Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Folstag University of Magic (OOC)  (Read 7976 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Folstag University of Magic (OOC)
« on: August 08, 2016, 01:46:48 am »

IC thread

Folstag University
Victory is Written by the Historians

It's a cold, frosty day in the city of Folstag just like any other day. But today happens to be special on some other merit: crowds flock into the snow-filled streets watching as the Royal Guard forms an aisle with their shields, laying down a path toward Folstag University along the city's busiest street. Here comes the newly-admitted Class of 444, the freshest batch of students in one of the most prestigious undergraduate programs in all of Hyperborea!

This is a game about a class of freshmen students at a school of magic. Students will each major in and master an Element, culminating in a final project to slightly advance the human (and demihuman) body of knowledge regarding magic. Folstag is known for its hands-on curriculum, meaning that students won't just be studying for tests and attending classes; students participate in a variety of field trips and projects with the ultimate goal of amassing Community Service credits.

Spoiler: Mechanics (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Characters (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Elemental Catalog (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 10:54:24 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Folstag University (OOC)
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 01:57:04 am »

Player Characters (7/6): (Roommate # in parenthesis)
Raioyris Nayr AKA Wunderkatze
Demivh Kestral AKA HighEndNoob (2)
Murble Moobroot AKA IronyOwl (1)
Dan Adarna AKA AoshimaMichio (1)
Christine Denare AKA Wolfhunter107
Kyron Theremis AKA TheBiggerFish
Akasha Hidarib AKA wipeout1024

Waitlist:

Club meeting times:
Arcanist's Club: Department of Earth, Room 142, Evening
History Club: Clarity Library, Afternoon
Literature Club: Clarity Library, Evening

Time Schedule:

Morning Classes
Life - Intro to Restoration (Murble)
Life - Intro to Genetics (Dan)
Fire - Fire Magic Basics (Christine)
Time - History of Magic (Demivh)
Time - Blurring the Lines (Kyron)

Afternoon Classes
Earth - Intro to Earth (Murble, Dan)
Time - Intro to Time Magic (Kyron, Demivh)
Water - Intro to Flow (Christine)

Evening Classes
Restoration -- Minor class (Demivh?)

Night Classes
Restoration -- Minor class (Demivh?)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 02:22:43 am by _DivideByZero_ »

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
Re: Folstag University of Magic (OOC)
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 10:32:25 am »

What are limits of each Major? For example, what else Life can do besides just healing and giving Bull's Strength? How far one can bend it before it stops being Life magic? Or is it something players are to discover?
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 01:05:07 pm »

This looks dope. PTW, might make a character later.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 02:29:43 pm »

What are limits of each Major? For example, what else Life can do besides just healing and giving Bull's Strength? How far one can bend it before it stops being Life magic? Or is it something players are to discover?

There's a limit to what you'll be taught of course, but that won't stop you from discovering something new. You could also try mixing them and see what happens, so no, a Life major is not limited entirely to healing and buffs.

I can't exactly tell you the specifics though, since it is a game about discovery. :S

I added a tidbit to the main post indicating that you can take a minor if you want.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 02:31:52 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
Re: Folstag University of Magic (OOC) (Looking for Players)
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 07:31:27 pm »

I'ma make a sheet.

Done.

Spoiler: Raioyris (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 09:42:33 pm by WunderKatze »
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 07:39:49 pm »

IN!

Reading OP...
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 07:42:07 pm »

Is Shadow magic just shadow manipulation/creation/solidification, or do the dark arts fall under it as well?

Can Earth magic manipulate metal, or just stone and/or dirt?

I can't help but notice that Air and Space are missing from the element list.

How does time-traveling work in this setting? Is it even possible?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 07:45:04 pm by ATHATH »
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 07:52:35 pm »

@Earth and Metal: Yes

@Air and Space: You can control those using skills learned in the other majors. As far as a dedicated major goes... it's not offered for some reason.

@What Shadow Entails: For pretty much any of the elements, the exact limitations are unknown and you'll be able to stretch the limits by discovering something new.

For dark arts, I don't think the university will be teaching you anything inherently evil so if you want to do that you'll have to seek such education elsewhere (like a club). I can't really give you the specifics but I can add a catalog if it makes it easier to choose.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 08:21:54 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2016, 08:31:48 pm »

((You turned entropy into super-awesome time magic! Nooo! I will now never be satisfied with this character, but decided on this a few hours ago.))

Name: Thalstav Ridders
Description: 16, Male. He is tall and slightly chubby. He moves like one forced to master dance early in life, and carries himself like a noble that expects to get his way. Personality-wise, he is a coward who values his own life highly, and seeks enough wealth to live a comfortable upper-class life of leisure. He is afraid of the dark (especially in caves), but tries not to show it.
Outfit: Default school uniform, with elbow-length gloves if they're not standard.
Bio: He was the third son of a minor noble. Since his oldest brother inherited the family's fairly small estate, his was set to be forced into the army, much to his displeasure. He was thrilled at the chance to become a wizard instead, and hopes to get rich enough to buy his own estate.
Major/Minor: Earth Minoring in Shadow.

Earth has many safe ways to make money (civil engineering, jewelry, mining), and is hopefully good for protection if combat finds him. Shadow for escaping, and hopefully getting over that fear of the dark thing.

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2016, 12:47:48 am »

Name: Demivh Kestral

Description: Demivh is a 18 year-old male. He measures at 6ft with green eyes and brown hair. Demivh loves to experiment and reach and break the limits of what he can do. While a bit of a troublemaker, he can get serious when the situation requires it. He primarily wants to find new ways to help people, though the joy of discovery is part of the experience.

Outfit: A silver shirt and black dress pants, with a purple and blue robe encrusted with jewels near the collar.

Bio: Demivh is the third and youngest son of Duke Zelgius, current head of House Kestral. Kestral is a well respected name in the Folstag, as it's founder, Entrus, was a talented mage who helped create the first school of magic. Despite seemingly having the ideal role-model, Entrus' children swore off magic completely, and no Kestral had studied magic since. This remained until Demivh's grandfather, Duke Morstall, who sought to return the house to it's roots. It remains unpopular among the family, with only Demivh and his younger sister showing any interest in pursuing it, and only after they read one of Morstall's journals less then a year ago.

Major: Time
Minor: Life
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 02:27:38 am by HighEndNoob »
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2016, 02:26:52 am »

Name: Demivh Kestral

Description: Demivh is a 18 year-old male. He measures at 6ft with green eyes and brown hair. Demivh loves to experiment and reach and break the limits of what he can do. While a bit of a troublemaker, he can get serious when the situation requires it. He primarily wants to find new ways to help people, though the joy of discovery is part of the experience.

Outfit: A silver shirt and black dress pants, with a purple and blue robe encrusted with jewels near the collar.

Bio: Demivh is the third and youngest son of Duke Zelgius, current head of House Kestral. Kestral is a well respected name in the Folstag, as it's founder, Entrus, was a talented mage who helped create the first school of magic. Despite seemingly having the ideal role-model, Entrus' children swore off magic completely, and no Kestral had studied magic since. This remained until Demivh's grandfather, Duke Morstall, who sought to return the house to it's roots. It remains unpopular among the family, with only Demivh and his younger sister showing any interest in pursuing it, and only after they read one of Morstall's journals less then a year ago.

Major: Time
Minor: Life

((You turned entropy into super-awesome time magic! Nooo! I will now never be satisfied with this character, but decided on this a few hours ago.))

Name: Thalstav Ridders
Description: 16, Male. He is tall and slightly chubby. He moves like one forced to master dance early in life, and carries himself like a noble that expects to get his way. Personality-wise, he is a coward who values his own life highly, and seeks enough wealth to live a comfortable upper-class life of leisure. He is afraid of the dark (especially in caves), but tries not to show it.
Outfit: Default school uniform, with elbow-length gloves if they're not standard.
Bio: He was the third son of a minor noble. Since his oldest brother inherited the family's fairly small estate, his was set to be forced into the army, much to his displeasure. He was thrilled at the chance to become a wizard instead, and hopes to get rich enough to buy his own estate.
Major/Minor: Earth Minoring in Shadow.

Earth has many safe ways to make money (civil engineering, jewelry, mining), and is hopefully good for protection if combat finds him. Shadow for escaping, and hopefully getting over that fear of the dark thing.
I'ma make a sheet.

Spoiler: Character. WIP (click to show/hide)

Good, good, and unfinished.

@Nirur Torir

I figured Entropy would be too specific, so that's that.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2016, 05:25:24 am »

Name: Murble Moobroot

Description: A black lizardwoman of above average height and slim build. Barbels adorn her mouth, ear fins grace her head, and her scales are fine and smooth, all of which helps give her a vaguely fishy or eel-like appearance. She likes to think big but often isn't all that sure she knows what she's doing, which tends to give her a sort of terrified bravado as she rides out her own plans as best she can. Partially due to both thinking big and being secretly sure everything is going wrong, she tends to like working with others, and sees Life magic as a possible shortcut to being powerful and well-liked.

Outfit: Red and black robes with curling shoulder pads.

Bio: Murble is the third child of one of three extremely minor noble families controlling a small trading town in a swampy, largely backwater province which claims descent from a semi-mythical empire of dragonkin in ages past. The generally un-mythical and water-oriented qualities of its inhabitants suggest this claim is somewhat exaggerated or has been watered down at best, but it tries to hold itself to the supposed grandeur of its heritage regardless. Murble is a fairly standard specimen of these conditions, having received a proper upbringing and first-rate education (by the local standards, anyway) before being desperately hurled into the world to achieve fame and fortune to hopefully pay for all that. She's not entirely sure what she wants to do with her life, but amassing magical power and/or wealth seems like a pretty good default.

Major/Minor: Life/Earth
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2016, 05:44:06 am »

Name: Dan Adarna

Description: He's 17 years old young human, somewhat skinny. His curly brown hair is well kept and his face is shaved clean. His eyes are green and his skin is copper. While not really handsome, he got a good smile.
Dan is easygoing friendly man, true to himself. He greatly respects skill, be it either martial, magical or mundane, and finds craftsmanship to be of the highest ideals in life. As such he also have great appreciation for art and masterful works. He doesn't respect law when it gets in his way, so he will cheat and lie his way into better position, and you might find him stealing and stashing artworks and other objects of value. He tends to speak his mind and usually comes out as rude. He's greedy, quick to anger, likes to brawl, but doesn't hold on to grievances unless you really wrong him.
If there's a good party somewhere, you can expect to find him there.

Outfit: Black straight pants, white poet shirt under scarlet tapestry vest, gold dyed silk sash on his waist and dark brown coat. Pretty much like this.

Bio: As a son of necromancer he has good knowledge about what's going on inside bodies. It's hard to avoid seeing rotting guts of zombie, and often watching his mother in work has left him with respect for skill, acceptance for those with different appearance and lifestyle, and dabbling theoretical knowledge about necromancy. His mother dabbled a bit on life magic and did some minor enhantments on his son's physiology, especially his eyes, giving him unnaturally good eyes. He can see well in dark and bright, his eyes adapt very quickly so it is hard to blind him.
Where as his mother seeks art in undeath, he developed interest for modifying what is still alive. Abominations against life are more like pieces of art in his eyes, especially when they are functional abominations. He's very eager to test new techniques on others before working with his own body.

Major: Life
Minor: Earth
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 06:51:18 am by AoshimaMichio »
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2016, 06:42:35 am »

Name: Nix
Description: A human young adult male, with a completely shaven head.  His dome is shiny and unmarked apart from a subtle ring of discoloured scar tissue encircling his cranium, forehead height.
Outfit: Adorned with a rugged white shawl more suitable to sheepherders than wizards, his individuals wrists and ankles are wrapped in chains made of lead. 
Bio: Born to a familial cult of spiritual enlightenment seekers, Nix was indoctrinated from an early age that discipline and self-denial are keys to purification of the self, and the ascension of one's self beyond the petty happenings of life.  Knowing nothing but community, labour and devotional thought and speech, Nix's curiosity was never truly assuaged by the ascetic life his people led.  After eventually earning the right to leave as a man coming into his own, Nix became determined to learn the nature of magic, and reconcile his family's teachings of balance, renewal, mastery over the self.  And who knows, maybe have a bit of fun along the way.
Major: Water, Minor: Fire
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 07:04:16 am by NRDL »
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5