Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: x steel helm x  (Read 4637 times)

Dwachs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
x steel helm x
« on: August 13, 2016, 01:17:14 pm »

Is wear on armor now existent? I have several items of metal armor in my fortress with signs of wear. How can this happen? (no fire and magma are involved)

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: x steel helm x
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 01:40:18 pm »

I think it is, and I think it's a result of being put to use.

CrundleHorn

• Bay Watcher
  • CrundleHorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 02:33:45 pm »

If you melt down worn armor do you get diminishing returns?
CrundleHorn

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 02:46:58 pm »

Sometimes, sometimes not. In a few cases, melting items will give you more metal than it took to make it.

See the wiki here
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2016, 03:47:27 pm »

Sometimes, sometimes not. In a few cases, melting items will give you more metal than it took to make it.

See the wiki here

A fair warning is that its unintended bugs which means using it is most likely seen as an exploit.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2016, 04:52:36 pm »

To answer CrundleHorn's question: I don't believe worn metal equipment would yield less when melted compared to undamaged equipment. I'm not aware of anyone doing any !science! to verify that, though.

CrundleHorn

• Bay Watcher
  • CrundleHorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2016, 07:17:24 pm »

To answer CrundleHorn's question: I don't believe worn metal equipment would yield less when melted compared to undamaged equipment. I'm not aware of anyone doing any !science! to verify that, though.

This is more along the lines of what I was asking about, but I've never seen the wiki article on melting either, so that was useful too.
CrundleHorn

Dwachs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2016, 04:47:49 am »

thanks for your answers. I have never seen an announcement that armor wear is existent.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2016, 04:50:36 am »

If you take a hit, your equipment will take damage. My veterans crumple and wear through goblin armor so that it's always heavily worn when looted from the corpses. Likewise, you will probably have to replace your veterans' armor once in a while due to wear. Have spare suits so they shuck off the damaged ones when necessary.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

fonzacus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2016, 07:59:55 am »

is this in a more recent version? im pretty sure LNP doesnt have armour wear. does wearing it like clothing reduce wear? how about sparring? this is terrifyng.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2016, 09:22:37 am »

The change was introduced in 0.43.03. Armor isn't supposed to wear by wearing it, but by taking damage from hits. I would expect sparring not to cause equipment damage, as you're not actually trying to kill the sparring partner, and thus presumably don't apply lethal force. If a dorf gets injured by sparring, I would assume the equipment may take damage as well, though.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2016, 07:50:12 pm »

Armour gets worn down from taking hits, so armoured goblins can now have that armour shattered. However, we don't seem to have a way of fixing armour.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 10:46:20 pm »

Will armor eventually wear all the way down to nothing and disappear like clothing? I'll need to start reforging my precious xxIron Bootsxx

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2016, 05:53:00 am »

Indeed, though I'd compare it to submerged magma-unsafe mechanisms.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2016, 01:31:00 pm »

Will armor eventually wear all the way down to nothing and disappear like clothing? I'll need to start reforging my precious xxIron Bootsxx

It wears down in combat, so you probably should reforge them before they get smashed completely.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.
Pages: [1] 2 3