Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: [SG] Draconic Dominion  (Read 6786 times)

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [SG] Draconic Dominion
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2016, 09:09:31 pm »

(Get ourselves into a position where we end up founding a religion we are the head of and object of worship. We lead with a carrot not a stick, although we do have sticks.... Work our way into being the God Dragon of these elves with their devotion to us being intense. In time, rule alongside the magocracy, and perhaps eventually have them doing our will, but that last part comes much much later though).

"Well met Magocrat Nisem of House llveren. I am Erorua the Illustrious Life Dragon. Your people's plight and pains are known to me, and my presence purges pain.

Your food crops and fertility may flourish. Your sicknesses and pains be forgotten. This I can do.
I can administer to your sick and injured. Let mortal frailty become forged.
I am the High Dragon Mother. Come under the protection of my scales, shelter beneath my wings.

Build unto me a temple. Bring unto me devotion, I shall give the worthy devoted abundance, health and life."

What exactly do you currently wish for?
A Temple Lair where we may receive proper devotion and eventually worship, to build a religion around us in a place of esteem.

This temple lair must have an audience chamber where we may receive both general devotion and specifically to see the sick that we may administer healing to them.
(This will put the people on our side and increase their devotion to us)
As time passes, we will increase our temple lair's size and function and all shall come to worship us, and eventually our offspring and priests of our religion (of which we are the head).

I'm not sure about the timeframe but we demand Priests for our religion Preferably nature / life oriented spellcasters to help carry out our bidding spread the word and our blessings to the elves. If we have to train them, then we will. Not like we aren't going to delegate some things with 1400 eventual followers here. We're going to show those priests about crop enhancing magics that involve performing rituals of praise to US, thanking us for increased growing of food and crops, etc. Their crop increases and healing shall be done in our glorious name, the High Dragon Mother!

Not now perhaps, but in time, we will open up a school for warriors or mages (whichever is better for deep elves. I don't know). They will be extensions of our will and devoted to our power us.

Eventually we will expand our brood and create more dragons, holy life dragons, holy sons and daughters of the High Dragon Mother. Of course this is after we find a suitable life dragon mate / consort and probably years in the future.

Eventually we will have our chosen (half dragons) doing our bidding. That is also years in the future.

For now we talk about the temple lair and priests, and devotion to us, and the gifts of life.

What position or rights do you want to obtain and in what manner?
We are the High Dragon Mother, ours is the way of life. We don't say it now, but eventually we want to be in control of these elves, and they will love us because we give them lots of things and protect them / expand our brood. They will adore us and if need be fight and die for us. (We really don't want them to die because as a life dragon, that actually does weaken us physically and in terms of troop strength). Our brood shall grow.

We wish the right of devotion to us by the people, which they will willingly give once the realize our skill with healing and our benefit to their livelihood / crops. They will love and eventually worship us.

If we require food, then we will require that, though it will be much easier to produce food with us around.

"Offer" the elves our assistance with their livilihood problems to grow their way out of it. We control these things and determine how they are administered....

It goes without saying that we are free to do whatever we please. We are on a level at least equal to the ruling class, perhaps above, but let's not press the point. In time, our devoted people may do that for us.

What besides your blessing would you be willing to commit to the elves?

We're healing their sick, helping their crops and protecting them / teaching them to protect themselves. Building our religion strengthening them.

Do we NEED anything? Do we eat? Do we sleep? Are there any requirements biologically imposed upon us. Basically let's have these elves become religiously devoted to us in exchange for giving them things we're good at giving. In time, we become their God with a place they love us for occupying. (They'll never betray their awesome dragon god who helps them. A loyal, well fed population doesn't revolt). jWe will make them love us and be devoted to us religiously Eventually they will do anything we say and we'll have an army of hardened elves or mages or whatever. We'll have followers who rock.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 09:24:04 pm by Transcendant »

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2016, 09:13:55 pm »

(Get ourselves into a position where we end up founding a religion we are the head of and object of worship. We lead with a carrot not a stick, although we do have sticks.... Work our way into being the God Dragon of these elves with their devotion to us being intense. In time, rule alongside the magocracy, and perhaps eventually have them doing our will, but that last part comes much much later though).

"Well met Magocrat Nisem of House llveren. I am Erorua the Illustrious Life Dragon. Your people's plight and pains are known to me, and my presence purges pain.

Your food crops and fertility may flourish. Your sicknesses and pains be forgotten. This I can do.
I am the High Dragon Mother. Come under the protection of my scales, shelter beneath my wings.

Build unto me a temple. Bring unto me devotion, I shall give the worthy devoted abundance, health and life."

A Temple Lair where we may receive proper devotion and eventually worship, to build a religion around us in a place of esteem.

This temple lair must have an audience chamber where we may receive both general devotion and specifically to see the sick that we may administer healing to them.
As time passes, we will increase our temple lair's size and function and all shall come to worship us, and eventually our offspring and priests of our religion (of which we are the head).

We are the High Dragon Mother, ours is the way of life. We don't say it now, but eventually we want to be in control of these elves, and they will love us because we give them lots of things and protect them / expand our brood. They will adore us and if need be fight and die for us. Our brood shall grow.

We wish the right of devotion to us by the people, which they will willingly give once the realize our skill with healing and our benefit to their livelihood / crops. They will love and eventually worship us.

If we require food, then we will require that, though it will be much easier to produce food with us around.

"Offer" the elves our assistance with their livilihood problems to grow their way out of it. We control these things and determine how they are administered....

It goes without saying that we are free to do whatever we please. We are on a level at least equal to the ruling class, perhaps above, but let's not press the point. In time, our devoted people may do that for us.

We're healing their sick, helping their crops and protecting them / teaching them to protect themselves. Building our religion strengthening them.

Do we NEED anything? Do we eat? Do we sleep? Are there any requirements biologically imposed upon us. Basically let's have these elves become religiously devoted to us in exchange for giving them things we're good at giving. In time, we become their God with a place they love us for occupying. (They'll never betray their awesome dragon god who helps them. A loyal, well fed population doesn't revolt). jWe will make them love us and be devoted to us religiously Eventually they will do anything we say and we'll have an army of hardened elves or mages or whatever. We'll have followers who rock.

+1 to this. Pretty funny, as I was thinking of going the religion route as well. Nothing like a bunch of religious fanatics willing to fight and die for you.

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2016, 09:16:16 pm »

O I've been on that route from the beginning when I Thought High Elves would be better. This is different but works. It's still "I will heal you all and give you food and abundance if you worship me."

We're building a religion we're going to head. We need priests too (see the original post which is being worked on). Who wants to learn healing and crop greatness from the freaking life dragon?

Any fool can scare people into following them. It's as if peasants are afraid of nothing more than the threat of harm and then the actual harm itself.

No no no, we want WORSHIP. You have to make people love you for that. We're all about being able to give things that will make people love our miracles.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 09:28:40 pm by Transcendant »

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2016, 09:48:06 pm »

Yes, the problem with loyalty based on fear is, the moment we are vulnerable or lacking power, our subjects will turn on us. Also, can dragons mate with elves? I can't imagine it would fit. Perhaps it will be magic insemination or something?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 09:50:05 pm by vishdafish »

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2016, 10:18:00 pm »

Wait, we exterminated a necromantic cult instead of interrogating/allying with them so that we could master both life and (un)death? What kind of a mad scientist dragon are we?!

I'd actually prefer us to be a political ruler instead of a religious one (as religions tend to be twisted and bent by manipulative people as soon as their true prophets die), but I guess being a god is okay.

We can't exactly demand to have priests and expect them to pop out of the ground, though. Perhaps after we perform enough deeds, we will gain priests. Let's skip out on having priests for now.

We don't need to waste the Dark Elves' resources by having them build us a temple- we can create a temple out of mutated fungi.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2016, 01:44:11 am »

Agreed, -1 on the temple and divinity angle. That can come in time, feel free to speak in verse and cite your powers from beyond their mortal comprehension, and if they ask, then claim all the divinity that you want, but walking up and telling them that you are a god seems like it will either be difficult and pointless at first because they are areligious or create an instant opposition from their present religions...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2016, 02:36:49 am »

So no temple lair, (living space) and no priests (extra devoted followers)? Without those....

What exactly are we asking for?

Where do we live?

Mutated fungi? We're going to create a whole new building material?

What necromantic cult are you talking about?
Mastering life and undeath? Life dragon....
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 02:39:56 am by Transcendant »

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2016, 04:57:45 am »

Proposal:

Let's not go Godhood yet.

What do we want?
Allies, protection while we sleep, a heavily respected voice in politics and general decisions. Whatever land this community holds will be considered our territory with the implications that implies. A regular tribute of some sort would also be appreciated, though it need not be expensive. Something to show that our presence is appreciated.

Necromancy shall not be tolerated. Those who practice it are given one chance to cease and such is a great mercy from us. If such magics occur that resemble such atrocity, they shall cease and be reviewed by us to be dealt with at our discretion.

If it is found to not be relating to Necromancy, then it will most likely be allowed to continue with supervision.

What position and rights?
Respected Advisor. Signficant decision making power in regards to if this community goes to war. We also want attendees, a secure and private place to rest and store whatever valuables we acquire, and freedom to do as we please in response to those who seek to interact with us. If a being of power on a similar scale to us interacts with this community, we will have the first and last word on matters involving such beings.

What we offer?
Our very presence will increase food yields, general health, and fertility. We will also offer 1 Act per 4 years devoted specifically to the progression of this community and its health in addition to whatever other Acts we decide to enact for your benefit. Most if not all who come to us for healing and aid will most likely receive it, though it is our prerogative to not provide it as our whim. If conflict occurs, military or otherwise, we will aid in the interest of keeping our home safe. Where this community lays claim to will be considered our territory, with the protection that brings.

______

We're probably not going to shake things up too much politically, at least at the moment. We apparently have no idea what religious system these people have nor their general ideas about dragons (beyond don't immediately piss them off) so trying to set ourselves up as a god figure probably won't work out very well. The above system gives us power over the community, a space to sleep and store our stuff, a guarantee to the deep elves that we're going to be of aid to them while not changing things too drastically for those in power (for now), and a lot of flexibility of action.

It might be seen as we're asking for a lot (regular tribute, control in matters domestic and foreign, people to do stuff for us, etc) or not enough (compared to godhood) but we're a Dragon. What we offer is worth what little we ask for.

What necromantic cult are you talking about?
In the second box of the last update, one is briefly mentioned.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2016, 08:20:00 am »

Dude, that was a "necromatic coven," and it was mentioned in the OTHER elves we weren't going to try to dominate or have as subjects:

"... searching for possible subjects-to-be. While you have encountered several tribes which initially met your criteria, one or the other observation, revealed them to be unsuited for your plans.Too mighty, too small, politically doomed, why, one of them even had a necromatic coven!"

Those aren't the ones we're dealing with. Those are other elves, and probably some we're going to end up having to contend with and maybe fight against. That was listed as a reason we wanted nothing to do with them as a life dragon.

Hybrid plan: The compromise

Let's be a political and religious figure: theocracy!

We'll have influence with the government and the people's souls (religious devotion). We'll start performing miracles of healing and crop increases.

Ultimately, these elves aren't stupid.
-Better crops / food, better livelihoods.
-More healing magic and less sickness.
-Healthier stronger people who can be trained as soldiers for defense.
-A freaking dragon around protecting you from others
-Possibly other benefits

In return,
-Respect,
-Good position
-Devotion / Some kind of tribute
-Some kind of appropriate housing (temple or lair or whatever) befitting a dragon like us.
-Maybe some followers who love us for our deeds and gifts?

This is basically the best thing that's ever happened to these elves. Imagine playing DF and a dragon comes and is like "Hey, I'm gonna give you lots of stuff, just be awesome to me. Also, if anything comes around, I'll fly around and breathe obliteration on them to protect you while guiding your troops."

The answer I'd give is, "Yes please and thank you Toady for including that awesome feature."
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 09:25:04 am by Transcendant »

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2016, 08:27:33 am »

The necromantic coven is dead anyways. I think we exterminated it on our journey. "Needless to say, the past tense wording was very accurate in regards to that last one."

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2016, 09:22:25 am »

We are the High Dragon Mother, ours is the way of life. We don't say it now, but eventually we want to be in control of these elves, and they will love us because we give them lots of things and protect them / expand our brood. They will adore us and if need be fight and die for us. Our brood shall grow.

+1 to this. Pretty funny, as I was thinking of going the religion route as well. Nothing like a bunch of religious fanatics willing to fight and die for you.

+1

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2016, 10:14:01 am »

+1
+1
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2016, 12:35:32 pm »

PTW.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2016, 12:57:41 pm »

I'm like 90% sure coven and cult are being used interchangeably. I honestly see no practical difference as neither are specific size wise and the related parties are dead.

My Necromancy response in my thing was mostly for RP as our character and possibly most dragons have a loathing of such magical arts apparently.

My suggestion was basically in response to
What exactly are we asking for?

Where do we live?
this and to provide a different option for those who didn't want to go the religious route but didn't have the time/energy to come up with something else.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 11, 2016, 02:12:38 pm »

Have a small, but relevant-to-current-discussions loredump, while I get to work on the turn proper.
(I don't like to make promises I am unlikely to keep, so~ turn tomorrow. With a slight chance of today. Yep, that sounds about right.)

Either way, votes are locked in until further notice~

I originally planned on fleshing these out for the second post, but decided it wasn't really relevant nor needed. Well, up till now, that is.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6