Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 48

Author Topic: Mind Reading Mafia Game Over, No One Won.  (Read 94204 times)

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
Re: Mind Reading Mafia (11/11) Day 1
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2016, 04:58:03 pm »

Yes. I have 7 powers, but I cannot use them all at once. How many do you have?
One. Which is why I consider your claim... just... wow. If you're town, I don't think you should have claimed that(you might have just made yourself a target). Are you town?
I am town. I thought that everybody would have several powers. I can only use 1 a night, and I don't know why I would ever use some of them. 2 of them that I don't see any reason why I would use is to edit 3 of my posts during the night (I assume Fillipk will ask Meph to change it) and I can edit my own posts in prior days. I don't know what is so good about editing posts, so I doubt I'd use them. I guess I did put a target on my own back, I assumed falsly that everybody had multiple.

"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: Mind Reading Mafia (11/11) Day 1 Looking for a replacement.
« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2016, 06:43:42 pm »

Seven. Seven. Seven. Seven. Seven. Seven. Seven.
Seven Powers.

I think you'll excuse me if I'm not sure about believing you're telling the truth.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2016, 07:08:40 pm »

Seven Powers.

I think you'll excuse me if I'm not sure about believing you're telling the truth.
I realize that now that everybody else said they have 1-2 powers. I don't know why I have 7, but I assumed everybody else had around that many too. I am telling the truth, I do have seven powers.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2016, 09:36:30 pm »

Seven Powers.

FallacyOfUrist, what is it about having seven powers that you find so hard to believe? Roles with that number of powers - basically JOATS - aren't uncommon in mafia games.

Also, why aren't you voting if you're suspicious?
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2016, 10:38:11 pm »

If OSG indicated that his powers were shotted, I wouldn't be so skeptical. But he's done nothing of the sort.

Why I'm not voting? I don't think scum would try something that risky. Seems more like he's either town or third party to me. For the moment.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2016, 11:03:29 pm »

My abilities are not shotted, but I can only use 1 per night.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2016, 11:35:24 pm »

Going on vacation for the next few days.  Activity will be limited.

Wasn't there another person other than you who did mention being able to do that?
Tiruin: Not that I recall.

@FoU: seems to me the best way to speed up the day would be to scumhunt.
juicebox: Can you demonstrate your method?

Jack A T: If the scum didn't already know of it, then you just gave them a potentially useful strategy in the stealth hammer. Why would you risk that?
Fallacy: It's not that hard a strategy to think of.  All of the components are public knowledge, and most of it has been actively discussed already.  Scum works as a team, generally, and collectively tries to figure out how to win.  If scum didn't already have the idea, they would very likely have it by LYLO.  That being said, we would not know whether scum had it until/unless they tried it.
By bringing it up, we can collectively know it, know that the scum knows it, know to be prepared for it, and feel comfortable and justified in preparing for it.  Potential harm minimized.  Benefits outweigh cost.

I do notice your tone here.  If you're concerned about scum gaining vote-editing strategies, why ask for them?  Did you intend to ask this of anyone who gave a significant answer to your request for scum strategies?

Seven Powers.
Heh.  TDS is right: This is an odd jab.  Not really for the reasons he gives, though.  The main reason is simple: why on earth would he lie about this?  What strategic reason would OSG, as any alignment, have to say they have seven powers when they really have 1-3 or so?  You rightly say scum probably wouldn't try something this risky, but it's not just risk: where's the reward?  Your logic seems to just be "it's weird, so it's a lie."

However, what's really interesting here is how you hold back.  You accuse, but you don't fully accuse: throw big bold text around in utter disbelief, say seven over and over again in utter disbelief, then pull back with minimizing words of mere unsureness.  You do not dig either, stopping at asking for OSG's alignment and repeating that he claimed to have seven powers.  No vote either, and you're seriously considering a no lynch vote.  You throw your punch but stop an inch from his nose.

Thing is, you've been pulling your punches the whole day.  Not only with one of the oddest not-quite-attacks I've ever seen (the threatening but self-minimizing shot at the RVS votes of TDS and I), but even with your vote, a simple jab for lurker-lynching that you haven't followed up on and are unwilling to commit to (you're seriously considering a no lynch, though even that you're holding back on).

This isn't just flailing, Fallacy.  It's noncommittal flailing.

Do you think OSG is more likely town than third party?  Which is better: a third party lynch or no lynch?  What are your thoughts on your juicebox vote?  Why consider a no lynch?

We need to get people voting, otherwise this day won't ever end.
Does anyone have any ideas?
TDS: This seems awfully lazy.  No idea of who to vote, but no probing questions either.  Just asking for suggestions, basically.  Why this approach?
I have the ability to edit any of my posts even in earlier days. I'm still not sure why I would want to do that though.
OSG: What made you decide to reveal this?
TheDarkStar and origamiscienceguy: Respond, please.  I know the TDS bit is a bit outdated, but still.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2016, 11:39:31 pm »

Spoiler: big quote (click to show/hide)

I decided to reveal that to try to get people talking about the purpose of text editing. So far it has been inconclusive. I still can't see a reason to edit text by myself or from anybody else.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2016, 11:54:50 pm »

I decided to reveal that to try to get people talking about the purpose of text editing.
OSG: Alright.  What do you feel your claim adds to the discussion, particularly considering my earlier claim?
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 22, 2016, 12:35:53 am »

Tiruin: Top scum pick?
None at the moment. My playstyle isn't in ranking people ordinately, so that may also be a factor. ._.

Thing is, I see people softclaiming all around (at least 2 people in memory anyway).
OSG Is there any purpose of this other than to strike up chat?

TMS Why're you claiming in vague sentences?

DA This sounds like a leading question, but what does the wording of the first sentence mean? It feels connected to something--I might've missed it but it sounds like you're implying you can flip but still play?

FoU Why is everyone giving out their number?

Ok seriously, not just 2.
Why are y'all giving out the # of your powers o_O

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 22, 2016, 07:51:21 am »

Well, I asked them to, I thought that everybody would have a reasonable amount of powers, but turns out I am the only one it seems.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 22, 2016, 09:10:56 am »

Seven non-shotted powers.
I really wish I was a truthteller.
In any case, does that seem in any way realistic to anybody other than OSG?

Jack A T: If the scum didn't already know of it, then you just gave them a potentially useful strategy in the stealth hammer. Why would you risk that?
Fallacy: It's not that hard a strategy to think of.  All of the components are public knowledge, and most of it has been actively discussed already.  Scum works as a team, generally, and collectively tries to figure out how to win.  If scum didn't already have the idea, they would very likely have it by LYLO.  That being said, we would not know whether scum had it until/unless they tried it.
By bringing it up, we can collectively know it, know that the scum knows it, know to be prepared for it, and feel comfortable and justified in preparing for it.  Potential harm minimized. Benefits outweigh cost.

I do notice your tone here.  If you're concerned about scum gaining vote-editing strategies, why ask for them?  Did you intend to ask this of anyone who gave a significant answer to your request for scum strategies?

Seven Powers.
Heh.  TDS is right: This is an odd jab.  Not really for the reasons he gives, though.  The main reason is simple: why on earth would he lie about this?  What strategic reason would OSG, as any alignment, have to say they have seven powers when they really have 1-3 or so?  You rightly say scum probably wouldn't try something this risky, but it's not just risk: where's the reward?  Your logic seems to just be "it's weird, so it's a lie."

However, what's really interesting here is how you hold back.  You accuse, but you don't fully accuse: throw big bold text around in utter disbelief, say seven over and over again in utter disbelief, then pull back with minimizing words of mere unsureness.  You do not dig either, stopping at asking for OSG's alignment and repeating that he claimed to have seven powers.  No vote either, and you're seriously considering a no lynch vote.  You throw your punch but stop an inch from his nose.

Thing is, you've been pulling your punches the whole day.  Not only with one of the oddest not-quite-attacks I've ever seen (the threatening but self-minimizing shot at the RVS votes of TDS and I), but even with your vote, a simple jab for lurker-lynching that you haven't followed up on and are unwilling to commit to (you're seriously considering a no lynch, though even that you're holding back on).

This isn't just flailing, Fallacy.  It's noncommittal flailing.

Do you think OSG is more likely town than third party?  Which is better: a third party lynch or no lynch?  What are your thoughts on your juicebox vote?  Why consider a no lynch?

Green point one: Sure, I agree with you now on that point. Makes sense.
Response to green question one: I wasn't concerned with scum gaining vote-editing strategies... until after I asked that question.
Response to green question two: No. See above.
Response to green question three: To draw attention. And if he was scum, to pull a refuge in audacity.
Green point two: Argument based on... tone. Uh huh.
Pink-green point three: could it be true? Yes. Do I consider it likely when those else who have claimed number of powers have claimed... far less than seven? No. Maybe if somebody else claimed a huge number of powers...
Green point four... yes, it is. I hope to fix that now.
Green salvo of questions, lowest part of the quote:
~More likely town than third party. Well, I can see reasons for either town or third party to fake claim seven powers. Consider jesters and martyrs, and consider vanilla townies who are trying to draw attention onto themselves so that scum kills them and not any actual power role. So... bout equal, right now.
~Which is better... third party lynch. Nets us much more information and reactions than a no lynch. But you know what's even better? Scum lynch!
~juicebox vote... no longer valid, and not really applying pressure. Unvote.
~Why consider a no lynch? Well, if it looked like the day would be getting into a state of perpetuity(lasting a really, really long time), then I would push for a no lynch in order to just get it over with. Thankfully, this shouldn't really be a possibility on any day but day one. Because afterwards... we have HISTORY to use. And night stuff.
~~~
So how about I ask some more questions?
Jack A T: Please construct an argument from my perspective on why you and TDS are the scum team.
Jack A T, TheDarkStar: If you have not given out the number of your powers, please do so.
TheDarkStar: Do you think that from my perspective, it might be a bit suspicious that you and Jack have echoed each other's votes?
Origamiscienceguy: Any chance some of those powers you have are negative auto abilities? Might make it a little more believable if they were...

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 22, 2016, 12:18:39 pm »

Spoiler: giant quote (click to show/hide)

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 22, 2016, 04:16:29 pm »

Tiruin,: It was a response to this:

Deus Asmoth: If you had a 1-shot self revive, would you play more riskily as town?
Define 'riskily'. I'd probably try to imply some kind of protect or inspect to draw a kill, but I doubt it'd change my day game much. Getting intentionally mislynched just to revive would be a bit pointless, after all.
I have two powers... Both night actives.

Deus Asmoth: If you had a 1-shot self revive, would you play more riskily as town?
Define 'riskily'. I'd probably try to imply some kind of protect or inspect to draw a kill, but I doubt it'd change my day game much. Getting intentionally mislynched just to revive would be a bit pointless, after all.
How do you think people are likely to respond to seeing you revive?
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 22, 2016, 04:30:21 pm »

oops. Messed up the formatting. Here it is again.
Spoiler: giant quote (click to show/hide)

There is a 12.65% chance that some of my powers are negative auto abilities [/sarcasm]

None of mine are autos. They are straight up powers. I revealed two of them (the ones that I don't see any reason for me to use)

The rest of them there is at least a small chance I would use them, so I would prefer not to reveal them.
[/quote]
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 48