Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma Floodgate Problems  (Read 1454 times)

juicebox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magma Floodgate Problems
« on: August 12, 2016, 02:38:55 am »

I'm in the middle of a volcano embark, and I was trying to set up a cistern for my magma forge. However, in the process of filling it, I saw this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The arrow is pointing to where that floodgate is supposed to be. The other two are still in place.

I already channeled out the level above in preparation for my forges, so the floodgates were the only thing preventing the magma from flooding the fortress. Any suggestions as to how this could have happened and what to do now?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma Floodgate Problems
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 05:46:10 am »

There are two causes I can think of:
1. The lost floodgate or its mechanism wasn't magma safe, so it has melted.
2. A building destroyer found your floodgate and smashed it. This can be avoided (in the future) by using raising drawbridges rather than floodgates.

I don't see that your fortress should get flooded through the level above, since magma, unlike water, isn't pressurized as long as you don't use a screw pump, so the magma shouldn't flow up through the holes (but various critters, like magma crabs, can still enter).
However, dumping water from two levels (or more) above the magma should cause the water and magma to form obsidian which will block any further flow. Dumping the water from a single level above usually just results in steam being generated.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 06:03:22 pm »

Sacrificing any and all elf captives to the volcano via caldera insertion may regenerate your floodgate.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

xandalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 10:54:20 am »

There are two causes I can think of:
1. The lost floodgate or its mechanism wasn't magma safe, so it has melted.
2. A building destroyer found your floodgate and smashed it. This can be avoided (in the future) by using raising drawbridges rather than floodgates.

I don't see that your fortress should get flooded through the level above, since magma, unlike water, isn't pressurized as long as you don't use a screw pump, so the magma shouldn't flow up through the holes (but various critters, like magma crabs, can still enter).
However, dumping water from two levels (or more) above the magma should cause the water and magma to form obsidian which will block any further flow. Dumping the water from a single level above usually just results in steam being generated.

I've found that when dropping anything into magma, 3+ z-levels is a good idea. Otherwise, magma-mist might cause your dwarves to have lots of !FUN!.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 11:33:11 am »

Anything but water, that is. As far as I've seen, pouring water into magma always results in either steam (which doesn't seem to be harmful) or obsidian.
Also, I've seen magma mist only when the magma was contaminated by e.g. salt, molten stone, or molten metal. Regardless, dumping things other than water into magma from a safe height is a good practice.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 12:11:33 pm »

Nobody ever tries my ideas.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 01:22:38 pm »

If you were to try them yourself you might be able to figure out why...

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 01:54:54 pm »

If you were to try them yourself you might be able to figure out why...

I already know my ideas are the best, that's the point.