Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to tell a coworker I want to eat lunch alone?  (Read 2064 times)

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to tell a coworker I want to eat lunch alone?
« on: August 03, 2016, 03:22:33 pm »

Pretty straightforward. We sit next to each other 8 hours a day, why does it have to be 9? I ran out of things to say a long time ago.
Once or twice a week would be allright, but I cant do it everytime. How do I change this (for good) without screwing the relationship?

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
Re: How to tell a coworker I want to eat lunch alone?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 04:02:30 pm »

Spoiler: Serious Suggestions (click to show/hide)

The pure destructive force of a full speed taco truck is pretty bad, and adding a bomb on won't add that much."

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 07:57:11 pm »

If you can take a break at a different time, that's what I used to do when I wanted to eat alone.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 08:04:15 pm »

Serious suggestion: Tell them that you don't want to offend them, but you need to be alone for a bit.

Super not serious suggestion: quote Achilles and say "Fool, prate not to me about covenants. There can be no covenants between men and lions, wolves and lambs can never be of one mind, but hate each other out and out an through. Therefore there can be no understanding between you and me, nor may there be any covenants between us, till one or other shall fall”
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 11:20:40 pm »

Pretty straightforward. We sit next to each other 8 hours a day, why does it have to be 9? I ran out of things to say a long time ago.
Once or twice a week would be allright, but I cant do it everytime. How do I change this (for good) without screwing the relationship?

Not sure how you only do it once or twice a week without sending the vibe you really don't wanna hang out. Guy sounds like he wants a lunch buddy. I got one of those, but I approve of his company because he's a friend of old and we can do silence when we don't have anything meaningful to say.

Just level with them I guess. There's no graceful way to say you prefer to be alone some (a lot) of the time without running the risk of hurting someone's feelings. You could just say pretty much what you said here: "Hey man, we spend about 8 hours together, I'd kind of like an hour to myself once in a while." Do it with the right tone and I don't think that's really a problem. It's honest and reasonable.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 12:41:27 am »

I was earlier trying to find a good way of saying something. The 'dishonest' but possibly no-hurt way might be to bring in a textbook for something and when you want some lone-time say you need to study this and need a bit of space. Extra kudos if you do end up studying it and even more if you do get something other than quiet time out of the practice.  But its an lame excuse, at heart, still.

And it occured to me that if when the cow-orker started maybe they were told "stick close to Ancistrus, they' ll show you the ropes" and even though the ropes have been shown, the habit is established. Alternately, when Ancestrus started, the colleague was told "keep an eye on Ancestrus and show them the ropes", to similar effect. (I know I've been quite paternal to newbies in various jobs where I was the established figure, and never quite known where to balance the 'relationship'. Not had anyone suggest I back off, but not sure they weren't thinking that. And I hope I would have complied, or naturally did before it became an issue of comment.)

So, ultimately, honesty is probably the best policy, maybe it is as much a relief to them that 'weaning' officially occurs. Or glue muesli or other types of flakes to the entire visible surface of your skin and fake a skin disease that you can then claim is infectious. And that erupts just as lunchtime comes around on days you want to spend alone, as it happens, during your initial quick trip to the bathroom with that bag of breakfast cereal and adhesive .   Your choice...  ;)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 03:59:42 am »

Don't change your socks for a few days, should work.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 12:25:08 pm »

What if you just literally tell him what you told us?

I am kinda the honest type.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 12:34:00 pm »

What if you just literally tell him what you told us?

I am kinda the honest type.

Fool, prate not to me about covenants. There can be no covenants between men and lions, wolves and lambs can never be of one mind, but hate each other out and out an through.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 12:51:04 pm »

'I want to think and be alone, piddle off and kick the rocks out of the gutter you human trashbag.'

^^ that should at least get an interesting reaction.  Maybe even a laugh if you dpo it right.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2016, 12:54:53 pm »

I'd go with something like "No offense, but do you mind if I sit alone sometimes? It's nothing personal or anything; I just like to have some time to myself in the day."
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2016, 02:26:50 pm »

I'd go with something like "No offense, but do you mind if I sit alone sometimes? It's nothing personal or anything; I just like to have some time to myself in the day."
"How dare you refuse the gift of my company! I hate you now!"
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2016, 03:38:40 pm »

"How dare you refuse the gift of my company! I hate you now!"

At least he'd be on his own at that point.

Wouldn't get chatted to at his desk either.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2016, 06:57:22 pm »

Though its your own business, nobody's really asked what your relationship (*or albeit lack of a relationship*) is with your co-worker, we don't need a life story but it helps us formulate a more tactful answer to help you.

From my own experiences its a little bit like 'they chose you', without taking that too out of context if you get what i mean. Unless its a forced seating arrangement they prefer to sit next to you in preference to somebody else or alone, its actually sort of flattering in a sense. You don't own their gratitude but in most male to male arrangements (particularly as a man myself speaking about this) we dont really speak but instead sometimes nod, grunt or briefly exchange eye contact to acknowledge each other and do our own thing.

Its like dog's sniffing other dogs and suddenly there is mutual peace in the world, or some ancient pactual promise not to start striking or particularly hate each other for no good reason. Some people say women hate each other, truth is that men hate all men in a competitive sense in the same way but usually settle it via this 'agreement'

Im probably rambling, lets cut to the chase. I agree with some of the stuff here, don't be too apologetic or heavy but just level with them and tell them the situation im sure they'll understand or at-least accommodate to the new changes in seating arrangements in time.