Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Black Lives Matter discussion thread  (Read 8448 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Black Lives Matter discussion thread
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2016, 07:47:39 pm »

It just strikes me as "this too!"ism.  They were drafting a list of ways that people were being tracked and someone chimes in "dont forget about the body cameras!"
The issue is that another person didn't mention that body cameras are intended to reduce brutality and make police accountable. Is it representative of the entire movement? Probably not, but it's interesting to note that it was included.

The Black lives matter movement is a racist movement asking for special treatment simple as that.
Oh god.  This again.
What else would you call it? I posted the Reparations demands, and that's basically what it appears to be.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2016, 07:50:41 pm »

What else would you call it? I posted the Reparations demands, and that's basically what it appears to be.

You are assuming that calling for reperations is automatically racist.  That is an immensely fallacious assumption.  And it shows an immense lack of curiosity about an issue you have chosen to form a strong opinion about.

In fact this is the mirror argument to someone saying that racism is the reason for all the problems that black people face.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2016, 07:52:17 pm »

You drafted the BLM platform?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
  • 50/50 cat pork burger wth sweet lime sauce is best
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2016, 07:55:27 pm »

Mainiac.
You are wrong.
Ive sided with the white lives matter on this one.
We demand all black people stop bringing race into this. A few complaints about our genetics and then we would like free health care.
Oh yeahand removing of behavorial prediction software?! Why so the CCTV cant see your intent with your AR15? Fuck that shit these demands are idiotic.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 08:01:37 pm by Catmeat »
Puns are social lubricant.
Too much and you lose sensation

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2016, 08:03:56 pm »

The Black lives matter movement is a racist movement asking for special treatment simple as that.

Oh god.  This again.
(Don't let them get a rise out of you, they're being aggressive)
But I was a little concerned about that too, actually, looking at the picture I posted.  They say:
How Black queer and trans folks bear a unique burden from a hetero-patriarchal society that disposes of us like garbage and simultaneously fetishizes us and profits off of us, and that is state violence.
And I thought, you know, they were claiming that this problem is worse for black people.  Or even "unique" to black people.

But that's just a summary, so I dug just a little...  I found the "Community Control" page, where they post numbers that actually show that black trans people are less at risk for police violence than other trans people.  What they emphasize is that trans people in general are about 3X as likely to suffer police violence.

So that part of their platform isn't related to race at all, actually.  It's just hoping to raise awareness of trans persecution by police.

...Which is *not* the sense I get from their main page image.  And I'm not sure why it's part of their platform at all, honestly.  Their main message is that everything is worse for black people.  Yet here's a case where black people have it slightly better - and they still emphasize protecting *specifically black* trans people.  Is that racist, or just dishonest?

If they just want to stand against police oppression, they could have.  Many groups do.  They chose instead to stand specifically against perceived racial injustice.  So they have no right to pander to trans people this way.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2016, 08:07:40 pm »

Yet here's a case where black people have it slightly better - and they still emphasize protecting *specifically black* trans people.

It's an age old problem.  We call progressives dishonest if they dont make counter arguments against their own causes.  Then we wonder why they are always so wishy washy.  Right after we wonder why they are always so obstinate in their demands.

The reason why black lives matter focuses on the black people is the same reason that the Sierra Club spends more time working on Bald Eagles then the rights of unionized workers.  They're a special interest group.  This is their cause...
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 08:10:08 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2016, 08:13:59 pm »

^this
Its state oppression media manipulated into many racist movements.
I care deeply for equality, but when its made to look like equality but is the opposite I stand against it with my arms on fire.
On top of that, a list of demands that asks for insane requests (releasing of millions of criminals, software deletion...) or blatantly lies about stats should be ignored on the full.
So BLM can get fucked in their petty war.

Humans have much to learn

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2016, 08:15:35 pm »

why is nobody responding to my responses ;_;

Am I seriously that bad at debating?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2016, 08:17:14 pm »

It's the internet.  I think you might have this backwards.  Try being more aggressive.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2016, 08:20:23 pm »

No its that we covered them.
Basicly BLM is wrong and equality isnt found in murder, bearing of arms, or demands.
It is found in peace and love

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2016, 08:20:58 pm »

Yet here's a case where black people have it slightly better - and they still emphasize protecting *specifically black* trans people.

It's an age old problem.  We call progressives dishonest if they dont make counter arguments against their own causes.  Then we wonder why they are always so wishy washy.  Right after we wonder why they are always so obstinate in their demands.

The reason why black lives matter focuses on the black people is the same reason that the Sierra Club spends more time working on Bald Eagles then the rights of unionized workers.  They're a special interest group.  This is their cause...
I don't see how the first part is relevant, exactly...

But sure sure, it's fine that BLM focuses on perceived racial injustice.  That's what they've chosen.
... So why are they talking about trans people?  They're implying that black trans people have it worse than non-black.  But that's not true, at least in regards to police violence.  So why are they bringing it up as a core part of their about page?

Black trans people actually do have it worse in other ways, of course.  But BLM exists to change the government, not communities.  Nothing wrong with that.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2016, 08:22:01 pm »

If you don't directly quote people and then snipe at them with sarcastic quips instead of addressing their arguments you're never going to get any attention.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2016, 08:30:41 pm »

You are asking BLM to make the counter argument against their own cause and then discuss it in navel gazing detail.  I'm all for that in it's time and place.  But this isn't a philosophy movement.  It's a political movement and one that neither of us are part of.  Who are we to tell them to take a self evidently self defeating tactic?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2016, 08:46:19 pm »

You are assuming that calling for reperations is automatically racist.  That is an immensely fallacious assumption.  And it shows an immense lack of curiosity about an issue you have chosen to form a strong opinion about.
>makes a thread
>links primary sources
>"lack of curiosity"

BLM's demands are racist. They demand reparations (retroactively, no less) paid by whites, to all blacks in the United States. I assume nothing.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2016, 08:49:29 pm »

You are asking BLM to make the counter argument against their own cause and then discuss it in navel gazing detail.  I'm all for that in it's time and place.  But this isn't a philosophy movement.  It's a political movement and one that neither of us are part of.  Who are we to tell them to take a self evidently self defeating tactic?
I don't see how I'm asking for a counter argument.  Sorry, I honestly don't understand.

I'm asking why they're bringing up trans people.  Black trans people are targeted by police less than non-black.  So it's not really in their scope.  Further, their about page seems to imply that black trans people *are* especially targeted, though it's ambiguous.
She/they
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5