Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12

Author Topic: Coolest discoveries yet!  (Read 11410 times)

DonerKebab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Coolest discoveries yet!
« Reply #150 on: May 09, 2008, 11:23:00 am »

Just saw two dwarves continually fighting over a horse.  One was trying to chain it, the other to slaughter it.  They kept passing it back and forth until I turned slaughter off.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 10, 2008, 06:09:00 am »

racoons stealing my food!   :mad:
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #152 on: May 10, 2008, 12:01:00 pm »

My favorite is how its possible to make floating fortresses  :D
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 10, 2008, 12:27:00 pm »

I think this was already said, but whatever.

I had just gotten my first magma forge (Yay!) when a bunch of dwarves where being scared off by an imp.  So, I sent some marksdwarves down there, and suddenly... The imp threw a freaking FIREBALL at my guys.  A Fireball.  The place filled up with smoke, my guys where on fire, chaos ensued.  I think I also had my first berserk dwarf too.

Another great discovery was when I had goblins invade my fort... through the drainage system.  It was winter, and I had a waterfall going through my dining hall, which drained into a pond down below.  Well, the goblins decided to walk on the frozen water and waltz into the center of my fortress.  Not expecting that at all.  It was pretty cool.

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Crnobog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 10, 2008, 12:37:00 pm »

I just found out you can reclaim a site along with it's previous occupants (if any were left alive). They aren't controllable, they just hang around. Military dwarves will attack any hostiles though...ahh, the possibilities.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 10, 2008, 01:47:00 pm »

The game in general. . .
Specifically, writting a fairly sarcastic short vocab assaignment about some dwarfs founding a fortress. I mentioned the mechanic 'Cloud' falling in love the the cook 'Aeirs.' I flooded my current fortress (Another discovery, Water flows through corners!) and started a new one. They became lovers within the first month!
The first time everyone was sleeping, I noticed a blinking C. I 'v'ed it and it said bronze coluosess! As I was swearing it saw a cat walk down the staircase and followed it into the fort. It killed all of my dwarves while they slept. The person who woke up was the one who had his arm ripped off.
 Sigh. <Builds>
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 10, 2008, 01:49:00 pm »

I reread the post and strangly enough, my current map has a magma in a crater with iron and slugmen too. . .
Even the avatars expire eventually.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 10, 2008, 03:58:00 pm »

Coolest discovery ever... When I found out I could change z-levels. My first fortress was dug into the side of a cliff where it survived there for almost 3 years. I didn't know about z-levels and when I started my next fortress on a flat plane, I had no idea what to do. I ended up with an above ground fortress with no walls and wooden workshops spread out over the place. My dwarves got slaughtered by the first siege.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 11, 2008, 12:43:00 pm »

"The Dwarves have given a resident Cave Swallowman the name Val(tree symbol?)k Nirasmel" wich is especially funny seeing that this critter lives 44 levels beneath my fortress (in a chasm wich my dwarves haven't come near to yet)
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 11, 2008, 03:57:00 pm »

It's fearsome reputation travels by spores.  ;)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

supremeMang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 12, 2008, 07:18:00 am »

im building my very vertical fortress into a cliff face, and wanted to tidy up the sides for a nice rectangular tower. so i decided to dig out the bottom lvl and put in supports, then thought id be able to cleave it off by digging a line of channels down from the roof. took my lone miner ages, but when all was finally ready i pulled the supports out and nothing happened...

went up to the very top (a good 20lvls) and there was one constructed floor tile left- keeping what would be 1000's of tones of rock and ore suspended.

tried to remove the tile and of course the bearded retards refused to do it without standing on the wrong side. all in all there was a huge explosion but the section i was dropping only fell 1 zlevel and proved to be basically a waste of time and life.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 12, 2008, 08:00:00 am »

Holy crap. Saw this last night.

A goblin tower right next to an open chasm. There were chasm creatures everywhere  making regular attacks on the tower. I had to turn off the combat announcement screen because the goblin macelord and axelord were taking down dozens of creatures. When I reached the entrance, it was completely covered with blood, ichor and bodies of ratmen, giant moles and goblin drunks.

Entering the tower showed more of the same. Some rooms were clean, but others were just as much of messes as the first room. There seemed to be more creatures than goblins in there. Every time I did come across a goblin, they were being swarmed by invaders.

Finally, after an entire level with no messes(I assumed that all the goblins all traveled down to meet the invaders), I came across the largest one of all. A LOT more bodies, and the occasional guard corpse. In fact, there was nothing left alive. After deciding to enter the roof, I was greeted by the familiar message of a Macelord.

Oddly enough, throwing at good-quality spear at him did a one-hit kill. So deciding that it was just too cheap, I decided the axelord would meet an honorable fate. I met him on the roof.

It was amazing! Batmen flying down on top of us, me slamming antmen into the fortifications with my hammer, explosions of gore everywhere. It was awesome. And the fight itself was something grand. My adventurer died when his head was chopped off, but the axelord died from the batmen because of the injuries I had given him.

I later discovered many immigration waves just outside of the tower. Do massacres cause residents to move away?

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #162 on: May 12, 2008, 03:43:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Duke 2.0:
<STRONG>Holy crap. Saw this last night.

A goblin tower right next to an open chasm. There were chasm creatures everywhere  making regular attacks on the tower. I had to turn off the combat announcement screen because the goblin macelord and axelord were taking down dozens of creatures. When I reached the entrance, it was completely covered with blood, ichor and bodies of ratmen, giant moles and goblin drunks.

Entering the tower showed more of the same. Some rooms were clean, but others were just as much of messes as the first room. There seemed to be more creatures than goblins in there. Every time I did come across a goblin, they were being swarmed by invaders.

Finally, after an entire level with no messes(I assumed that all the goblins all traveled down to meet the invaders), I came across the largest one of all. A LOT more bodies, and the occasional guard corpse. In fact, there was nothing left alive. After deciding to enter the roof, I was greeted by the familiar message of a Macelord.

Oddly enough, throwing at good-quality spear at him did a one-hit kill. So deciding that it was just too cheap, I decided the axelord would meet an honorable fate. I met him on the roof.

It was amazing! Batmen flying down on top of us, me slamming antmen into the fortifications with my hammer, explosions of gore everywhere. It was awesome. And the fight itself was something grand. My adventurer died when his head was chopped off, but the axelord died from the batmen because of the injuries I had given him.

I later discovered many immigration waves just outside of the tower. Do massacres cause residents to move away?</STRONG>

Imagine how kickass that would look if DF was in 3d  ;)

Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 12, 2008, 09:29:00 pm »

Finding out then when you accidentally drop a half-dozen floor tiles, two miners, and three war dogs into magma, that it splashes up onto the above floor, and leaves deadly magma mist.

..Have I just found a new trap design?!  :D

<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

e_i_pi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 13, 2008, 01:14:00 pm »

So I'm alerted to an approaching enemy in the Haunted desert I've started in, by the death of three of the dogs, 2 of which are War Dogs.  A nightwing.  I don't know what it is, but considering the name of my fort is Hellgate, I decide I better mobilise, just to be safe.

2 dead dwarves and 1 dead Nightwing later, one of the dwarves, who is severely crippled, crawls into a mud pit and wallows there, dying of thirst, tossing his clothes behind him.  I wonder what's going on, why he's not gone to the barracks if he can crawl around.  I mean he was crawling slowly... very slowly it seems... enough to witness something... something amazing...

"Endured the decay of a loved one"

Totally... frikkin... awesome.

Kj

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12