Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there any reason to encrust ammo?  (Read 2503 times)

Admiral Obvious

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Wordsmith
    • View Profile
Is there any reason to encrust ammo?
« on: August 12, 2016, 01:50:19 am »

I'm just a bit curious, since I can't remember the last time I've done it.

Does it make a difference with anything other than value?

Also, does a single gem get "split" into a whole stack, or do gems get crusted into individual bolts?

I ask cuz I managed to dig up a black diamond. In theory the diamond would add some "hardness" value to the shots, right? Or does that not get counted?
"I have a rock here for you.  No animals or plants died bringing you this rock.  How fast do you want me to throw it at you?"

Ramiel.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is there any reason to encrust ammo?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 02:11:48 am »

I highly doubt decorations add anything to the material properties of the object they decorate.  Even if they did I can't imagine wasting a Black Diamond on a stack of bolts, even to make 'super-bolts'.  Save it for a good artifact instead, it'd make a killer center decoration for just about anything.

Arthropleura

• Bay Watcher
  • Elven Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 05:41:09 am »

Decorations don't affect material properties of an item. They're purely there for the bling factor. So save that diamond for something that not going to break on some goblins jawbone next seige.
We are currently three turns in, and the main hall is coated in blood, intestines and random corpses. There's a huge pile of 3000 items made of human body parts in a corner and remaining members of the staff of the museum are, as I type this, being slowly choked to death by one of our adventurers.

RocheLimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 12:45:07 pm »

Encrusting ammunition with green glass (or cut stone) is a good way to level up a Gem Setter.  Which means more of the decorations you do care about will be masterwork.

However, in the case of a black diamond... I would save it as a Raw gem for a strange mood:
  • You cannot trade for Raw gems, making high-value raw gems far more desirable than Cut Gems which you can
  • There are much more valuable things out there that fit the Cut Gems category
  • A workshop-ordered masterwork black diamond decoration is worth 60*10*12 (7,200).  A strange mood decoration is 60*10*120 (72,000)

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 04:58:32 pm »

i asked a similar question before, the answer was simply no- decorations do not add anything to weapons aside from value.
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 07:56:56 pm »

Build a vault and lock away the diamond so it does not get wasted by a crazy bone carver or whatever.  Wait for a Jeweler to get moody, then unlock the vault and cross your fingers.

JRHaggs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 09:47:48 am »

Are you joking? "Any reason to encrust ammo?"

In your mastery of all things chthonic, you have ascended to a state so superior and decadent that the embellishment with jewels of not just ammo, but sewage drains, machine parts, hospital beds, socks, ale casks, and prisoners' shackles has become de rigueur.

Your enemies tremble before your magnificence.

It was terrifying.

It was inevitable.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2016, 01:16:42 pm »

Now imagine if you can un-encrust a bolt decorated with diamonds, and gain back a whole gem each bolt.