Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 75

Author Topic: Roll to create a supersoldier! Bloody air resistance  (Read 139163 times)

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to create a supersoldier! Crimes against everything
« Reply #330 on: September 08, 2016, 07:36:03 pm »

more training of whatever type seems to be most available and relevant to the supersoldier project.
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: September 08, 2016, 09:43:18 pm »

Keep on this project.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: September 09, 2016, 04:06:08 am »

Consider the ways in which a mad scientist's lab is similar to Santa's workshop. A secretive guy with an obnoxious laugh sits on his ass for most of a year, having nothing but ideas and orders for his troop of probably paid helpers who actually do all the work for him, while he gets all the credit when he delivers the fruits of their sweat, tears and sometimes blood, to the waiting hands of people he considers "good" by some twisted internal metric.

Spoiler: Activities (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Activity report (click to show/hide)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: September 09, 2016, 06:45:49 am »

Let's get that nutrient slurry going!

Situation Report:
Though we still have more than half the allotted time left, I have already pushed the boundaries of science and created things that I am tremendously proud of.

My main project is creating a supersoldier beginning with the body. Currently I have designed three different bodies - effectively new creatures designed chromosomes-up, more specialized for combat than anything nature could create. My immediate plans are to grow them to full size, test their individual capabilities, and then select the most promising to transplant my soldier's brain into. He will then be outfitted with biological defense mechanisms and specialized equipment to make him more dangerous than any human.

I have made other promising discoveries in my research that currently support the supersoldier project in some way, but could be refined for significant benefits in other areas. You have already seen one of these - my healing virus - and I hope the results have impressed you. I have another virus codenamed panacea, which boosts the immune system to superhuman levels and can be used to prevent rejection of donor limbs and organs. Panacea currently creates a dependency in anyone injected, but this could potentially be prevented after further research and modification.

If the Company hires me after this event, I see myself specializing in medical technologies, beginning by perfecting these viruses and potentially creating similar ones. Given how much I've accomplished in my time here so far, I think together we could benefit humanity greatly. I hope you will consider hiring me permanently.

Over and out,
Ivana Rosecrans

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: September 09, 2016, 11:32:14 am »

Investigate the problems with the Quantum brains and fix them for the MKII

Begin designing remote controlled bodies for use by quantum brained.

Situation Report:
Digitalization of the brain has been accomplished, as well as weapons-grade particle beams. Artificial muscles of more or less satisfactory performance have been made.

I believe I can achieve easily mass-produced high-quality super-soldiers via the copying of the mind of a single satisfactory template supersoldier, possibly setting up production lines of several different types based on soldiers with different specialities.

Modularity of the design, so that the supersoldiers are suited for all types of combat terrain is another goal.

The company is fine. Freedom in my work is enjoyable.

Future projects I might enjoy working on: Self-Improving AI
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 11:41:47 am by Demonic Spoon »

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 09, 2016, 12:57:53 pm »

Journal Entry Extract; D-Day+3: stayincontrolstayincontroldon'tpanicstayincontrolstayincontroleverythingwillbefinejuststayincontrolandwriteeverythingdown...
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 09, 2016, 02:15:29 pm »

21 days until deadline.

Investigate the problems with the Quantum brains and fix them for the MKII

Begin designing remote controlled bodies for use by quantum brained.

Situation Report:
Digitalization of the brain has been accomplished, as well as weapons-grade particle beams. Artificial muscles of more or less satisfactory performance have been made.

I believe I can achieve easily mass-produced high-quality super-soldiers via the copying of the mind of a single satisfactory template supersoldier, possibly setting up production lines of several different types based on soldiers with different specialities.

Modularity of the design, so that the supersoldiers are suited for all types of combat terrain is another goal.

The company is fine. Freedom in my work is enjoyable.

Future projects I might enjoy working on: Self-Improving AI

The issue with quantum brains is their memory. The device works otherwise fine, but 66% of memory units are broken. Comparison with functional ones reveals that all memory units are damaged to some degree. Functional ones are not gone all the way yet, so that's why they work at all. It appears your qubits have limited read/write access. Every write and read damages qubit little more. This is a major problem. You have to redesign parts of the quantum brain entirely. Fortunately it doesn't seem terribly large job.

Remote body is actually fairly simple. You already have exoskeleton, so all you need to do is to adapt the design to accept signals from external source. Brain probably needs feedback too, so two way communication is what you want. Remote control does have a problem though, opponent can capture signal, jam it, decode it and use it against you.

Keep on this project.

Using information gathered from various diseases affecting memory you devise a methology to erase and prevent recalling personal memories. This means that incorporated brain keeps access to full range of various information it has learned during its life, such as mathematics, laws of physics, reading human expressions and so on, but it cannot recall anything personal. This way you don't need separate database to define every single thing in the universe. It may be problematic if brain has incorrect information, but with multiple brains you can provide redundancy, kind of democratic override.

Journal Entry Extract; D-Day+3: stayincontrolstayincontroldon'tpanicstayincontrolstayincontroleverythingwillbefinejuststayincontrolandwriteeverythingdown...

Sorry.

OPERATION: GARDEN OF DELIGHTS

Step Six: the calm before the storm. Impress the need to stay in control in the subject, and impress it well.

OPERATION: ALL-SEEING EYE

Step Five: run the same tests I did at the start of the experiment, testing the success of improved reaction times and learning ability.

OPERATION: MOUSEWATCH 2016

Step Nine, cont'd: the idea is to check how the neurons have grown and what the connections turned out to be according to my working theory of nervous system design. Do they match predicted growth processes? Compare all groups of mice with the human subject's growth across many models, utilize working neuron theory to get a model of the neuronal control mechanism - for instance, what synapses activate it - stimulatory, inhibitory, modulatory, some other type or even some heretofore unseen kind.

In essence, analyze Terrible Glory from microscopic data on how the neurons have connected to the module and combine this with fMRIs and EEGs of living implanted mice (including the nonfunctional one) to get a clearer picture of what exactly is happening in their brains. Hook a mouse with a no-explosion design to an EEG and keep it well fed, checking brain electrical activity.

Step Ten: replicate the model design that didn't allow physical manifestations. Derive potential functionality of associated neurons and integrated modules based on current understanding of brain workings.

SITUATION REPORT:

Achievements: working theory of nervous system design and understanding, makes for easy design of brain implants with relatively high success rates and relatively minimal rejection. A basic hive mind has been developed, but has low multitasking capability in current edition. Several basic treatments increasing basic cognitive and neurological parameters have been shown to work. A working method for hardwired brainwashing has also been developed. Finally, Terrible Glory - high destructive potential, but poorly understood.

Research directions: understanding Terrible Glory, developing working model on harnessing cranial sorcery, combining with hive mind technology, iterating on hive mind technology, integration of all technologies into a working whole.

OPERATION: GARDEN OF DELIGHTS

As day progresses your volunteering soldier reports increasingly distressing sensations. This "hearing" gets worse, kinda musical in sense of having a pattern, but not musical in anyway he could explain. Recalling the report from previous human experiment you get direct video contact with him and spend long time telling him to stay in control, "you are the master of your mind, the captain of your soul" so stop freaking out and keep calm. The few guards near him make a report of having hallucinations and vacate the area immediately knowing what is coming (but of course leaving few high quality cameras watching it from safe distance). He lasts approximately two minutes longer in this state before than the first human subject.

You are in excellent position to watch what actually happens next. Camera shows how light is starting to shine from within his skull, first through most thin parts (eyes, ears) and then video call ends. "Connection lost", says the computer. Other video feeds from personel closer to your soldier shows flash of light and then it is all normal. Except a large cylinderic area centered around your soldier is gone. Few meters deep hole in ground and clear cut edges of his trailer home is a telltale message.

Congratulations, you are the first one to kill your volunteering soldier!

OPERATION: ALL-SEEING EYE

Reaction times are slightly higher with this group, but not enough to attribute the difference to hivemind module. It could be they were better from the very beginning. Ability to learn is measurable better as long as studied subjects are reasonably similar or different facets of same subject. Otherwise it is suffers from multitasking failure. Of course it learns quickly even in the latter case, but not as fast someone with learning boost should.

OPERATION: MOUSEWATCH 2016

So all these mouse experiments were actually "Terrible Glory - Analysis" which has been sitting in todo list few days? You should have said that clearly, because I haven't rolled a single thing for that. If that was your purpose then I'll just give results to you.

Neurons grew perfectly according your design(s). It's a little hard to tell from those hard boiled ones, but that's how it goes. Combining data from mouse brains and your theory you figure it out. Mostly. Terrible Glory is a three part design: First part is the DBBC, which appears to be mostly superfluous in sense that it doesn't really contribute anything for the whole. It takes instructions from second part, but otherwise is useless. Well, you could take that part separately and turn it absolutely secure communication channel no one can listen to. The second part is the one you didn't quite understood while driving to your new laboratory, but it now you can tell it functions like a receiver, an antenna. What it receives it transmits to other parts of the module and the brain. Where it receives signals from, that you cannot tell. It doesn't listen any form of electromagnetic radiation or really anything you can identify which is baffling, there's nothing you cannot identify!
Which brings you to the third part, the largest and most complex one. Based on your theory you figure it uses something (willpower, power of mind, desire...?) to overwrite or ignore whole set of laws of physics and move matter. The problematic part is that you can't tell where it moves. It takes all instructions from the receiver part, the area to be moved relative to itself, its shape and size, coordinates where it should be moved and so on. It's all purpose ...totally not a teleporter. That word is so unscientific. Adjustable Remote Matter Transporter?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

report:

Quote from: NAV
Automated research

Spoiler: SECRET TECHNOLOGIES (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: progress report (click to show/hide)

Let's get that nutrient slurry going!

Situation Report:
Though we still have more than half the allotted time left, I have already pushed the boundaries of science and created things that I am tremendously proud of.

My main project is creating a supersoldier beginning with the body. Currently I have designed three different bodies - effectively new creatures designed chromosomes-up, more specialized for combat than anything nature could create. My immediate plans are to grow them to full size, test their individual capabilities, and then select the most promising to transplant my soldier's brain into. He will then be outfitted with biological defense mechanisms and specialized equipment to make him more dangerous than any human.

I have made other promising discoveries in my research that currently support the supersoldier project in some way, but could be refined for significant benefits in other areas. You have already seen one of these - my healing virus - and I hope the results have impressed you. I have another virus codenamed panacea, which boosts the immune system to superhuman levels and can be used to prevent rejection of donor limbs and organs. Panacea currently creates a dependency in anyone injected, but this could potentially be prevented after further research and modification.

If the Company hires me after this event, I see myself specializing in medical technologies, beginning by perfecting these viruses and potentially creating similar ones. Given how much I've accomplished in my time here so far, I think together we could benefit humanity greatly. I hope you will consider hiring me permanently.

Over and out,
Ivana Rosecrans

Composition of nutrient slurry itself is no brainer, you know exactly what it needs. However production and constant oxygenation is the problematic part. You have an idea to design a small creature for sole purpose of eating a lot of food and producing constant flow of nutrients, but that has exactly the same problem: chicken or the egg? Because it too would need nutrient slurry to grow rapidly and if you had way to produce it you wouldn't need it in the first place. The answer seems to lie in direction of mechanical engineering, which is quite radical change from your current biological focus.

Although... you could turn a couple of test subjects for the purpose? Remove their superfluous parts and modify important bits more effective? Because all it needs is the digestive system, lungs and heart. Or a lung because it won't need as much oxygen as a whole human. Digestive system needs to be improved, not a single protein is permitted to be wasted. Nervous system must be redesigned fully autonomic. And heart doesn't need to be as strong. It's a little wicked approach, even you have to admit that, but it's not like you haven't killed test subjects before. And that's what really happens to them. Subjects die and you harvest and reuse some of their organs.

Well, that's all good. You start planning full extent of required changes and prepare constructing a virus responsible implementing genetic changes.

You monster. I suppose I too am a monster.

Consider the ways in which a mad scientist's lab is similar to Santa's workshop. A secretive guy with an obnoxious laugh sits on his ass for most of a year, having nothing but ideas and orders for his troop of probably paid helpers who actually do all the work for him, while he gets all the credit when he delivers the fruits of their sweat, tears and sometimes blood, to the waiting hands of people he considers "good" by some twisted internal metric.

Spoiler: Activity report (click to show/hide)

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. In all likelyhood Santa was a mad scientist with good intentions, but fucked up something. Governments worldwide covered it up and invented the tale of immortal dude acting up once a year to deliver gifts. Actually maybe Santa might be still doing it and governments are unable to stop him? How could an avarage human stop super smart person like yourself? Only with supreme firepower early enough when ginus doesn't have defenses put up. Maybe that's what various poorly explained wars were about? And, you know, NORAD is tracking Santa every December. Maybe they are lying about lying? What's better place to hide truth than in plain view?

Maybe, just maybe, Santa is trying to locate and collect his fellow super geniuses under flag of united brotherhood of MAXIMUM SCIENCE!

That's canon now, by the way.

I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to create a supersoldier! Santa is mad scientist
« Reply #337 on: September 09, 2016, 02:57:02 pm »

I kind of assumed it would be obvious that what I'm trying to discover by messing about with the mice is how Terrible Glory works without extreme human casualties, but point taken, I'll state intended research goals in the future.

Although, mind you, the whole point of the killer electrode in the heart was to keep the brain in a good state for later examination.

From here on in, Terrible Glory and its components will have new, catchier designations:
  • TG - the system as a whole.
  • TG-B - the brain-to-brain communicator module.
  • TG-R - the receiver module.
  • TG-T - the teleporter module.

OPERATION: MOUSEWATCH 2016 concluded, result: TG successfully analyzed, further studies branch out into HOMEGROWN and WE HAVE WAYS. Mouse subjects to be held until

OPERATION: GARDEN OF DELIGHTS concluded, result: motivation has no significant effect on withstanding horrible death, must modify TG to be less hazardous.

OPERATION: HOMEGROWN

Research goal: growing more exact model objects to study TG with.

Step One: leverage my working theory of neural design and manipulation to fashion a sort of neuronal test bed - brain matter without a brain that readily connects with a computer, electrodes and miniature chemostats to, in effect, get a feel for what a given module requires as input and actually outputs in a system. Ensure the system is compatible with a wide range of imaging technologies.

Step Two: as a test case, see if I can build such a Homegrown© receptacle for Terrible Glory's receiver module, and link it to a dummy module (where the teleporter module normally would be) that produces a readout of any signals received.

OPERATION: WE HAVE WAYS

Research goal: dissect and understand the principles by which TG-T operates.

Step One: overwriting the laws of physics, you say? Time for intense deconstruction. First question: what is the input? And don't say willpower, desire or the power of the mind, because none of those actually contain any form of meaningful information (at least not to me - perhaps my theory encompasses such things quite well - notify me if this is the case). Do they take neuronal input, and what kind if so?

HugeNerdAndProudOfIt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: September 09, 2016, 03:32:56 pm »

Don't eat ghosts, that's how we got into this mess to begin with.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 09, 2016, 10:13:00 pm »

« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 10:03:42 am by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: September 10, 2016, 12:52:41 am »

Find out who toppled the dice shrine in the rec room. Make them write out "I will not anger random Elder Gods by destroying the shrine in the rec room" in crayon on the ceiling of the rec room, 6d6+6 times.

I mean, Elder Number Gods.
You know what I mean.

Then rebuild the shrine.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 12:56:00 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 10, 2016, 04:34:09 am »

Oooh. I consider myself very lucky for having found this.

Xantalos volunteers as a test subject for any scientist, if there happen to be openings.

With my track record of how weird science shit and I interact, I daresay I'd be a prize asset to any aspiring supergenius!
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 10, 2016, 05:50:56 am »

Oooh. I consider myself very lucky for having found this.

Xantalos volunteers as a test subject for any scientist, if there happen to be openings.

With my track record of how weird science shit and I interact, I daresay I'd be a prize asset to any aspiring supergenius!

Hey, I've got an opening, I think. The guy who was my volunteer spontaneously teleported to another dimension.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: September 10, 2016, 06:31:03 am »

In the back of my mind I was just starting to think about modified creatures designed for non-combat purposes, but wow, my muse has really outdone herself here. I choose some subjects to turn into these earthworm-like support creatures, then begin the process of growing the combat bodies.

If I have time left, I begin researching additional biological capabilities that could be added to the combat bodies. I'm thinking poison spines, improved vision and light perception (those were some cool shrimp), perhaps even infrared/EM perception... though new senses could be overwhelming. I'll have to test that out on human subjects first.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: September 10, 2016, 09:05:25 am »

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 75