Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: Coolest discoveries yet!  (Read 11414 times)

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Coolest discoveries yet!
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2007, 10:10:00 am »

Nobles are doing actual work instead of just loitering about! And I can assign regular dwarves to managerial positions.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2007, 02:00:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by BurnedToast:
<STRONG>The elven traders are no longer useless!

In addition to the normal berries and rope reed cloth, they bring a ton of wooden arrows and a few bows (which afaik dwarves can't use), some barrels of booze (yay), a bunch of seeds to plant outside (sunberries? wonder what those are..) a bunch of wooden armor and weapons (lol..) some logs, and best of all.....

A pet grizzly bear!</STRONG>

Well. Sounds like everyone has some apologizing to do to those elves.

takaratiki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2007, 02:43:00 pm »

Deep, deep basements. I've bottomed out 18 levels below surface in a fierce gabbro strat. The possibilities that this allows for are truly bewildering (how cathedral do our cathedral ceilings need to be?) Mind you, I am somewhat suspicious of the structural integrity of the vault of a meeting hall built out of loamy sand, but still...
Sharpen your boots, and bludgeon your eye.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2007, 02:43:00 pm »

Wait... so it's wrong to kill animals, but capturing a gigantic wild carnivore to be your pet is OK somehow?  Damn those elves, damn them to heck.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2007, 02:47:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Name Lips:
<STRONG>When my miners detect wet stone where I don't already suspect there to be water... they STOP DIGGING. They automatically deselect that square saying, "you know, Chief, I think there just might be a lake on the other side of that wall. And I don't feel like drowning today, you know?"</STRONG>

I actually count this as a pain more than anything.  Pools in caverns wet the stone *below* them, which can be dug out safely without releasing water, but if I want to dig around underneath the pool, I have to continually assign one square at a time, because my dorfs are big babies, afraid of a little wet stone...

Chork

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2007, 03:17:00 pm »

Starting a new fortress only to find a hand's worth of fingery chasms waiting for me outside... and a pack of pissed-off troglodytes.  Luckily for me, I always bring war dogs.

THE COOLNESS: the new name generator.  It was kinda cool having a random name forced upon you, but *seriously* cooler that you can create some really twisted place and group names of your own.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2007, 05:52:00 pm »

You mean like the Dark-Child of War?

ChrisSketch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2007, 06:03:00 pm »

I just started a settlement on the coast. Anyone see the Blue Sharks yet? I bet they hurt and by Armok they're fast!  :eek: I'm planning some sort of settlement around the river that runs into the gulf. (It cut a small canyon so I'm really really excited about that.)

(BTW I guess my lappy is just really beefy but the new build runs much much faster overall than the last version!)

oldwindways

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2007, 06:15:00 pm »

I was amazed to find that a group of Kobold Bowmen stationed on the edge of my map shot to death a Kobold Master Thief when he wandered too near to them.  You would think there was some honor among thieves.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

John

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2007, 06:58:00 pm »

"Mebzuth Egosalam is assertive.  He likes a good thrill.  He tends not to openly express emotions.  He finds helping others very rewarding.  He is occasionally given to procrastination."

This is so cool.

gloogorshkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vine-gar.tk
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2007, 07:02:00 pm »

The kobolds used to do that in the old version, too.  In one of my fortresses, every few seasons I would get a message informing me of a thief, then one (in the same spot) informing me of a Kobold Ambushing Party, and then they'd fill the thief with arrows and run away.

On the note of cool new things, you can smooth ore veins now! Hooray!

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2007, 09:17:00 pm »

I started a fortress in a pretty sweet karst-looking area (a terraced mountain, with limestone, but also a layer of soil on the cliffs outside).  As I was digging my first living area, I got a message "you have struck magnetite".  "So what?" I thought, as I dug through a huge wall of the stuff, many squares thick.

Then later I looked it up on the wiki... turns out it is an iron ore.

On top of that, the whole effing mountain we are on seems to be limestone for at least several squares into the cliff face.  If only we can find coal or magma somewhere, we will have enough steel to build a giant tower out of the stuff.

BTW- is magnetite and hematite more or less the same thing as far as smelting goes?

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2007, 10:05:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Misterstone:
<STRONG>I started a fortress in a pretty sweet karst-looking area (a terraced mountain, with limestone, but also a layer of soil on the cliffs outside).  As I was digging my first living area, I got a message "you have struck magnetite".  "So what?" I thought, as I dug through a huge wall of the stuff, many squares thick.

Then later I looked it up on the wiki... turns out it is an iron ore.

On top of that, the whole effing mountain we are on seems to be limestone for at least several squares into the cliff face.  If only we can find coal or magma somewhere, we will have enough steel to build a giant tower out of the stuff.

BTW- is magnetite and hematite more or less the same thing as far as smelting goes?</STRONG>

Magnetite and hematite seem to be about the same thing except that magnetite seems to be in massive clumps while hematite is in veins. To find magma look on the mini map for a red tinted square. Zoom up and down a few levels to find one. dig straight down in that square and somewhere in there you will find magma. (I think) Coal has a current problem where it only produces one bar of coke per coal used. Also limestone is not the only flux that can be used. Look on the stones screen and it will tell you of a few others that can be used.

My coolest discovery was when I discovered that you could have an open magma vent near sand. Bring lots of bags and make the emerald city out of green glass. Literally free everything. An infinite supply of goods.

Note: Red Sand does not become red glass when melted. It is still green glass. I'm so disappointed.

niltrias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gaijinninjas.com
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2007, 10:12:00 pm »

Minimap?  I had heard of it,but I can't seem to find it anywhere.  How do you bring up a minimap?
Gero! Gero! Bwahahahaha!

Surma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2007, 10:26:00 pm »

THLawrence refers to the embark screen. The local area map (the one on the far left) will have a double ~ in red to indicate a magma vent. these can be anywhere but are most common around volcanoes (well duh  :p). And of course, volcanoes are little red ^ on the general map (the middle one).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12