Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kea Men and newly Tree-Dwelling Dwarves  (Read 1367 times)

Tinfect

• Bay Watcher
  • Want an Orange?
    • View Profile
Kea Men and newly Tree-Dwelling Dwarves
« on: August 03, 2016, 01:04:05 am »

So, I've been suddenly beset by about a half-dozen Kea Men. First I head of them was when one took off with something that everyone was too lazy to grab out of the Depot. Then about every single goddamn dwarf on the surface interrupted their orders because of some Bird People flying several levels above them.

Next thing I know, a good number of my Dwarves are idling. Turns out, they'd all got stuck up Trees.
What in all the nine-hells is going on here? Can Kea Men throw Dwarves up trees or something?
Wizard one casts a Spell, Wizard two casts a Counterspell. Wizard one casts another Spell, Wizard two casts another Counterspell. Army comes along and chops 'em both up.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Kea Men and newly Tree-Dwelling Dwarves
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 01:09:03 am »

Nah. Dwarves may climb up trees when afraid.

While they can climb down trees sometimes, frequently they won't, opting instead to dehydrate there due different pathing between "fight mode" that allows things such as jumping out of fortification and satisfying needs.

Build some up and down stairs or wall+ramps to let them get down.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 03:14:27 am »

The best way to get away from a flying threat is obviously to climb a tree...

As Fleeting Frames said, build stairs and/or ramps. If you're in a hurry because of dehydration you can use the option to cut the trees down instead (unless the woodcutter is up there, but you can probably designate the tree up at the level where he is). Cutting the trees down is faster (and should be done regardless), but there's a risk the dorfs in the trees get injured or killed in the process, typically not from the fall, but from the logs using Road Runner anvil logic.

Tinfect

• Bay Watcher
  • Want an Orange?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 03:41:43 am »

Thanks for the suggestions, I managed to get most of the Dwarves down from their single-layer-up roosts by just cutting the tree from underneath them. I had to set up a Staircase for him.
Wizard one casts a Spell, Wizard two casts a Counterspell. Wizard one casts another Spell, Wizard two casts another Counterspell. Army comes along and chops 'em both up.

MorsDux

• Bay Watcher
  • If you only have a hammer, all problems seem nails
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 04:54:34 pm »

you can disable climbing in creatures_standard.raw :
   [CANNOT_CLIMB]

it will help you by not getting your dwarves on trees all the time and also not letting your marksdwarves climb through fortifications to meet the enemy hand to hand.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 05:08:26 pm »

you can disable climbing in creatures_standard.raw :
   [CANNOT_CLIMB]

it will help you by not getting your dwarves on trees all the time and also not letting your marksdwarves climb through fortifications to meet the enemy hand to hand.

Also I think it is more dorfy if they cannot climb