Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Black Lives Matter discussion thread  (Read 8465 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Black Lives Matter discussion thread
« on: August 06, 2016, 08:45:01 am »

Discussion thread for all the politics, activism, terrorism, Trotskyism, and antidisestablishmentarianism that relates to the movements Black, Blue, All, etc. Lives Matter, because it keeps coming up in other threads.

Ground rules:

• Read the forum guidelines before posting.
  • Do not make personal attacks, flame, troll, or whatever.
  • Do not assume malice when reading other peoples' posts.
  • Generalisations are permitted as long as you can show statistics to back it up.
  • Everything is personal opinion until sources are cited. Yes, even then.
  • Do not post if you will get upset when people disagree with you. This is a discussion thread.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Black Lives Matter discussion thread
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 08:50:08 am »

Posting to watch.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 08:59:42 am »

I blame the war on drugs
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 11:12:26 am »

I blame the war on drugs
Yeah I honestly do.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 11:13:19 am »

Kinda
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 11:15:18 am »

I blame Orange Wizard.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2016, 11:17:35 am »

Why?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2016, 11:19:24 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAu44wVgb58

Have you seen this; whats your opinion on him and his opinions?

BLM or people claiming to be/support BLM have already decided to counter real or perceived unjust violence with violence of their own. They're advocating violence against police and juridical system. I dont see how they can win sympathies of the majority, change the society and win, all by just killing cops and violence in general.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 11:26:34 am by Erkki »

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2016, 11:23:49 am »

Hey, that's the guy who gave the speech at the NRA! (A detailed post to follow)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2016, 11:29:19 am »

I blame the war on drugs
Yeah I honestly do.
Yep. The problem with hard drugs in U.S. cities was intentionally engineered by the CIA back in the '80s.

Granted, it was mostly part of an effort to gather off-the-books funds and third-party support to funnel to the Contras, but I doubt that they were disappointed at the outcome at home. Without that, there wouldn't have been such heavy levels of hard drug use, so it's likely that the political capital for the War on Drugs would never have developed.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2016, 11:41:42 am »

I rather dislike how it's called 'black lives matter' in the first place and not 'all lives matter'.

This is just trying to put yourself away as a separate community as the rest of the inhabitants of the US.

I dislike people identifying themselves on the basis of the colour of their own skin.

You are not special if you have a dark skin, nor are you special if it is light (Why say I AM black, or I AM white in the first place? I am defined as little by those things as by the colour of my hair or my shoe size)

The first step to truly stop all forms of racism is to stop seeing yourself as different from your fellow men.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2016, 11:52:25 am »

I rather dislike how it's called 'black lives matter' in the first place and not 'all lives matter'.

This is just trying to put yourself away as a separate community as the rest of the inhabitants of the US.

I dislike people identifying themselves on the basis of the colour of their own skin.

You are not special if you have a dark skin, nor are you special if it is light (Why say I AM black, or I AM white in the first place? I am defined as little by those things as by the colour of my hair or my shoe size)

The first step to truly stop all forms of racism is to stop seeing yourself as different from your fellow men.
The reason for it being called "Black Lives Matter" is that (in my opinion, and presumably also the organizers' opinions) people need to be told that. All lives matter, but it often seems like people value black lives less, consciously or unconsciously. Feminism is called "feminism" and not "egalitarianism" for very similar reasons.

I'm not sure how well I actually addressed your points — if you want an in-depth, line-by-line response, I can do that.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2016, 11:53:08 am »

You can only be racist if you're white.

Or so I'm told weekly.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2016, 11:55:42 am »

It ought to be "criminalized lives matter".  Unjustly criminalized by the war on drugs, reinforced by culturally-isolated ghettos.  It's tragic. 

It's not racism, and by claiming racism BLM just reinforce a problematic divide.  Their message alienates potential allies, even those just as ruined by our criminal justice system.

Also hurts their credibility when they claim martyrs who arguably, or sometimes *clearly* attacked police first.  There are actual cases of abhorrent police misconduct, but the highest-profile cases are some of the weakest.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2016, 12:00:41 pm »

You can only be racist if you're white. Or so I'm told weekly.
By who? If you subscribe to the power + prejudice definition... well, it's still possible to be racist and non-white, I guess, so what you're being told is wrong. Still, going by power + prejudice, white people are hardly ever the victims of racism, even if they aren't the only ones who commit it.

It's not racism, and by claiming racism BLM just reinforce a problematic divide.
There's definitely some racism. The statistics show that, even discounting all the recent high-profile stories.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5