Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Unsiegable fort location?  (Read 2385 times)

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Unsiegable fort location?
« on: February 03, 2008, 03:25:00 pm »

{Today, I discovered a very interesting place for a fort that could be unassailable to anything without wings.

It's a large mesa surrounded by fairly deep canyons with water running through them.

As you can see, the protected area is quite large. There's plenty of room for outdoor farming and a permanent(if somewhat sparse) supply of trees in the event of a siege.

The river, and the canyon it forms, are a natural moat. If I don't want any company, I can just retract the bridge and live in solitude.

But, I'm still a novice at Dwarf Fortress, open to suggestions. What would YOU do with this area?

!!{{{{{{{ Seed: 3141592653 }}}}}}}!!

Has all four neighbors.

So far I just plan to dig out a small pond at river level and construct a well closer to the surface.
EDIT: The river is always 7/7(even more in front of the waterfall) and it doesn't seem to freeze in winter, making reservoir engineering virtually unnecessary. All you have to do is dig a pond and stick a well above it.

[ February 04, 2008: Message edited by: Inquisitor Saturn ]

Reign on your Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unsiegable fort location?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 03:52:00 pm »

NICE! It's perfect for an idea I had!
ou''re just as free to state your opinion as I am free to completely disregard it.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 04:23:00 pm »

Wow... gotta keep an eye out for maps like that.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 05:01:00 pm »

First thing I would do is post the seed so that others can try it.  That looks like a popular map type.  (If you export the fort image, you'll get a .txt file with the seed in it.)

Then...

Build a wall around the entire perimeter.  It doesn't have to be a huge wall- one level is fine- but this'll keep archery fire down.

Next, build towers beside the bridge gate on your side.  Place catapults on top of them, and fortifications on the outside edge. In addition, make a coverered walkway over the gate to allow protection and more space to fire from.

At some point, pump in an internal resivoir from the river at the bottom, then reseal the path into the fort, just in case you have injuries.

I think at that point you're pretty much impregnable.

I'd also build a keep over the fort entrance, just because I could.

[ February 03, 2008: Message edited by: Toaster ]

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

helium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 05:06:00 pm »

Allright lets try to read the first post again, careful now:
quote:
Seed: 3141592653

Whoa, reading puts information in my head!

Moocow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 05:13:00 pm »

Dig down to the rivers, and dig out that whole area so you can collapse the huge chunk in the center, then let it fill up with water.
Death solves all problems - no dwarf, no problem.
- Joseph Stalin

Gislamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 05:16:00 pm »

That spot is unbelievably awesome.

How many levels deep?

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 05:29:00 pm »

I am currently in the process of making a site somewhat similar... starting from a mountain.  You know how some dwarves build big towers?  I am digging the entire mountain right out from around my fort, then I will flood the resulting basin, and building 3 very high towers of pure glass on each of 3 pillars.
With luck, I will have...
Atlantis...

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 05:42:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Gislamo:
<STRONG>That spot is unbelievably awesome.

How many levels deep?</STRONG>

There's the surface, a layer of sand, then one rock layer, then the layer that holds the river.

quote:
Originally posted by Pickerel:
<STRONG>With luck, I will have...
Atlantis...</STRONG>

A Dwarven Rapture, perhaps?

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008, 05:45:00 pm »

I just tried it out. It's only a couple of levels deep and according to regional prospector doesn't have anything special. I'll probably use this when the army arc comes along.

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2008, 06:09:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Foamy:
<STRONG>I just tried it out. It's only a couple of levels deep and according to regional prospector doesn't have anything special. I'll probably use this when the army arc comes along.</STRONG>

Still, it's more interesting than half the "ZOMG TONS OF STUFF IN ONE SPOT" maps.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2008, 06:14:00 pm »

Reminds me of Stronghold.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2008, 10:08:00 pm »

This is very wiki-worthy.

*starts a Goblin fort*

The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Shzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2008, 10:18:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Foamy:
<STRONG>I just tried it out. It's only a couple of levels deep and according to regional prospector doesn't have anything special. I'll probably use this when the army arc comes along.</STRONG>

Of course, when the army arc is implemented, saves won't be compatible, and the seed will probably generate something different ...

000634 □ [adventure mode][environment]   jumping into water while on fire resulted in steamy death

uberubert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2008, 10:57:00 pm »

I'm always amazed at screenshots of landscapes like this, and how good they look.. Toady really did a great job with landscape-generation and features! ^^
Uberubert cancels forum post: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
Pages: [1] 2 3