Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Legendary Engravers  (Read 669 times)

Doukutsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Legendary Engravers
« on: August 31, 2006, 11:05:00 pm »

At first I thought the only downside was all the "masterpiece engraving" spam they produced as they sped around doing their work.  That was, of course, until I tried digging out a channel/pond in a fully detailed room.  It was at this point I received 3-4 messages that "A foolish dwarf has defaced a (name of legend)" and that said legend was now throwing a tantrum (after previously being happy).  Every time I play I manage to find a new way to make my poor dwarves suffer...  :p
It seems I'll need to put a bit more thought into what I fully detail in the future.  Either that or start retiring engravers when they hit legendary...  maybe call them up just to commission special "art galleries" for the other dwarves.
All this is assuming it was because they were masterworks, I'm pretty sure I've broken up regular double-details with no fuss before.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
Re: Legendary Engravers
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 11:28:00 pm »

Imagine how ticked Michelangelo would be if they decided to tear down the Sistine Chapel after he painted the ceiling. ;-)
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Captain_Action

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 12:05:00 am »

I just wished the masterpieces were more visible.

dav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 10:57:00 am »

I think they should be the only visible secondary detailing, beyond some other signal that the wall is "better."  It's disturbing to see endless rows of dogs and dwarves staring palely up at me from the chalk.

Then again, Toady's done some work on this in the new version (which I'm downloading now.)

Rollory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 02:21:00 pm »

Actually, I'm finding legendary engravers to be really useful.

As soon as an engraver or miner or anyone who worked his way up to it rather than getting it from a mood hits legendary, I draft him.  I have a squad of dwarves with super-high stats and no annoying artifacts to drag around.  They're not as skilled militarily as my military immigrants and recruits who've been training for a while, but they are FAR more effective in combat.  For one thing, they outrun practically everything they go after - none of this chasing all up and down the map.

Engravers are the easiest to get to legendary - I always turn off detailing for all but one mason and have him do nothing else.  Then, when he gets drafted, I set the next mason to engraving.