Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 48

Author Topic: Mind Reading Mafia Game Over, No One Won.  (Read 94165 times)

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
Re: Mind Reading Mafia (11/11) Day 1
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2016, 02:52:44 pm »

I have the ability to edit any of my posts even in earlier days. I'm still not sure why I would want to do that though.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2016, 08:08:23 pm »

FoU is there any reason for your select archiving? You posting about it can be edited in itself; I'm screen cap'ing everyone because I can. :3
Also standing by my editing-query, where are the answers, people? Only have Jack, TMS, and OSG.
Cause I'm too lazy to go through the process of taking screenshots of posts, uploading them to an image hosting site, then linking them here.

My response to your editing query: I don't intend to edit my posts. I don't see a use for it.
~~~
Now I'm getting curious: why would post editing be a mechanic?
~~~
~~~
Everybody: what uses can you see for a post editing power...
as town?
as mafia?
as a cult leader?
as some other third party?
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2016, 09:19:53 pm »

The only thing I can think of is that a certain number of post edits is required for an ability or something. That is why if anybody has a reason why they need to edit, they should say it now, otherwise editing will be seen as a scummy action.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
Re: Mind Reading Mafia (11/11) Starting Now
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2016, 09:20:42 pm »

Votecount:

Griffinpup (2) - Jack A.T.,  TheDarkStar
FallacyofUrist (1) - Tiruin
TheMoonlitShadow (1) - Oragamiscienceguy

6 to hammer

« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 09:22:46 pm by fillipk »
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2016, 05:07:24 pm »

FoU is there any reason for your select archiving? You posting about it can be edited in itself; I'm screen cap'ing everyone because I can. :3
Also standing by my editing-query, where are the answers, people? Only have Jack, TMS, and OSG.
Cause I'm too lazy to go through the process of taking screenshots of posts, uploading them to an image hosting site, then linking them here.

My response to your editing query: I don't intend to edit my posts. I don't see a use for it.

This doesn't actually answer what Tiruin's original question seems to be; i.e., what are the reasons for you choosing the posts that you are to quote? Because it seems pretty random so far.

Now I'm getting curious: why would post editing be a mechanic?
~~~
~~~
as town?
as mafia?
as a cult leader?
- As town I suppose there's some potential gambit activity. A cop could edit their inspection results into one of their posts at the start of a day as insurance in case they get night killed, for example. Though this would be a risk based on how likely they think scum are to archive I guess.
- I think scum are the least likely to edit posts in this game. It's looking like it could be close to grounds for a policy lynch to edit a post for no reason, so it'd be a bigger risk than I'd think scum would be likely to take.
- Third parties could have any number of reasons to edit posts. If this is anything like the Mindscape game that Meph ran, there could be someone with a wincon that relies on post edits.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2016, 07:21:31 pm »

Post editing can also be used to mess with people heads and to make them wonder what the post originally said.

DA: Does the fact that this post was edited bother you?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 07:29:14 pm by TheDarkStar »
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2016, 08:35:54 am »

This doesn't actually answer what Tiruin's original question seems to be; i.e., what are the reasons for you choosing the posts that you are to quote? Because it seems pretty random so far.
Mm. Significance. Posts of importance. In my eyes.
Or just randomly.

I have the ability to edit any of my posts even in earlier days. I'm still not sure why I would want to do that though.
Significant.

Especially because it helps to indicate that editing is likely going to be important in some way we don't understand yet.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2016, 09:29:31 am »

Hum. Day 1 and some people are making fishy posts. Fishy in the sense that they're testing the waters with some of their ideas and directing it to a sample few instead of us all. Is this one effect of no deadline? Maybe.

Or just randomly.
Clarify please?
There's an unspoken 'why' at the end of that--why are they important in your eyes, for example.

as town?
as mafia?
as a cult leader?
I don't see any tie into alignment more than a tie to the player using it. As in, it depends to the individual in my eyes :O (I won't edit any of mine unless forced, and y'all will know if there is no icon change :P I think I'm cheesing the figurative, possible, system that I've no idea about!)

This is going to be a loooooong day with 6 to hammer.
And few are prodding the people. So let me prod a hypothetical:
Everyone: Thoughts about hammering one person so we can get more info at the moment? I'm ok myself for being that target although my role and flavor isn't really that useful at all.
HEY THERE ARE NO RULES IN THE OP ABOUT IT O_O (ok, assuming vanilla rules, I'm more saying 'there's no rules on direct copying from PM, but obviously not quoting fillipk + that :v)
fillipk: Do we have your word that the rules in the OP are crystal clear as it is? As in, no implications drawn out other than what is said?

juicebox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2016, 10:42:56 am »

If griffinpup doesn't show soon I wouldn't be averse to hammering him, otherwise, I'd prefer to wait a little longer.

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2016, 12:08:28 pm »

fillipk: Do we have your word that the rules in the OP are crystal clear as it is? As in, no implications drawn out other than what is said?
Yes
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2016, 04:41:21 pm »

We need to get people voting, otherwise this day won't ever end.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2016, 05:59:40 pm »

If griffinpup doesn't show soon I wouldn't be averse to hammering him, otherwise, I'd prefer to wait a little longer.

juicebox, is that a lurker lynch policy I detect? You'd rather lynch somebody who hasn't given any information up than lynch someone who was actually behaving scummy?
~~~
Or just randomly.
Clarify please?
There's an unspoken 'why' at the end of that--why are they important in your eyes, for example.

Things that scum might want to erase. Their own role claims. Things that I want to see anchored. "No, you can't take that back, I'm gonna use that."

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
Re: Mind Reading Mafia (11/11) Starting Now
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2016, 06:27:15 pm »

It makes me extremely suspicious of you, to say the least, due to your particular power.
Can you explain why my power, and my actions surrounding my power, make you feel that way?
I can't feasibly see a reason why a town member would need the ability to edit their own posts at night while the rest of the town can presumably only do so during the day. It makes me suspicious.
juicebox, is that a lurker lynch policy I detect? You'd rather lynch somebody who hasn't given any information up than lynch someone who was actually behaving scummy?
Well, if they get lynched D1, they'll give up nearly all the information they have... right?
In all seriousness, the risk is about the same, since mathematically in a standard setup ( which I certainly believe this is close to since we haven't lost D1 ) we're more likely to hit a non mafia member than a mafia member.  I assume that investigators and the like would keep an eye on scummy players.

juicebox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2016, 06:32:48 pm »

@Fallacy I'd rather lynch an inactive rather than someone who might still be able contribute. Of course if there was someone who looked scummy I would lynch them over someone who was inactive, however, there isn't really anybody looking very scummy to me at the moment, and we can all agree that inactives don't really help the town.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2016, 07:51:06 pm »

as town?
as mafia?
as a cult leader?
Fallacy:
*As town: Without associated mechanics, I don't see any legitimate use.  It is likely that some other mechanic exists that makes post-editing useful (powers working through quotes was one idea).
*As non-town: One dangerous way it may be used: the stealth hammer.  In a long enough day, with enough posts that nobody really wants to skim for edits, a hammer could be snuck in through an edit.  Bold and red what wasn't bold and red before and hope nobody notices for six hours.  Risky, but at LYLO, it could give scum the game.

I can't feasibly see a reason why a town member would need the ability to edit their own posts at night while the rest of the town can presumably only do so during the day. It makes me suspicious.
BHK: I'll take it, then, that you dismiss the idea that other (as of yet unknown) powers may give reason for editing?  Also, thoughts on OSG's claim to be able to edit posts from prior days?
In all seriousness, the risk is about the same, since mathematically in a standard setup ( which I certainly believe this is close to since we haven't lost D1 ) we're more likely to hit a non mafia member than a mafia member.
A side note: in practice, our D1 scumhunting catches non-town quite a bit more often than random lynches would.

juicebox: Surely we don't have to speak of hammering an inactive player who hasn't even been prodded yet?

Everyone: Thoughts about hammering one person so we can get more info at the moment? I'm ok myself for being that target although my role and flavor isn't really that useful at all.
HEY THERE ARE NO RULES IN THE OP ABOUT IT O_O (ok, assuming vanilla rules, I'm more saying 'there's no rules on direct copying from PM, but obviously not quoting fillipk + that :v)
Tiruin: Three things:
*I'd really rather not hammer purely for information.  I don't expect us to have many opportunities to hammer scum.  Let's make them count and take out the scummy (and gain info as we do so).
*Why raise the info lynch possibility right now?
*There is a rule in the OP against quoting your role PM.

We need to get people voting, otherwise this day won't ever end.
Does anyone have any ideas?
TDS: This seems awfully lazy.  No idea of who to vote, but no probing questions either.  Just asking for suggestions, basically.  Why this approach?

OSG: What made you decide to reveal this?

fillipk: Please prod griffinpup.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 48