Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 26

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia LX: The Noisome Nine - Scum Win!  (Read 43877 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia LX: The Sickening Six - Day 3
« Reply #255 on: September 11, 2016, 08:08:39 pm »

Day 3

Votes

vishdafish - origamiscienceguy (1)
Kilojoule Proton - LARD (1)
LARD -
origamisciencyguy - vishdafish, Kilojoule Proton (2)
Imic -
Tiruin -

No Lynch -

Extensions (1 remaining) - 0/2 -

Shortens - 0/3 -

Day 3 will end at 2pm on Wednesday, or 65 hours, 55 minutes.

Edit 'cause I gave the wrong time remaining.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 08:16:02 pm by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 13, 2016, 11:41:22 am »

Well.

You all need to be prodded.

26 hours left.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 13, 2016, 12:24:32 pm »

Still think Vinshdafish is scummy.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 13, 2016, 12:35:15 pm »

I still think you are scummy.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 13, 2016, 06:45:30 pm »

My activity is BLUH lately :'(
But exams are over--thesis is still running. Teneb, I need a bit of help here ._.

Going to be a mix of IC and otherwise, so have a player-written post by Tiruin.

This is a good example of a wall of text. While 'walls of text' usually describe someone writing down their thoughts--they aren't generally a problem unless busy-ness or otherwise is in a person's background as they typed it. My wall of text here has the context of content...to make up for my absence ._.
In quoting anything from a wall of text, you can easily put a person's name and "quote "
Code: [Select]
[quote][/quote] the text by copy-pasting it. Or go the long way and directly quote their post, delete the unneeded portions, and have it as a nice quote with link to their post.

Moving for an extension.
...Moreso because this isn't the quality I'd expect for many of you to survive vanilla games in communicating with other people in making persuasive arguments or discussion.

Just because we have ONE scum down leaving ONE scum left does not entail ANYONE to be more lax, to be less active, or to construct their talks to others like 'I think you're scummy. *VOTE*"

In making a post--this is the information you're giving to other people. This is your voice in talking to other people, albeit through text. Forum mafia differs this way in that your post can NOT be edited (unless it states otherwise in the OP/first post of the thread by the GM/Mod), and that this will be taken as your words towards the situation present: A post is your voice. Your voice cannot be found lacking; it can be in brevity, but it must have content for anyone to actually scumhunt purposively, or effectively. You cannot ascertain a TOWN win if you vote blindly just because 'I think they're scummy'. You put the reasoning behind it so other people can make sense of your thoughts, like putting an invisible 'why' at the end of your ideas.
Why I'm telling you all this is to encourage personal development. If any of you wish to play the day-game well, which is Town's best motive and tool (because they're all about information), you've to communicate just as well--even if it is to the person you have voted, if you do not think that you've done enough to be sure anyone else gets the substance of your vote.

Like for example: If you thus believe that random lynching is a good idea--or whomever you have voted is really scum, you've to talk about it rather than just leaving your vote on it. If in doubt of a person or if you've got suspicion on them, ask instead of attack, especially in the early days. Every bit of social communication etiquette in reality applies to any game, as games entail figurative or role-based realities. One of the main principles in playing a Mafia game is sticking to your wincon, just like Asimov's rules of Robotics, they cannot be argued against because they have a context that matters holistically in a sense, for a purpose or result to be achieved.

I've written things to people in spoilers, but in BMs, it is good to take IC's and generally other players' commentaries to each other/other people who aren't you, as a point of learning. You can learn or sharpen how you communicate in a way by watching other people. Basically the adage of "Myself in your boots/shoes/place" thinking, as I do believe many people spending their time playing Mafia online do have time to think about other people when playing the game. :P You can even look at other games or other BMs (check the notable games area) to see how other people communicate if you yourself may feel that you've places to improve in.

Town will never win games if they aren't proactive, and since Mafia generally wish to look town, game mechanics just like any game such as these move to improve personal characteristics or skills such as awareness, empathy, and communication. You work with other people in making decisions, choices, and your own personal mindset in facing similar situations in the future that deal with the main themes being presented--which in Mafia, means communication.
Sometimes you'll probably feel anxious because you're being lynched, don't take it personally or against you, even if your argument may be sound the context where you are is also another point to think about. (Personal experience: one of my first 'vanilla' games with a theme--I got lynched D1, because while I felt I was right or doing OK, social context had a lesson for me that I didn't know or refine yet, . Also if anyone is curious--BM XXX {The 30th BM, compared to the 60th of now} is my first ever Mafia game, ever. On forums or otherwise. :P Maybe give it a go to see how it was in the old days--I personally find reading others' games if I've the time, to be refreshing and insightful)
Case in point: Why I emphasized 'empathy' along with those other characteristics, is because it helps you learn by noting things by other people. Now I recall one Jim Groovester in memory, because in quoting my first game up there, he has a playstyle that goes with empathy, and that helped me a lot even if I felt attacked back then because it provoked me into thinking more (because I had/have social anxiety :P ).

vishdafish:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Imic
First questions to be answered:
> What is your goal in joining a BM?
> What are your thoughts today, before reading what I've written down below?
Could I join or is it too late? I am new to mafia. Ish. I played a version of it two years ago.
I'm in! Hello all!
Hello and welcome to Bay12, Imic! Forum Mafia is generally different from Physical Mafia (or how other people say real life Mafia :v) for many reasons:
-- Forum Mafia relies solely on text, so the tone of reading lies with the reader; any misunderstandings are best met with asking or stating how you intended the writing to be read, because people get impressions from how the wording, semantics, or structuring can be done.
-- Physical mafia has other ways of communication, such as body language and non-verbal gestures. These make up around 70% of how people communicate, as a general note, because such gestures are important in denoting meaning (ie General feelings of the other person), and is a classic example of the phrase: 'uncertain but indicating'. Body language, while it may be defined in a certain context (ie Have you looked at all those 'how to spot a liar' videos online? :V), cannot be categorized solely under those meanings, as it all depends on the context to be defined (ie In contrast to all those 'how to spot a liar' videos, very few at all even go beyond that to teach body language wholesomely. Like, one may be anxious and display ALL those signs, and the other person doesn't know that because they aren't both trained in actually dealing with this because they've a motive instead {find liars}, and because what they first learned appears SO convincing that it 'can be' true!).
Basically, forum mafia relies more on written or typed work that spoken word--if you can display your ideas concisely, all the better. But never aim for brevity unless you're really busy, as being detailed is a skill to help in communicating.

Now...
Before the mod announces it! Totes mod-kill behaviour etc. etc.

I mean, Imic has replaced roo!
A lone wanderer walks through the blizzard.
He arrives at the inn, and starts to talk to everyone.
Your friend Roo apparantly ran out into the blizzard to get away from all this. I know this 'cause I met him, wandering just a while away from here. He stopped me and gave a few things and asked me to try and help. Someone asked him, 'what did he give you?' The key to his room, replied Imic, as well as some money, and... A cookie. Ddly enough. Ah well, so. What's happening? And, if yer thinkin of leavin like Roo, the blozzard just got worse. I barely made it. Oops.
Because I like towns.
Is there any purpose to this introduction? Did you have any experience where introductions like these helped you?
Also what are you referring to by 'Because I like towns'?
Just stay out of it, just stay out of it...
You have an idea on the matter of pronouns. Go for it.
Making a post like this may give off the impression that you're either anxious, or speaking to yourself/giving out an impression.
But this is a game, not a discussion thread. :P
The entirety of your posts should not be just commentary. They need to have a purpose.
Not much. For all you know, I could be scum. Don't get any ideas, though.
If you are scum with this comment--the scum IC is doing a very bad job.
That said, if you're to make contradictory statements such as these, they won't help your cause in the long run. It's basically saying "hey, put in mind I can be scum, but don't be silly with it."
...Which doesn't help anywhere at all. There's a lack of communication, and a lack of mutual discussion. This doesn't cover what other people are even thinking because it assumes out of uncertainty. Especially in regards to alignment.
It also provokes the idea that "I could be scum" has the opposite implication--it's as if people are thinking everyone else is town already.

So, Imic

Also as a general rule to anyone--votes of any kind should be in a place where they're easily visible, or the Moderator may miss it. Think of it like a hazardous sign or a vocal position of significant intent, it shouldn't be misplaced in a spoiler tag despite someone meaning well, or ESPECIALLY within a botched quote. A botched quote means when there's a lacking [/quote] tag, so the bbcode spills over on everything else, and impressions of reading usually means that it's referring to what someone said earlier instead of now. Just a point ahead of time, because since I grew up here--just like baby's first step, and baby's first word, there's baby's first mistake which costs a whole game. (My first GM on a BM, and the link leads to a person whose vote I missed--which is this post. Sometimes the GM can honestly miss what's going on because of many obligations going along their time.)

LARD

Tiruin, Roo: Could you cast a vote so I can see where you stand? Please don't put it on OSG, but that's just an editorial.
I'm not making a hard stance yet.

Kilojoule Proton

Tiruin and vishdafish: I'll try to reduce the bouncy voting. It's probably annoying to have to process too.
Hey, it's OKAY to make mistakes in a BM. What matters is this:
It was no shame to perceive your limitations, as long as you continued to work to surpass them.
Point being: a BM is for learning--while you can be corrected in them, it's ok to make mistakes within reason, and to improve your communication rather than make mistakes again and again. :P
You making a statement up there clears the idea underlying why you're voting like that, so that's a good step in the right direction too--the statement by itself helps.

Still think Vinshdafish is scummy.
I still think you are scummy.
...OSG, I'm aware that you're pretty experienced at this point, so...could I ask a running impression from you here?

juicebox: Posts please? Along with others' posts, I liked the display of reasoning you have in yours.

I was going to make a post about snow dwarf and what he can improve on...but I'll leave that for when the game is finished since he's replaced out.

LARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: September 13, 2016, 07:49:02 pm »

While nobody seems to be doing anything, I am loathe to extend but maybe people will get back into this after the weekend. Sorry Hector. 

OSG: you're on the block right now, can you convince me to push for vishdafish? I'm close, but he's poking around sort of well now.

Oh and by the way, I strongly suggest not letting a day end with two votes on OSG and one on somebody else because OSG has already proved his readiness to force a nolynch.  I mean, anybody would do it, but I don't know the precedent for that sort of behaviour.
Obama is not middle eastern pacifist who gave out free health care, You're thinking of Jesus

Quote from: God
Nietzsche is dead and I killed him
Quote from: Douglas Adams
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 13, 2016, 07:59:09 pm »

Day 3

Votes

vishdafish - origamiscienceguy (1)
Kilojoule Proton - LARD (1)
LARD -
origamisciencyguy - vishdafish, Kilojoule Proton (2)
Imic - Tiruin (1)
Tiruin -

No Lynch -

Extensions (1 remaining) - 2/2 - LARD, Tiruin

Shortens - 0/3 -

Day 3 has been extended and will end at 2pm on Friday, or 66 hours, 5 minutes.

There are no more extensions remaining for D3

I wouldn't worry about me, I don't really have to do anything.

I will apologize for a lack of flavour in the last few summaries, not doing well recently in terms of sleep, which means I am much more prone to migraines, yay!

I will remind Tiruin that juicebox was NK'd N2, 'cause I think it has something to do with me forgetting that earlier heh.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 14, 2016, 03:06:04 am »

I'm just bad at mafia.
And I talk too much.
I love it anyway.
I'm not gonna argue, I have said incriminating things. Sorry.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 14, 2016, 08:51:45 pm »

I'm just bad at mafia.
And I talk too much.
I love it anyway.
Mafia tip 1:
> In a BM, you 'making mistakes' is OK. So as long as you learn from them constructively.
Mafia tip 2:
> You do not conclude you are 'bad' at something because someone has criticized you right off. You wonder what they're meaning, instead of jumping to conclusions that 'Oh I'm bad :(' because you might not have done well the first time. It's like learning how to walk--baby steps; that's what the BM is for.
Mafia tip 3:
> Communicate. I'm just curious about you, Imic, and as I'm speaking as a player, I'd like my questions answered:
> What is your goal in joining a BM?
> What are your thoughts today, before reading what I've written down below?
Along with:
> Why are you talking about you talking too much? Or worrying about yourself saying incriminating things?
A key point with communication is that words carry meaning. These words also carry an impression. People get impressions--and in forum games, this translates to a very hard or permanent post that you can't edit (by rule of the game unless said otherwise). What matters here is that you can follow this up in your later posts; make a clarification or communicate on what is said :O But always add more to what's being done. Personally, it's not just a thing for 'towniness', but of the development of a person's communication skills: To be able to handle stressful situations, to be able to handle 'being attacked' in a safe setting, etc.

Sometimes, something seems like an argument when the person is merely curious--but the impression feels like you're under attack. That may probably be because of the red and bold color. :P Now to clarify--I'm curious about you; welcome to having a pressure vote, which usually means voting someone because of a certain impression on the voter's side. In my case, it's curiosity and a nudge for proactivity :3
I want to hear from you newbies because unless anything important comes up--I will be tying the vote.
This game is for the development of newbies, IMO anyway. :P
When you're in a vanilla game, you'll encounter a lot of pressure. I do not want to see that interest and passion wane just because your first impressions of a game, or any game for that matter, was met with you flailing around and then messing up then feeling bad about it. You can do all that without feeling bad about it, and learn from it all though--but since I'm not one to personally generalize that chance, I'm really going smooth here :P

Now on that course of tying the vote--in any ordinary game, that's counter to Town's motives, as a lynch equals information even if people are uncertain of the target; what takes priority here is that the issuing of a lynch should also equate either PROGRESS or INFORMATION. Randomly lynching people on the note that you may probably get scum is...possible, but extremely ineffective and a unanimous note of spending time badly--the DAY time of B12 mafia generally runs from 2-3 days, to how much it takes to extend. In cases of HAMMER-games, this runs until a consensus is made on the votes. Hence why there is always a nudge by ICs in BMs to keep the players proactive (and why I made a specific line in the OP-which is now nicely copied into the new BMs as happy as I am about it, to be active because inactivity kills the fun, and games are for fun, rather than winning :V because winning implies fun. But fun for the most # of people rather than someone just wanting to win and probably pump up the ego and all).

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 15, 2016, 03:59:06 am »

1: what's a BM?
2: I accept that you have made good points, and hat I probably won't survive beyond tonight :D happy!
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 15, 2016, 04:20:20 am »

1: what's a BM?
2: I accept that you have made good points, and hat I probably won't survive beyond tonight :D happy!
Oh huh ._. I forgot to mention that.
BM is an acronym for Beginner's Mafia. :P That's the usual term used to talk about games like these.

Also you really need to communicate more dude. I can't force you to grow, but a good point to learn early on is to be less self-centered. No matter your wincondition--unless you're an independent third-party, you win with your team even if you die off during the game phases and timeline.

As for third-party roles, these range from team-like winconditions (as in, you're connected to other singular individuals, tasked to protect them or have them alive or anything related to a happening towards them), and at times you may get roles that are solely individualistic, like the classic Survivor. No matter how it goes--self-consciousness is something you should get under control; worrying about your own survival then posting about it (in a brief post) will garner as much attention as how much you've typed into it. If what you typed is like 5%+ of your total post quality, it's going to get attention. :P
Don't worry about your survival--and I say this as an IC, because it's needless to mention in games. Like for example, if I was scum, I'd suspect you in being a powerrole because of how you keep mentioning the priority of your survival (at least that's what it entails with you making gestures in that manner).

You need to participate too, Imic. c:
...Just like the rest of y'all. :I

Can I get a restatement of why people are voting their target?
> Why do you think the person you're voting best deserves that vote for the lynch?

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 15, 2016, 06:31:21 am »

Well, I find LARD suspicious.
He's arguing a lot about how Vishdafish is scummy...
... And Vishdafish... Idunno. He hasn't said enough while I'm watching.
Hmmm...
But he didn't really give reason for lynching TBF...
I... Hooo...
I shall save my vote. Am not sure which one is scummier.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: September 15, 2016, 08:18:36 am »

Kilojoule Proton is being replaced due to inactivity.

LARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia LX: The Sickening Six - Day 3 - 1 Replacement Needed!
« Reply #268 on: September 15, 2016, 10:41:40 am »

Kilojoule Proton (or whoever replaces him) has my vote because of bouncing his vote around, not having a valid reason for voting on Origamiscienceguy, jumping the bandwagon on OSG, removing his vote when pressured, and generally not having reasons for what he's doing. 

I am however engaged in a discussion with vishdafish and considering voting for him instead for reasons summarized here.
Jumping on TBF when the experienced players were voting for him
Very active but not saying much other than to defend himself
Making assumptions about the actions of scum and power roles that are useless, but something about which the mafia would be thinking.

Well, on reconsidering, I think that that's enough to vote for Vishdafish.

Imic: Perhaps you should read my discussion with Vishdafish.  You're not on the chopping block Imic, and even if you were it wouldn't be a good idea to play like it.  You will probably survive the night.  Scum like to kill more experienced players. 
Obama is not middle eastern pacifist who gave out free health care, You're thinking of Jesus

Quote from: God
Nietzsche is dead and I killed him
Quote from: Douglas Adams
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia LX: The Sickening Six - Day 3 - 1 Replacement Needed!
« Reply #269 on: September 15, 2016, 11:29:44 am »

University, don't ever give up. There have been situations where I was on the chopping block for the entire day, but I kept fighting until someone (actually Hector, I believe) slipped, and got voted for. I was scum that game, but uncoiled have easily done the same thing as town, so don't ever give up.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 26