Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FPS woes  (Read 667 times)

niltrias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gaijinninjas.com
FPS woes
« on: October 29, 2007, 11:00:00 pm »

ARGH! a month into the game (gametime, obviously) and my FPS has dropped to 27, even with weather and temp off.  it took 7-8 years and multiple goblin seiges to do that with the old version.
I dunno if I'll be able to play the new version...
Anybody else getting this level of slowdown?
Gero! Gero! Bwahahahaha!

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FPS woes
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 11:02:00 pm »

A month in I'm getting a decent 40ish FPS. Unless I'm underground or overground at all, where I get 4FPS. This is sans Weather,Temp, 3x3 map.

A topic identical to this, however, is in the bug reports forum! Check there for info too.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 11:03:00 pm »

Yeah, this happened to me, but if there are no dwarves in sight then FPS goes back to 100 while the game is running.  Jump down a few Z levels if you just need time to pass by ;p  I'd like to watch my dwarves work, of course.

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 09:12:00 am »

The FPS things is definitely a display problem.
I performed this simple test:
1) Pause the game.
2) Go up and down levels, each time waiting for the FPS to stabilize.
Results:
(game FPS is capped at 100, display FPS at 30)
When on level 0 of the map, the FPS is 100 when I'm cruising along random places on the map, however (and I think this is the important part), as soon as I'm looking at a place that isn't instantly visible (ie, there's a layer of rock above my current viewport), the game slows down to 38-40. I move aside and it instantly climbs back to 100. If there's only small amount of rocks visible than it can stay on 70 or 80. If the entire view is just "there are rocks above" (like if I go to a completely undug layer, or on layer 0 I'm looking under a tall mountain) its 30. If I'm so "high" that I can only see the blue mist, its 30 again, ditto for just being high enough to barely see the layer below, with the exception that it doesn't happen when I'm on layer 0.

To sum up for Toady One:
The game runs properly when I'm looking at layer 0.
The game runs crappily when I'm looking at any other layer, but the amount of crappiness is directly related to the type of area I'm looking at:
I) If I'm looking at ground that is really on the current layer (ie, no blue mist, no undug-blackness and no its-just-one-level-below-dots), it runs properly
II) Otherwise it runs like crap.
III) The overall speed at which it runs depends on the ratio between I and II. If its mostly I than it will run at 70-100, if its mostly II than it will run at 40-50, if its just II than it will run at 25-30.
EDIT: Changing the display FPS limitation has no effect on the FPS at which the game plays.
EDIT: What I said in the part before the summation is slightly self-contradictory. The summation is the part that's got it right.

[ October 30, 2007: Message edited by: Slartibartfast ]

[ October 30, 2007: Message edited by: Slartibartfast ]

But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 09:33:00 am »

Lags like hell too unfortunately  :(

Quite a lot of optimizing is needed still...

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 06:46:00 pm »

The sky lag is handled, but I can't reproduce the underground lag yet.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!