness if only tested against other super soldiers?  Every scientific experiment requires a control group.

I shall be the control. I shall fight the super soldiers in the final battle as a regular soldier!

With GM permission of course.
I have been thinking about that. I'll probably change test order to urban, jungle, winter and add some extra elements there. Being single soldier against these occasionally magical weapons of mass destruction is probably like being an ant in front of tank. How would you feel about being in charge of a company? Artillery squad, snipers, ninjas commando squad, and regular riflemen? Just asking, no promises.

I would feel very good about that.  :P

Would I be fighting each soldier one-on-one, or just a general presence on the battlefield?
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: September 14, 2016, 04:29:05 pm »

((I don't know if i am allowed to join in the game right now.

If i am able to, let me join the game.))
I think we're pretty much in the beginning of the end-game so that seems unlikely.
End game-quest to f*ck ohysics and make monies.

I'm going for "exceptionally capable" rather than "levels small buildings with stray eyelashes". Less Thanos, more Captain America a-la Tony Stark.

Spoiler: GM note (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 04:32:04 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: September 14, 2016, 04:39:28 pm »

I gelded ATHATH to remove a physical and psychological weakpoint that has no use on the battlefield.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 06:21:11 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: September 14, 2016, 05:06:41 pm »

I push onward with post-implantation adaptation. This is the main focus of my research in the immediate present; I can design the best body possible and it'll all be for nothing if the guy moves around in it like a toddler.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: September 15, 2016, 12:47:54 am »

Butchery!

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: September 15, 2016, 02:09:06 am »

Yes, that went excellently. Good thing I'm already planning to make sensors that would be able to replace some of the missing senses as well no doubt. Anyway, time to start building up the Meshanblov Collective.

Create science variant remote controlled bodies. ((which was rather the original intent, as remote controlled bodies on the field are far too easily jammed. I can find uses for remote-controlled mil-spec drones though (mostly for my personal self-defence), so whatever.)) Maybe also give them pressure sensors, and a stabler three or four legged design. Alternatively, screw legs, wheels are the future. See, this is where modular design could shine.
Mass production of quantum brains (housing copies of Meshanblov) and science remote bodies for maximum science.

Research Modular Design.
Research Mind Editing. This is a large project, and a lot of brains may need to be dissected again, so it's important to get started early.

Uh, meshanite testing? Did you ever actually set it up?
*shrug*
Have some assistants begin setting up Meshanite production, and test whether it actually lives up to the claims.
Have assistants test Meshanite
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 02:51:30 am by Demonic Spoon »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: September 15, 2016, 05:16:05 am »

OPERATION: HOMEGROWN

Step Five, cont'd: protein design is dirty work, but somebody has to do it. Get the lab assistants and evolutionary algorithms together and start designing improved active sites and configurations for our own new brands of neurotrophin.

OPERATION: WE HAVE WAYS

Idea phase concluded, commence design phase

Step One: adapt the TG-T design to accept more conventional inputs of shapes and coordinates, test this with my Homegrown models, utilizing electrodes to provide the necessary inputs. Codename: WHW-T

Step Two: design a rangefinder, conversion and communication module that finds maximally accurate spatial relationships between modules of its like as well as helps measure distances, shapes and coordinates without such imprecise methods as keeping these in mind. In essence, a shape can be input, then a coordinate, and both are sequentially saved before the instruction is given. Codename: WHW-R

OPERATION: ALL-SEEING EYE

Step Six, clarification: don't install the module yet. Make sure it has the capability of having a sensory buffer: to avoid overwhelming the mastermind with feelings such as pain, death, agony, that sort of thing, incoming sensory data may be given lower priority at the mastermind's discretion so that it's not an unfiltered feed of data at all times. Unproductive and uninteresting (mostly unpleasant) inputs can be pruned entirely, or examined in a more academic sense. New codename: the Executive module.

Step Ten: once module has been designed, put monkboy to use and promote him to Executive Producer (he gets a trailer and $70k a year, plus a kickass chair), complete with the Executive module. Task him with maximizing his underlings' (these would be the LEPAs, now redubbed EPAs once more) quality of life within the confines of the experiment - think of it like a game of the Sims, except without the "sim" part. So a game of For Reals. He is not to let any of them leave the project nor expire, and is informed that their paycheck (which is an actual paycheck, mind you) is contingent on them spending a certain amount of days training. A special bonus: he can have them cook meals for himself as well, and the EPAs can actually leave their captivity for a short while to deliver them, even.

Step Eleven: if I have the time, begin deciphering the functions of TG-B. How does it work? And how can I use it to improve my hivemind modules with hitherto unseen, presumably quite unbreakable telepathic security?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: September 15, 2016, 07:08:47 am »

"How many days left? Welp. Caution, meet wind."

Spoiler: Activities (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 11:13:55 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: September 15, 2016, 01:52:47 pm »

Ooh cool! Go let my inner Sims nut loose. Manage my EPA underlings effectively. Try to work on them doing multiple things at once. Stuff like that. Combat training and all that.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: September 15, 2016, 02:35:55 pm »

15 days until deadline.

Yes, that went excellently. Good thing I'm already planning to make sensors that would be able to replace some of the missing senses as well no doubt. Anyway, time to start building up the Meshanblov Collective.

Create science variant remote controlled bodies. ((which was rather the original intent, as remote controlled bodies on the field are far too easily jammed. I can find uses for remote-controlled mil-spec drones though (mostly for my personal self-defence), so whatever.)) Maybe also give them pressure sensors, and a stabler three or four legged design. Alternatively, screw legs, wheels are the future. See, this is where modular design could shine.
Mass production of quantum brains (housing copies of Meshanblov) and science remote bodies for maximum science.

Research Modular Design.
Research Mind Editing. This is a large project, and a lot of brains may need to be dissected again, so it's important to get started early.

Uh, meshanite testing? Did you ever actually set it up?
*shrug*
Have some assistants begin setting up Meshanite production, and test whether it actually lives up to the claims.
Have assistants test Meshanite

Remote controlled sciencing body doesn't need to be pretty, so the model you plan and build is basically an endoskeleton with carefully placed artificial muscles, extra sensory patches along the body, especially on hands. Three legged design is not stable, four legged could be, but then you would need learn how to use six limbs which would be waste of time when you have so little of it. Same thing with wheels. Of course this doesn't mean you would learn within day or three, but it would slow down things too much. Maybe later. You add a whole lot of those high density capacitors to be the powersource of the body, but you presume they will last only one day before needing to recharge. Moving remote control on that one.

Quantum brains are not exactly mass producable because they are very complex things. Complex enough that it's well past midnight before you have it ready to host another copy of you. You let it control the combat body for now and bring it up to situation. You let him build remote sciencing body for himself from existing blueprints and focus remaining time on more productive science.

Hrm. Primary problem of modular design is sturdy connection points and transfer of power and data between parts. You get started on the first. And mind editing? What a tall order. Doable of course, but having full understanding of decoding digital brain data is prerequisite. Good thing you alrady have digital copies of two different brains, plus your own if you want to use that.

Meshanite testing: It doesn't live up to its name. At all. Not even close. Source materials don't properly mix together in the induction smelter and final product isn't even metallic as promised. Instead it is kind of ceramic and uselessly fragile to the boot. Betrayal!

So, you have two copies of you running around doing science individually. You dirty cheater. That's the way to exploit mad science. This is rise of robots. No, singularity! Down with fleshy lab assistants, all hail our robotic overlords!

Butchery!

Six subjects are first reduced to veriable vegetables, then their brains are cut out and put into special life support system to keep them alive a long time and hooked up into array. Then... What's next? You never said who's gonna be the master brain. Let's assume some hapless test subject. He gets MMI shoved into his head, tied up into exoskeleton, and then performance tested. His mental performance is... pretty good overall. You have no control data to compare with because you forgot to have him tested so you can't exactly tell if he got better.

Step Five, cont'd: protein design is dirty work, but somebody has to do it. Get the lab assistants and evolutionary algorithms together and start designing improved active sites and configurations for our own new brands of neurotrophin.

Idea phase concluded, commence design phase

Step One: adapt the TG-T design to accept more conventional inputs of shapes and coordinates, test this with my Homegrown models, utilizing electrodes to provide the necessary inputs. Codename: WHW-T

Step Two: design a rangefinder, conversion and communication module that finds maximally accurate spatial relationships between modules of its like as well as helps measure distances, shapes and coordinates without such imprecise methods as keeping these in mind. In essence, a shape can be input, then a coordinate, and both are sequentially saved before the instruction is given. Codename: WHW-R

OPERATION: ALL-SEEING EYE

Step Six, clarification: don't install the module yet. Make sure it has the capability of having a sensory buffer: to avoid overwhelming the mastermind with feelings such as pain, death, agony, that sort of thing, incoming sensory data may be given lower priority at the mastermind's discretion so that it's not an unfiltered feed of data at all times. Unproductive and uninteresting (mostly unpleasant) inputs can be pruned entirely, or examined in a more academic sense. New codename: the Executive module.

Step Ten: once module has been designed, put monkboy to use and promote him to Executive Producer (he gets a trailer and $70k a year, plus a kickass chair), complete with the Executive module. Task him with maximizing his underlings' (these would be the LEPAs, now redubbed EPAs once more) quality of life within the confines of the experiment - think of it like a game of the Sims, except without the "sim" part. So a game of For Reals. He is not to let any of them leave the project nor expire, and is informed that their paycheck (which is an actual paycheck, mind you) is contingent on them spending a certain amount of days training. A special bonus: he can have them cook meals for himself as well, and the EPAs can actually leave their captivity for a short while to deliver them, even.

Step Eleven: if I have the time, begin deciphering the functions of TG-B. How does it work? And how can I use it to improve my hivemind modules with hitherto unseen, presumably quite unbreakable telepathic security?

And the one who have to do it is you. Your brain functions on high power while working new protein into existance, one with very specific properties. You can see the final shape in your mind when you have to move onto the next project. So much to do, so little time...

Adapting TG-T goes fairly well, though deciding actual format for input it hard when you still don't have the thing which will output them. Speaking of demon, it's time to start working with that too. Understanding spatial relationships perfectly accurately is something that goes beyond normal human sensory capacity. It requires extranatural detection capacity that is guided to detect things hosting brain has detected. This is first design of your own that goes truly beyond natural laws and into the great unknown. Which takes rest of your day.

I gelded ATHATH to remove a physical and psychological weakpoint that has no use on the battlefield.

Eh, works for me.

Spoiler: SECRET TECHNOLOGIES (click to show/hide)

AoshimaMichio, thank you for running this game, and commend you on a job well done so far. I understand, to an extent, the level of effort something like this involves. Well done.

Thanks.

I push onward with post-implantation adaptation. This is the main focus of my research in the immediate present; I can design the best body possible and it'll all be for nothing if the guy moves around in it like a toddler.

And nobody wants toddlers on battlefield. Even if they are overgrown flesh horrors. Especially not then.

As you predicted the remaining problems of post surgery adaption are easy to solve. You are also fairly sure that adaptation process can be accelerated by external figures encouraging and singing praises on success and helping subject to get feel of movement of individual bodyparts and extraoridinary senses.

Remaining time goes for developing extrasensory perceptions and defense mechanisms. Those jellyfish sting cells are actually easy to do, but seriously speaking, who the hell is going to touch flesh horrors like yours with exposed skin? Nobody, that's who. Okay, maybe insane peeps. Nutcases. Crazies.

Chimera has grown most of its body, only tail and head are missing. Tarantula is growing its skeletal structures, top and bottom arms are ready, but all legs and outmost part of body is still missing. Interestingly it has decided to grow upside down. And Brutus is... Brutus is a meatball. Very large one. Only halfway done.

"How many days left? Welp. Caution, meet wind."

Spoiler: Activities (click to show/hide)

Ooh cool! Go let my inner Sims nut loose. Manage my EPA underlings effectively. Try to work on them doing multiple things at once. Stuff like that. Combat training and all that.

Playing real life sims must be postponed because slow-ass George didn't make it that far. He's slow when he shouldn't be. Doing things just like you, multiple things at once. You wonder why he's not better at it yet. Because you are pretty good at it.

Quote from: helmacon on September 13, 2016, 11:22:52 pm
How can a field test of a super solider provide any relative measure of its effectiveness if only tested against other super soldiers?  Every scientific experiment requires a control group.

I shall be the control. I shall fight the super soldiers in the final battle as a regular soldier!

With GM permission of course.
I have been thinking about that. I'll probably change test order to urban, jungle, winter and add some extra elements there. Being single soldier against these occasionally magical weapons of mass destruction is probably like being an ant in front of tank. How would you feel about being in charge of a company? Artillery squad, snipers, ninjas commando squad, and regular riflemen? Just asking, no promises.

I would feel very good about that.  :P

Would I be fighting each soldier one-on-one, or just a general presence on the battlefield?

The latter probably. Being both the general and squads. Maybe. It may end up as massive cluster fuck when psi soldier, singularity soldier, flesh horror soldier and soldier shooting eldritch horrors steamrolls over the battlefield ruining everything. And that's only the public ones.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to create a supersoldier! Singularity: Resistance is futile
« Reply #403 on: September 15, 2016, 02:45:28 pm »

Damn slowass unimaginably intelligent super scientist. Why you gotta be able to only apply your transcendent genius to one task at a time with much effectiveness?

Occupy my time playing multiple games of skill against people at once in order to further improve my multitasking skills. Go, mahjong, video games, etc. Unless of course Doc George has stuff for me to do.

Oh, and I should probably just put this in as a matter of course, brutally murder anyone I happen to catch trying to steal shit from our labs.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 11:40:53 am by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to create a supersoldier! Singularity: Resistance is futile
« Reply #404 on: September 15, 2016, 03:50:28 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 75