Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Assigning dwarves bedrooms once economy starts  (Read 598 times)

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
Assigning dwarves bedrooms once economy starts
« on: August 30, 2006, 10:47:00 pm »

Is there anyway to assign dwarves beds once the economy mode kicks in? Since there's no burrows yet it really sucks having my miners continually taking beds very far away from where mining is done.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Assigning dwarves bedrooms once economy starts
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 11:03:00 pm »

There's no way, not unless the worker in question is legendary at something...

But there is a sort of trick you can try.  Wait until the worker is working where you want them to work, then un-define their room.  They'll rent a new one; assuming that they aren't drawn away from their workplace by anything else first, that new room should hopefully be the nearest free one, which will be near their workplace.

Anyway, it's worth trying...  hey, do dwarves dislike having their room undefined out from under them?

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 11:06:00 pm »

Well, it does sort of make sense that dwarves will chose rooms for their own reasons, but it would be nice to be able to at least give them an incentive to choose to rent rooms where you want them. For example, maybe you could be able to designate a room as 50% off list price for miners?

Actually, how about making the craft-union-house nobles more useful by allowing them to set up special deals for their members? That way, you can't just say "these rooms are free for miners and unaffordable by anyone else" and get around the economy. Instead, you have the craft-union-house nobles be able to petition for a certain monetary value's worth of rooms to be able to be reserved by the player for their constituants? That would make them have a purpose for the player, they would actually be HELPING their constituants, and they would probably as a result of all this be the victims of "accidental" drowning much less often...

Old-Man-Gator

• Bay Watcher
  • Pickled Prawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 11:03:00 pm »

I am having trouble with making an office for my sherriff to work out of, she has a nice set of shackles, a study and a dining room. But no can assign office.

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 11:15:00 pm »

"Study" and "office" are the same thing.