Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Suicide Baby  (Read 3512 times)

CrundleHorn

• Bay Watcher
  • CrundleHorn
    • View Profile
Suicide Baby
« on: August 03, 2016, 12:01:37 pm »

I have a child who was born in my fort worshiping only one god, a random human god of suicide. How is it possible that he doesn't venerate the dwarven pantheon? It's not even a god from the human civilization that my expedition is familiar with, it's from one that I've never heard of. Anyways, thank you Dwarf Fortress for the grim-dark imagery of a toddler, fated to die, who worships a god of suicide. He will probably grow up to be a dwarven goth or something.
CrundleHorn

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Suicide Baby
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 01:16:13 pm »

Yes, that's rather odd, since children normally adopt the gods of their mothers and then optionally adds one on top of that (and as far as I've seen, the additional god has always been a dwarven one). Does the mother worship any god(s)? I don't think I've seen any dorf that doesn't.

Lordhermitcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 01:33:25 pm »

Make him the leader of a military squad when it he grows up. He will be the ultimate fearless leader and fight endlessly, uncaring about who lives or dies.
THE CONCRETE IS ON FIRE

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 02:35:42 pm »

Maybe the mother worships no god, or the mother worships that same god?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

CrundleHorn

• Bay Watcher
  • CrundleHorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 01:27:16 am »

So the parents are both really young dwarves, only sixteen years old, and the mother is an atheist that was a former member of the human civilization in question. Even more curious now I guess. I didn't know dwarves could join a human civ, leave, then join a dwarven civ again.
CrundleHorn

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 02:34:00 am »

So the parents are both really young dwarves, only sixteen years old, and the mother is an atheist that was a former member of the human civilization in question. Even more curious now I guess. I didn't know dwarves could join a human civ, leave, then join a dwarven civ again.

Ya historical figures are very active now. I had a migrant, who was not a vampire but was 180 years old, who used to be a member of 12 different civs. The dude got around.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 06:00:47 am »

Could have been necromancer who never got to build a tower, perhaps? I think dwarves normally go only to 160 years of age, and you can't receive elves or goblins as migrants.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 12:27:07 pm »

Interesting. So she's an atheist, but had knowledge of a different pantheon, and therefore it considered those gods as well when her children were born.

Dwarf Science!
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2016, 07:08:59 am »

Could have been necromancer who never got to build a tower, perhaps? I think dwarves normally go only to 160 years of age, and you can't receive elves or goblins as migrants.

They don't immediately drop dead when they hit their MAXAGE. There is a percent chance they will die of old age every year once they hit the mark. He was just a normal dwarf. A really old normal dwarf who changed civs like other dwarves drink wine.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2016, 11:06:54 am »

Interesting. So she's an atheist, but had knowledge of a different pantheon, and therefore it considered those gods as well when her children were born.

Dwarf Science!

Dorfthropology.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2016, 11:22:33 am »

They don't immediately drop dead when they hit their MAXAGE. There is a percent chance they will die of old age every year once they hit the mark. He was just a normal dwarf. A really old normal dwarf who changed civs like other dwarves drink wine.
Isn't the MAXAGE for dwarves only 120 though?
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2016, 11:33:15 am »

Could its beliefs in a human god of suicide just reflect a shared opinion that humans should die? ;)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2016, 11:45:18 am »

Suicide Baby sounds like a pretty good band name.

Checking the raws I have for 43.03, the MAXAGE for dwarves has a range of 150 to 170.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2016, 09:55:33 pm »

Suicide Baby sounds like a pretty good band name.

Checking the raws I have for 43.03, the MAXAGE for dwarves has a range of 150 to 170.
Weird. Toady must have upped it at some point.

I admit, it's been a while since I played properly.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2016, 10:51:03 pm »

Weird. Toady must have upped it at some point.

I admit, it's been a while since I played properly.
It's always been 150-170. You're probably thinking of humans.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 10:52:34 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?